Packers in 07'

C-Mize

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've put together what I think the Packers should do in terms of the 2007 Free Agency, and the 2007 Draft. I know there is a seperate Draft discussion above, but it doenst get enough traffic and I wanted some peoples opinions /critiques of my research. THANKS

2007 Packers Free Agents:

TE- Eric Johnson : He has good hands, and is sneaky quick for a big guy. Adds the recieving TE element we need.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

QB- Tim Rattay : Smart veteran, could come in handy if A-Rod blows

CB- Roderick Hood: Good young corner, and getting better. Can learn a lot from Harris/Woodson

S-Ken Hamlin: Good saftey, considering how bad Manuel has been, maybe the guy that started over him will be better.

2007 NFL Draft

1.) Ted Ginn WR -- May be the Reggie Bush of this draft as far as a guy who can stretch a D to open it up for the rest of the team. His athleticism is too much to pass up. He could turn into Steve Smith and Desmond Howard all rolled up in one. Green Bay needs a spark like this from the best playmaker in the draft.

2.) Kenny Irons RB -- Should be a 1st rounder, but after his less than stellar season his stock has fallen. Great all around runner, and we have seen what kind of RBs Auburn puts out, good ones.

3.) Brandon Meriweather S -- More known for his "incident" than the fact that he has been best Miami defender since Sean Taylor. His style would mesh well with Nick Collins.

4.) Mike Otto OT -- Large (6-5, 305), the anchor of a Purdue line that only allowed 9 sacks this year. Hard worker, and would fit in well with what the Packers are trying to do. He is smart enough to pick up the Zone Blocking Scheme. Would perfer a guy like Ryan Harris-OL Notre Dame, but he will go in the 3rd round, and Otto is the best bet for ZBS afterwords.

5.) Mkristo Bruce DE -- Kampman type guy produces, but lacks big time talent. Could rotate with KGB, would be a great addition to our up&coming DLine.

6.) Louis Leonard DT -- Big guy (6-5, 320-350),Big two gap run stopper, who can take on double teams and clog the middle. Has good agility for a man his size. Gets a solid push on the pocket and can occasionally find himself in the opponent’s backfield. Tough guy who will play hurt. Lacks great lateral mobility. His potential is too much to pass up in the 6th and would be a great value if he filled his potential (a la Gilbert Brown/ Grady Jackson)

7.) DeAndre Jackson CB -- Being on Iowa State, he is overshadowed by other good Big12 corners. Although he is a little short 6ft, he is still a hard working player. He is a little slow (4.5 -40 time) which hurts his stock.

What do you yall think ?? Thanks

Cliff

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IMO, the 3 biggest needs in 2007 are SS, TE and WR.

Dump Marquand Manuel and Bubba Franks.

tkpckfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i like the free agent pickups and yes depending on what we do with green will probally decide on who we pick first. i want to resign green and draft bigtime reciever/playmaker in teddy ginn. i like the idea of getting hamlin and it could be possible. i wouldnt mind getting michael lewis either as safety. he has struggled a little this year but he has the playmaking ability. eric johnson would be a nice te pickup, although hes known to get hurt alot, i think he could be worth the risk aka woodson.

2nd round pick i say we draft either runningback, defensive end, or reciever. depending on what we do with first round and where were at which probally will be around 13-18 somewhere in that range.

with the other draft picks i agree draft a big solid strong tackle/guard. also a safety

Packersfan43084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Favre is gonna come back, so Rattay isn't necessary. Ted Ginn is a very good player but we're gonna be picking in the late teens, so chances are he'll be gone. So, I'd like to see us pick up Jarrett from USC or trade down and pick Samardzija from Notre Dame.

Cubanpenguin

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I say we should go for Ed Reed, he's a free agent and just imagine what he could do for our defense!

OP
OP
C

C-Mize

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Favre is gonna come back, so Rattay isn't necessary. Ted Ginn is a very good player but we're gonna be picking in the late teens, so chances are he'll be gone. So, I'd like to see us pick up Jarrett from USC or trade down and pick Samardzija from Notre Dame.

As of now, we would be picking 12th, I believe. It is very possible to still have Ginn available, it comes down to who the Vikings draft seeing as the other teams ahead of us would most likely not draft Ginn.

OP
OP
C

C-Mize

Cheesehead
Reaction score
isnt eric johnsson always injured???

Yes, but he is the best free agent TE, that is unless Tony Gonzales does not resign w/ KC. Daniel Graham should also be considered as a top free agent TE, but he is more a block-oriented TE.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I say we should go for Ed Reed, he's a free agent and just imagine what he could do for our defense!

I can just imangine people blaming Ted for not picking up this guy, cuz Ted is to cheap... :rubeyes:

Reed signs 6 year extension June of 2006

The Ravens and Ed Reed have agreed to a deal on a six-year contract extension.

The extension will make Reed the highest paid safety in the National Football League.

