Packers helmet ranks #4...

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
I'm a bit embarrassed to ask, but does anybody know when they added the "sparkle" to the Packers helmet? I just went hi-def this football season. I hadn't even noticed it at games. I usually sit about 20 rows up from the entrance/exit but never go down to greet the players. Too much of a codswallop to deal with.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah I remember, and I thought it looked awesome, but we'll probably never ever see that retro style again since they went 2-0 Super bowl wise with the newer helmets.
My roomate thought the new unis was the reason why they beat the Pack.
I doubt it though, because:
A) It almost happened with the Bengals. They got new unis/helmets but they still lost in an SB to the 49ers who still had their old ones.
b) If it was the unis, then the 9ers would have beaten the Pack when they wore their throwbacks in Dec.
I think it's the team players, not what they wear that makes the dif.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ketchup??!!! come on!!! Now you're just being silly!!

We gotta rank the socks before we get to ketchup.
You have: A plate of fries but no ketchup.
Socks with holes. And to get a clean pair you gotta do your laundry.

So what do you do first? Laundry or a ketchup run?

Ketchup run!
Condiments rule.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
My roomate thought the new unis was the reason why they beat the Pack.
I doubt it though, because:
A) It almost happened with the Bengals. They got new unis/helmets but they still lost in an SB to the 49ers who still had their old ones.
b) If it was the unis, then the 9ers would have beaten the Pack when they wore their throwbacks in Dec.
I think it's the team players, not what they wear that makes the dif.

Yeah I know how you feel. I have a distant releative whom is a Denver fan who used to come around my father, as a kid and I had to hear the "All we needed was to change our uniforms to win the Super Bowl, we was due!"

LOL
Their first Super Bowl, I think there wasn't a chance against the Giants. Everyone knew they'd lose.
Second Super Bowl, I really believe the Browns would have beat Washington. It proved how inconsistent and lucky Denver was from one play (The Fumble)
And last but not least, it will take a million years to convince me the Bronco's had ANY chance at all playing the 49ers in '89.

I've always liked John Elway growing up, and as much as that loss hurt I would have gladly cheered the old man on finally getting a ring if it was against San Francisco or Dallas that year (I think i speak for everyone in the South as a THANK YOU to them slaughtering Atlanta the next year). In all of his years as a leader, Elway did deserve a ring, just sadly it was against us :\'(

VersusTheMoose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The chargers helmet is a terrible number one. The Giants have the best looking in my opinion, I would put ours right after that one. The Texans and the Jets are pretty great too. I hate the Panthers helmet/uni, the only horrible looking team in the NFL in my view. Also, I would put the Bills in the top 10; yeah the logo is kinda odd but the stripe more than makes up for it.

GBPack2010

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Eagles light green looks awesome, I think the Lions uniform looks eye catching, something cool about Dallas silver uniforms, Kansas City looks nice, I like the Ravens purple more than Minnesota's for some reason, maybe I'm the only one that thinks Browns simplistic jerseys look pretty awesome. Steelers look pretty good. Texans red looks terrible but their black ones look tight. Redskins are really good too. Also like Titans uniforms. Patriots look nice as well. I don't think Bills jerseys look horrendous and Dolphins orange uniforms look pretty sick. Or maybe it's their cheerleaders in orange that give me that vibe and of course our Current and Throwbacks are cool.

Jets, Colts, Giants, new Falcons, Saints, Cardinals all red, 49ers, Seahawks, Chargers, Bengals new all black and orange either look boring or terrible imo.

cheesehurdler

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My opinions of each NFL helmet, by division. Sorry for the large images, I tried resizing them.

NFC

NFC North

Green Bay Packers: I like this helmet because, well, you can't beat a classic. The "G" logo has been with the Packers since the Lombardi days and the green and white stripe across the yellow assures symmetry with the rest of the uniform, with the yellow pants also bearing the green and white stripe.

Chicago Bears: The helmet here is pretty much made with the logo, which is iconic. Other than that, it's pretty plain-looking.

Minnesota Vikings:
I understand that the horns are supposed to fit in with the whole "Viking" thing, but it looks like the horns are stuck to the helmet instead of sticking out. Not a good design.

Detroit Lions:
I would like the helmet better if they removed the black outline on the logo and stripe. It doesn't fit in. Basically, I want it to look like this:
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

NFC East
New York Giants: I like the single blue stripe, the numbers on the front, and the simple "NY" logo because it's the same helmet they wore in the 50s and the 60s. Much better than the full "GIANTS" text on the helmet they used to wear.

Dallas Cowboys: The star on the helmet, like the wishbone C the Bears have, is iconic and the silver goes really well with the navy blue and white stripe on the helmet. I like it.

Philadelphia Eagles: I really like the wings coming from the face of the helmet. They've had that design for years and they've still managed to update it while still staying faithful to the classic design. Why can't more bird-based teams come up with ideas like this?

Washington Redskins: I would like the helmet better if it had one single white stripe and another single yellow stripe to match the pants. I'm also partial to the old "spear" logo.

NFC South
New Orleans Saints: If you’re going to represent New Orleans, you can’t go wrong with the Fleur De Lis. I like the shiny gold finish, too.

Atlanta Falcons: I want to see a return to the old Falcons helmet. That helmet is different because it’s red, and the uniform itself was black and silver. It made the difference between the Falcons having a unique look and looking like a clone of the Oakland Raiders. I like the old logo, too, because it looks menacing. Like the falcon is poised to strike at an enemy silently and deadly. I’m more intimidated by the old logo than the new logo. The color scheme is bad*ss, too. If you want to look intimidating, black, red, and white is the way to go.

Carolina Panthers: I like the article’s creator’s idea of a long, slender panther slinking across the helmet, if it didn’t make them look like they’re playing for the Black Panther Party. As it stands, though, it’s pretty average. The tapering stripes make them look like they’re being scratched by a panther, which I don’t get. Are they playing as the panthers or something the panthers hate?

Tampa Bay Buccaneers: The logo on a stripe-less pewter helmet is pretty intimidating, a great improvement over the ugly-*ss creamsicle helmets they used to wear bearing Johnny Depp with a tan holding a dagger with his teeth like a rose. C’mon, you’re supposed to be pirates, not Romeo rejects for a Romeo & Juliet play.

NFC West
Arizona Cardinals: …Meh. I don’t like this helmet. Sure, they wore it for years, but I always thought it was plain-looking and boring. I would settle for a single red stripe, if it didn’t make their heads look like candy canes.

San Francisco 49ers: I like the 80s helmet. It looked simpler and it fit in with the rest of the uniform. I liked the current version better before they simplified the jersey, but now, it just looks out of place. C’mon, you’re simplifying the jersey, now finish it off.

Seattle Seahawks: I would like the logo if the Seahawk heads actually connected to each other in the back of the helmet, like the “Spear” logo the Redskins used to have. I’ve also grown to the “Totem Pole” look going on with the logo.

St. Louis Rams: LOVE IT. The swirl on the helmet, making it look like ram horns? Brilliant! It works because ram horns never stick out, they’re always near to the head and flat looking. It’s a stroke of genius, and perfect for a helmet.

cheesehurdler

Cheesehead
Reaction score
AFC

AFC North
Pittsburgh Steelers: I love this helmet. The logo on one side of the helmet makes it look stylish and unique, and the numbers on the front makes them look like they came from the 60s and 70s, which is good because it was the best era for football.

Cleveland Browns: Ugh. The helmet is plain-looking and just plain bad. Seriously? No logo? That’s just lazy. Hell, I’ll even accept a tootsie roll for a logo since that’s what the Browns unis look like. I also remember the old Browns helmets having a “CB” logo and another having a striped football with a “B” inside of it. Why couldn’t you stick with that? I also hate the fact that they’re called the Browns and their ORANGEhelmet is their (unofficial?) logo.

Baltimore Ravens:
I think it’s a little messy with the excess of colors on the helmet, and I think that putting the alternate Ravens insignia on the helmets and putting the official logo on the jerseys is a good idea. Also, there we go again with the tapering stripes, like a raven clawed their heads. Again, are you playing as the ravens, or as something ravens hate?

Cincinatti Bengals:
I love the helmet because they were brave enough to put tiger stripes on the helmet, giving it its own style. MUCH better than the all-caps “BENGALS” logo on a plain orange helmet. Seriously, that’s just plain lazy and pathetic.

AFC East
New York Jets: I think it’s trying to mimic the minimalist design of the Colts helmet with the monotonous green and white color scheme. I like it for doing that, and it’s a great improvement over the old jets logo they used to have, which made them look like they came from a football movie.

New England Patriots: Plain. Just plain and boring. I even like the helmet with Pat Patriot better than this helmet.

Miami Dolphins: There’s nothing special about this helmet, really. I’d like it if they try something new, like putting a fin on it or something.

Buffalo Bills: The worst of the lot. This helmet is a mess from top to bottom, and from back to front. There are too many stripes on this helmet. Most helmets have 1 or 3 stripes, but this helmet has 7. 7! If that doesn’t ruin the overall design, the weird colors will.

AFC South
Indianapolis Colts: A very minimalist design, with just two colors, white and blue. I like the design. Simple and to-the-point. Although, the horseshoes make them look like they got kicked in the head by a horse.

Tennessee Titans: I love and hate this helmet. I love it because it’s very stylish and the tapering stripes actually fit in with the rest of the helmet.I hate this helmet because it’s messy, busy, cluttered, and a bastardization of the Oilers helmet. So, yeah. Make of that what you will.

Jacksonville Jaguars: Pretty standard, but I would like it if you pulled the trigger and went with a leopard print helmet. Hey, don’t call me crazy, I would love to see a football team with a leopard print helmet. It would fit in with the rest of the jersey, and they have the color scheme for it. If the Bengals are allowed to have a helmet with tiger stripes, then why can’t the Jaguars with the leopard print helmet?

Houston Texans: The logo has a good start, since the colors are the same colors found on the Texas flag. But it just looks too modern for me. Perhaps stealing the Texas Longhorns logo and giving it your own style doesn’t seem like such a bad idea. It wouldn’t hurt to put stripes on it either.

AFC West
Oakland Raiders: You can’t do much with silver and black, so great job making it look bad*ss. The shield logo looks menacing, despite the “raider” smiling, and the lone stripe keeps it from looking plain, like a Patriots helmet.

Kansas City Chiefs: You can’t do much with this helmet without it looking like a ripoff of the Redskins helmet, but I can accept a yellow helmet with a red stripe, or as described before, a white-and-yellow double stripe.

Denver Broncos: Their Broncos logo looks very threatening, like you’re about to be trampled by an angry horse. A good improvement over a plain-looking orange “D” helmet with a horse coming out of it snorting.

San Diego Chargers: If you add anything more to the helmet, it looks flashy, but as it stands, it’s pretty cool, especially the navy blue helmet. I would also like a bolt-shaped stripe coming down the helmet.

Members online

Latest posts