Packers incorporate 4 LB package into D

Reaction score
I'm surprised this didn't get a thread...

A tidbit from JSOnline's Greg Bedard:

Without divulging what the situation and other personnel were, the Packers had four linebackers on the field at one point: Brandon Chillar, A.J. Hawk, Nick Barnett and Brady Poppinga. I saw that on more than one occasion during the mini-camp.

Source

Interesting IMO. My initial guess would be that the Packers might have incorporated a 3-4 package into their D, which would be pretty neat. I wonder who the D-line personnel might be for such a package though.

Prehaps Jenkins, Pickett, Montgomery/Kampman from left to right? Harrell might be able to line up at RE instead of Jenkins if healthy.

The LB personnel seems prefect though. Hawk and Poppinga on the outside, with Popp being the pass-rushing threat. Barnett and Chillar on the inside, Chillar's versatility at the LB spot comes in handy here.

I wonder what down and distance the Packers would think about employing the package with 4 LBs (may not necessarily be a 3-4 package), and do we actually have the D-Line personnel to run a 3-4?

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We not only have the personnel to pull this off, I think it's a great idea. Give opposing O's something to think about. I love the idea of mixing up the 4-3 and the 3-4. Cause headaches for opponents.

I just hope we can pull this off in regular season.

My guess who plays on the DL - Kampman, Pickett or Harrell, Jenkins. Jenkins will be recovered from his injury (knock on wood) and will be much more a force. Pickett is our main big man in the middle and Harrell will come in either in the middle or giving Jenkins a breather.

I'd love to see either Hawk or Poppinga blitz. Don't give O's time to think.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Maybe with our style of defense.. an in your face bump coverage.. they are willing to let the corners cover the outer hash solo.. a safety in the middle with lots of range (Collins) and 8 in the box.. which they can blitz scheme or drop any combination of backers into the short zones and still be stout up front.

Think in terms of the old days of LeRoy playing in the box and bailing out into coverage.. with this scheme the QB would have to be really focusing on who is comming.. where the drops are comming from and still have to contend with at the least a 4 man rush with possible blitzers.. against a conventional passing attack that would probably be pretty effective if the corners can hold their ground..

Interesting twist.. IMO.. we are two small at DE, excluding Jenkins to play a 3-4 in non passing type situations.. but a 4-4 with heavy bumps on the TE might play well.

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
its more likely Poppinga is playing up at the line as a DE/LB tweener. Could be good though, you have to think that Sanders will try get Chillar on the field any ways possibly.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
I'm surprised this didn't get a thread...

A tidbit from JSOnline's Greg Bedard:

Without divulging what the situation and other personnel were, the Packers had four linebackers on the field at one point: Brandon Chillar, A.J. Hawk, Nick Barnett and Brady Poppinga. I saw that on more than one occasion during the mini-camp.

Source

Interesting IMO. My initial guess would be that the Packers might have incorporated a 3-4 package into their D, which would be pretty neat. I wonder who the D-line personnel might be for such a package though.

Prehaps Jenkins, Pickett, Montgomery/Kampman from left to right? Harrell might be able to line up at RE instead of Jenkins if healthy.

The LB personnel seems prefect though. Hawk and Poppinga on the outside, with Popp being the pass-rushing threat. Barnett and Chillar on the inside, Chillar's versatility at the LB spot comes in handy here.

I wonder what down and distance the Packers would think about employing the package with 4 LBs (may not necessarily be a 3-4 package), and do we actually have the D-Line personnel to run a 3-4?

If the Packers are low at DT then a 3-4 is possible. I actually think maybe a 4-4 defense would be better especially on running downs. You take out the FS and play the SS along with the four backers and four down lineman.

With the man to man coverage the Pack use, it wouldn't be a stretch to see that happen. Of course this will still be a 4-3 team most of the time. Doesn't hurt to show the offense different looks though especially since I think that most of the QB's in this division struggle in reading defenses.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Interesting twist.. IMO.. we are two small at DE, excluding Jenkins to play a 3-4 in non passing type situations.. but a 4-4 with heavy bumps on the TE might play well.

Agree with your other points but disagree with this one. Jenkins is good sized for the 3-4 on run downs and Aaron Kampman plays much bigger than his size, but has the quickness of someone smaller.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Is it a 3-4? Did it say that? Maybe it's 4line,4Lbs,1 safety,2 CBs.

Maybe it's a short yardage package like the 46 (although that had 2 safeties, but one was where an LB would be.).

Wrinkles, baby. Wrinkles. Tavaris Jackson is gonna die.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pickett would be good as a nose tackle in the 3-4, and Jenkins would be good as a 3-4 DE. It's hard to picture who would be that other 3-4 DE, though. As much as I like Kampman, he may be a little undersized. But I don't think it matters much. The 3-4 will probably be used as an occasional change of pace, at most. The Patriots have a hybrid defense, which is mostly 3-4 but uses a lot of 4-3, so maybe the Packers are thinking they could have some success going in that direction.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
everyones going 3-4 crazy and we're not even sure thats what it was. lol.

sigh....every year. every year.

some people just like the 3-4.

OP
OP
A
Reaction score

Fair point.

I did think of going into a bit of a scenario where we'd be a 4-4-1 (+ 2 CBs). I really didn't have the time to delve that deep, but it definitely might not be a 3-4.

I found it odd that Bedard only wrote "4 LBs on the field" instead of saying the Packers used a 3-4 formation.

Should be a fun TC + preseason.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:

Fair point.

I did think of going into a bit of a scenario where we'd be a 4-4-1 (+ 2 CBs). I really didn't have the time to delve that deep, but it definitely might not be a 3-4.

I found it odd that Bedard only wrote "4 LBs on the field" instead of saying the Packers used a 3-4 formation.

Should be a fun TC + preseason.

You said it, brother.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It excites me! I'd like to see more imagination in our D. Gives the other teams O more to worry about! Plus, like was already stated, we have the players to do it! I bet the D guys are DROOLING over the possibilities!

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From my own experience playing football if u have a talented FS and Rover you can make the 4-4 work really well. Its a beast for run stopping. I believe Rouse was a Rover for Virginia Tech.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ten bucks says Aaron Rouse is involved.

I won't take that bet. I see Rouse having a bigger role in '08. I predicted him to be starting by week 9 over Collins. Regardless, we might see him and Collins on the field at the same time in some strange Defensive sets.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Collins and Bigby will be our starting safeties through the season, depending only on health, IMO.

And what if it was our standard 4-3? Nothing said that Brady was actually lined up as an LB. I think the Packers' staff was considering using him as a situational hand-in-the-ground rush DE.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not to rain on anybody's parade, but I just had a thought: Maybe the 4 LB sets were just for giving the offense some practice against that look, and maybe also for getting Poppinga and Chillar on the field at the same time so the coaching staff can make direct comparisons between them.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
Not to rain on anybody's parade, but I just had a thought: Maybe the 4 LB sets were just for giving the offense some practice against that look, and maybe also for getting Poppinga and Chillar on the field at the same time so the coaching staff can make direct comparisons between them.

Ah man!

Here I was drooling as the prospect of mixing up the 3-4 and the 4-3 just to keep opposing O's guessing and here you are ruining all the fun. :roll:

Danreb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Poppinga might be lining up at DE. He's been trying it lately.

But Belichick's teams are solid because they mix it up and have a different base defense every drive. As long as the Packers do what they do right, and keep Harris and Woodson pressing--anything is possible.

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Poppinga lined up at DE last year on occasions in the Packers nickel package.

Members online

Latest posts