The deal will run through the end of the 2012 season

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not high on Ted Ginn at all. In fact I think he has BUST written all over him. He's more of an athlete than a receiver. He has average at best hands. He's not polished at all. His route running while improved is not as good as it could be. He's very raw and has a lot of work to do before he becomes anything special. Probably should’ve stayed in school but he’s going to enter. He'll go high because of his upside but he's a project that coaches will have to be patient with. Frankly from what I've seen he won't pan out in my opinion. Reminds me of Troy Williamson or Desmond Howard because of that. I think Jarrett goes before him anyways. Jarrett is far more polished and could have a bigger impact early on.

Kenny Irons is another one I just don’t like. He’s a late 1st, early 2nd round draft pick. He is a good downhill runner but isn’t a big play maker. He has been nagged by injuries in the past and just isn’t that explosive. He would probably fit in the zone blocking scheme. Reminds me a bit of Mike Anderson. Will overachieve when healthy but nothing special.

For free agency I rather see the Packers sign a DE with big money. I really think Justin Smith would make a great tandem with Aaron Kampman. I know Jenkins is playing good right now but he's also a UFA and probably not much of an every down player. Besides the rotation of Smith, Jenkins, Kampman, Pickett, and Corey Williams would be nice for out D.

Ken Hamlin is somone I have mixed feelings about. I think he is solid but he's more of a run stopping safety and kind of a liability in pass coverage. Though that can be worked on easily and he would be a huge upgrade over Manuel. I think I would feel the same way about him as I did Woodson. Has huge upside but there is still some questions.

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not high on Ted Ginn at all. In fact I think he has BUST written all over him. He's more of an athlete than a receiver. He has average at best hands. He's not polished at all. His route running while improved is not as good as it could be. He's very raw and has a lot of work to do before he becomes anything special. Probably should’ve stayed in school but he’s going to enter. He'll go high because of his upside but he's a project that coaches will have to be patient with. Frankly from what I've seen he won't pan out in my opinion. Reminds me of Troy Williamson or Desmond Howard because of that. I think Jarrett goes before him anyways. Jarrett is far more polished and could have a bigger impact early on.

As a diehard Buckeye fan I can concur with this assessment of Ted Ginn. Don't get me wrong I love the guy and would pull for him if he became a Packer, but at best he would take 3 years to develope as a receiver in this league. Especially in the WCO. He's also kind of smallish at 6'/175 lbs. He likes to "dance" too much rather than just hitting a hole and goin'. At best in the first year he would give us a solid KR and PR along with possibly being a deep threat as a #3 or #4 WR. Probably a #4 at best once K-rob gets back. Just not worth it for a first round pick. If I was to get anyone from OSU that I know for sure is leaving it'd be the DT Quinn Pitcock. The guy is like a white Cullen Jenkins. Very athletic and high motor. That's just saying OSU, though. Dwayne Jarret would be a good pickup in the teens. Could win those one on one battles for jump balls etc etc.

flapackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score

As a diehard Buckeye fan I can concur with this assessment of Ted Ginn. Don't get me wrong I love the guy and would pull for him if he became a Packer, but at best he would take 3 years to develope as a receiver in this league. Especially in the WCO. He's also kind of smallish at 6'/175 lbs. He likes to "dance" too much rather than just hitting a hole and goin'. At best in the first year he would give us a solid KR and PR along with possibly being a deep threat as a #3 or #4 WR. Probably a #4 at best once K-rob gets back. Just not worth it for a first round pick. If I was to get anyone from OSU that I know for sure is leaving it'd be the DT Quinn Pitcock. The guy is like a white Cullen Jenkins. Very athletic and high motor. That's just saying OSU, though. Dwayne Jarret would be a good pickup in the teens. Could win those one on one battles for jump balls etc etc.

Right. Ginn is too short and too light. Receivers his size if he pumps up a little are Harrison, bruce, Steve Smith, Santana Moss, Laverneous Coles. Ginn may be as fast as all of them but he doesnt have their agility or hands. He doesnt start and stop as quick as those guys and the only thing ive ever seen Ginn do is run the deep homerun pattern which wont work for a short receiver in the NFL. Think about it, when the OSU Buckeyes need first downs and big catches, i see Anthony Gonzalez make more than Ginn. I'd rather take Gonzalez in the 4th round than Ginn. We already have enough shorter guys in Jennings and driver. Lets get a big tall fast stud or draft something else.

OP
OP
C

C-Mize

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Alright, I thought about it a little more, and this is my NEW What Packers should do in 07', and I think its better. Enjoy

2007 Packers Free Agents:

TE- Daniel Graham : He has good hands, and is a good blocker. If he was added to the team, he would be the best recieving TE we have.

QB- Tim Rattay : Smart veteran, could come in handy if A-Rod blows

CB- Roderick Hood: Good young corner, and getting better. Can learn a lot from Harris/Woodson

S-Ken Hamlin: Good saftey, considering how bad Manuel has been, maybe the guy that started over him will be better.Hamlin has rebounded mightily this season with 70 total tackles, three interceptions, and a pair of sacks.

2007 NFL Draft

1.) Marshawn Lynch RB -- Lynch is a very special player who does anything you want in a RB. He runs inside and out, he is a good reciever and a good blocker, he'll make a man miss and run a guy over. All in all Lynch will be a perfect fit in GB. Our offense is lacking exsplosiveness and Lynch would definatly provide it.Green and Lynch will give GB an elite running game.

2.) Eric Weddle S -- A little small 6 / 200lbs, but he makes up for it with great playmaking skills and character. He's tough, and a good tackler. Most versatile player in the draft. He has played at S / CB/ KR / other special teams / even RB & QB. He's very smart, a hard worker, and has a great motor. He is what you know as a "TT" guy. This type of player is what Ted and the Packers jump for joy for. He would be a great addition. *He's a special education major and very active in the community. The Nfl would be a lot better if there were more Eric Weddle type guys. Only problem is his stock is rising fast and could sneak into the 1st round.

3.) Ryan Harris OT -- I am a little worried with Clifton getting older & his nagging iinjuries. Ryan is a tall, quick lineman at 6-5 292. Very athletic w/ great quickness. Good frame w/ long arms and room to get bigger. Very mobile and can translate to the ZBS. Has a lot of maturity being a 4-year starter playing top College competition.

4.) Paul Williams WR -- 6'2'': 210lbs :4.35. This guys is an athletic freak who is super fast. He is a great leaper and can stretch the field vertically with ease. Has very adequate hands, is very elusive and runs well after catch. Still somewhat raw and need to work on route running. Could def add a spark as the 3rd or 4th WR of the Packers.

5.) Mkristo Bruce DE -- Kampman type guy produces, but lacks big time talent. Could rotate with KGB, would be a great addition to our up&coming DLine.

6.) Louis Leonard DT -- Big guy (6-5, 320-350),Big two gap run stopper, who can take on double teams and clog the middle. Has good agility for a man his size. Gets a solid push on the pocket and can occasionally find himself in the opponent’s backfield. Tough guy who will play hurt. Lacks great lateral mobility. His potential is too much to pass up in the 6th and would be a great value if he filled his potential (a la Gilbert Brown/ Grady Jackson)

7.) DeAndre Jackson CB -- Being on Iowa State, he is overshadowed by other good Big12 corners. Although he is a little short 6ft, he is still a hard working player. He is a little slow (4.5 -40 time) which hurts his stock.

What do you think about this one ^^ ?? Thanks, all feedback is welcomed

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cory said:

Right. Ginn is too short and too light. Receivers his size if he pumps up a little are Harrison, bruce, Steve Smith, Santana Moss, Laverneous Coles. Ginn may be as fast as all of them but he doesnt have their agility or hands. He doesnt start and stop as quick as those guys and the only thing ive ever seen Ginn do is run the deep homerun pattern which wont work for a short receiver in the NFL. Think about it, when the OSU Buckeyes need first downs and big catches, i see Anthony Gonzalez make more than Ginn. I'd rather take Gonzalez in the 4th round than Ginn. We already have enough shorter guys in Jennings and driver. Lets get a big tall fast stud or draft something else.

I doubt gonzo is coming out and besides...he wouldn't be avialable in the 4th round.

OP
OP
C

C-Mize

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like the lynch pick of the second one more than going for Ted Ginn, but overall I like the 1st better

Yeah, the 1st one may be slightly better. But I did some more research and no way does Brandon Meriweather fall to the 3rd round anymore. 1st maybe better, but 2nd one >more realistic.

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
good call on Eric Weddle, i'd be all for drafting this guy cos hes a great player but i just dont think he has the physical tools to be a 1st day pick.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I love the Lynch pick. Green is older now and Lynch is a great fit for the zone blocking scheme.

I also like Paul Williams as a sleeper this year.

I'd like Green Bay to look at a TE in round 2. Maybe Zach Miller from Arizona State IF he falls to us there. I think with a free agent signing of Tony G or Daniel Graham and drafting Miller in round 2 and then keeping Lee, Humphrey or Martin as our #3 we'd have the makings of a great set of TE's.

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Matt Spaeth (Minnesota) is available at a time to get a TE, then get him. I doubt he will be left too long

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If Matt Spaeth (Minnesota) is available at a time to get a TE, then get him. I doubt he will be left too long

I would guess round 2 or 3 pick. He's a solid prospect but nothing unique.

Tiger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ok im gonna have a go at a Packers draft of players i'd like to see us get, it may not be realistic cos i havent factored in other teams needs. anyhow

1st round: Jeff Samardjiza WR, Notre Dame
2nd round: Adam Carriker DE, Nebraska
3rd round: Brandon Meriweather S, Miami
4th round: Josh Wilson CB, Mayland
5th round: Johnny Harline TE, BYU
6th round: Samson Satele C, Hawaii

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts