Packers have the 4th best defense in the NFC.

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What an improvement...

Where would the Packers have gone with THIS defense LAST year?

I've heard the insinuations from the naysayers that DEFENSE wins championships... Well, here we go!

I am VERY optimistic about the rest of the year as I remember how the Packers rebounded from a 1-4 start with the swiss cheese defense that they displayed...

I think the team has the most momentum and chemistry going into the playoffs wins the whole thing...

Packers have found ways to lose in the first quarter of the season and they have the last 3 quarters to find ways to win and build their momentum.

12-4 Superbowl!

Miskito

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't go as far to say the 4th best D in the NFC. Yes, the Packers are 4th in the NFC in yards per game, but there are other stats that you should put in to further disect a defense.

Packers are (in NFC):
4th in yards allowed per game
5th in passing yards per game
6th in rushing yards per game
6th in points per game
12th in takeaways
15th in penalty yards

And for the broader picture:
NFL rankings Packers are:
9th in points allowed per game
11th in passing yards per game
13th in passing yards per game
15th in points per game
21st in takeaways
28th in penalty yards
11th in passing yards per game

It's obvious that the Packers are above average in most respects, but #4 in the NFC - probably not.

TOPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Miskito, when defenses and offenses are spoken about in terms of rankings it's only yards per game which are considered i.e. 4th in yards allowed equals the 4th overall ranking. I agree with you that there are other more important factors to consider but Obi1 is right to say that the Packers have the 4th ranked D in the NFC.

Personally I'm more impressed with the 9th ranking in points allowed.

Miskito

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TOPackerFan said:
Miskito, when defenses and offenses are spoken about in terms of rankings it's only yards per game which are considered i.e. 4th in yards allowed equals the 4th overall ranking. I agree with you that there are other more important factors to consider but Obi1 is right to say that the Packers have the 4th ranked D in the NFC.

Personally I'm more impressed with the 9th ranking in points allowed.

My bad, then, if that is true. Seems a little narrow-minded to me if that is the way. But oh well.

Cheesehog

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not much of a "stat" person. I tend to look at the win/loss and standings column. Yes the bears are ahead right now but the Pack is somewhat a new team growing and getting better right now where as I see teams that started out good or were suppose to be better, going in the opposite direction. The Packers are like a fresh glass of milk poured. The "cream" will eventualy rise to the top! :chug:

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Obi1 said:
What an improvement...

Where would the Packers have gone with THIS defense LAST year?

I've heard the insinuations from the naysayers that DEFENSE wins championships... Well, here we go!

if we have this defense in '03 or '04...man

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If someone would have told me those numbers before the season, I would have said we'd be 4-1 by now instead of 1-4.

Hopefully as the season goes along our win/loss record will reflect the improvement in the defense under Bates.

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just noticed that Defence Stat today and was very pleased. We have come along way ( defence wise ) from where we were last year and IMO we have been getting better every game. Division Title Outlook is getting better all the time. :wink:

Gopackgo82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow, what a difference a great coach can make. This is basically the same defense we had last year, and they look nothing like the defense from last year. They actually look like they know what they are doing this year. I've been very impressed with the improvement so far.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hats off to Jim Bates and the defense, but to put things in perspective, let's remember that the teams the Packers have faced are not exactly offensive juggernauts: Lions, Browns, Bucs, Panthers, and Saints (without Joe Horn). Furthermore, the Packers trailed throughout those first four games, allowing the opponents to play conservative offense and still get the wins. This next part of the schedule is where the defense will REALLY be put to the test.

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
Hats off to Jim Bates and the defense, but to put things in perspective, let's remember that the teams the Packers have faced are not exactly offensive juggernauts: Lions, Browns, Bucs, Panthers, and Saints (without Joe Horn). Furthermore, the Packers trailed throughout those first four games, allowing the opponents to play conservative offense and still get the wins. This next part of the schedule is where the defense will REALLY be put to the test.

excellent point...i was going to say the same thing but everybody seemed so pleased with the comparative progress. i didn't want to crap in the coat room, so to speak.

actually, nobody really says "crap in the coat room" but i think they should. i might put it in my signature and see if it catches on.

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IPBprez said:
Last I read (don't remember where) was that we were 9th in the League

and if the GBP defence stays there for the rest of the season, you can bet your last dollar, the Packers will be winning the north for a 4th time straight as well as hosting a playoff game!

Members online

Latest posts