Packers' Injury Report Clears !!!

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Posted November 28, 2007

Packers' injury outlook clears

Woodson, KGB listed as questionable, but McCarthy says 'our guys will be ready to play'

By Tom Pelissero

The medical tempest that had swirled around the Green Bay Packers since last week was downgraded to a drizzle on Tuesday as preparations wound down for Thursday night's showdown with the Dallas Cowboys.

Cornerback Charles Woodson and end Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila are questionable for the game, according to coach Mike McCarthy, but Woodson completed the jog-through portion of practice and Gbaja-Biamila pronounced himself ready to play.

Mark Tauscher missed practice again, but McCarthy said his sprained ankle is better than last week, meaning he'll probably be in his usual spot at right tackle.

Safety Nick Collins, out since Nov. 4 because of a knee injury, completed a third straight practice and most likely will resume his starting role.

Eleven players were listed on Tuesday's injury report — the first of two this week, thanks to the Thursday-Thursday schedule — but nine completed at least part of practice.

McCarthy remained coy on the makeup of his 45-man game-day roster, in part because Woodson, Gbaja-Biamila, safety Aaron Rouse and perhaps others will be game-time decisions. But with the exception of losing No. 4 defensive tackle Colin Cole, placed on injured reserve Sunday with a broken arm, the Packers' prognosis is far more positive than it seemed it might be after their second win in five days Thursday at Detroit. Two other starters who injured knees against the Lions — receiver Donald Driver and defensive tackle Ryan Pickett — weren't even listed on the injury report.

"This goes on week in and week out," McCarthy said of the injuries. "Our guys will be ready to play. We have a plan. Our coaches have to put our players in the best position to be successful against the Cowboys. We feel like we've done that."

Unlike other weeks, when McCarthy had removed pads from some practices and shortened others, injuries didn't affect the Packers' work the past three days.

Nor, apparently, did the approach of the toughest test yet for a team that began the season as the NFL's youngest. The atmosphere inside The Don Hutson Center was typically loose, and players roundly denied anyone was affected by the buildup surrounding the clash of NFC front-runners.

"We relaxed, kicked back, you know what I'm saying?" defensive tackle Corey Williams said. "We're ready. We prepared for them just like we prepared for everybody else."

"We're loosey-goosey and having fun, but at the same time, when it comes to getting our work done, we're getting our work done," receiver Koren Robinson said. "Coach McCarthy doesn't want a lot of tight people around here. It's not going to help the flow of the locker room."

Though the Packers were scheduled to depart for Dallas this afternoon, Woodson's injured toe and Gbaja-Biamila's sprained ankle, among other injuries, will be re-evaluated until hours before Thursday's 7:15 p.m. kickoff.

Woodson, who injured the big toe on his right foot on a punt return against Detroit, wasn't in the locker room when it was open to reporters this week. McCarthy repeated Tuesday the 10th-year veteran was showing improvement while undergoing round-the-clock treatment.

Gbaja-Biamila, tied for fourth in the NFL with 9½ sacks, ran through agility tests with trainers and said he passed with "flying colors."

"It's a coach's call, but I feel good. I'm ready to play," said Gbaja-Biamila, whose right leg was bent under him in an ugly collision with Lions lineman Blaine Saipaia. "I think that when I'm out there, I'm going to be ready to go 100 percent. ... It's a big game, and I want to be in it."

As expected, defensive tackle Johnny Jolly (shoulder) was ruled out for Thursday. The lone negative revelation on the injury front Tuesday was a setback for tight end Bubba Franks' knee, but the Packers haven't lost a game since he was hurt Oct. 14.

So, it's on to Dallas, in relatively good health as the national spotlight intensifies.

"I think they've handled it very well," McCarthy said. "The attention to detail has been good. I go off the pulse of practice, what it looks like on film. We've had a good week of preparation."

"It's human nature. We recognize this is a big game," said running back Ryan Grant, who was listed on the injury report with a rib injury, but said he's fine. "We understand we both have the same record. This is a big game. We're both 10-1. But at the same time, we understand that if we take care of this game and don't take care of the other games (it doesn't matter). Everything has to be in perspective."

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts