Packers have slowest receiving corps in the NFL

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Speed alone does not make an NFL WR. I can give you several examples. Troy "Stone Hands" Williamson. 4.32. He could run, but he couldn't catch.

Cordaralle Patterson. 4.42. He can run. But he has a problem getting open.
I was going to add that Darius Heyward Bey used his 4.3 40 time to get selected ahead of more deserving candidates at 7 overall in the 2009 draft but..wow that was a bad draft. Amazing we got Clay out of that group.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_NFL_draft

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

And the Patriots have the 31st slowest. We're in good company.

The Patriots are a particular case though with having the only dominante tight end in the league constantly drawing coverage off their receivers.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Quickness is much more important than speed. Hands are 2nd. Speed is important in track.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You can have speed, quickness and hands, as Randy Moss had. But you need a brain to use them, which he unfortunately lacked.

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You can have speed, quickness and hands, as Randy Moss had. But you need a brain to use them, which he unfortunately lacked.
And that didn't even stop him from catching 23 touchdown passes in 2007. Every receiver has a weakness. How well can you make up for it?

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah you can be successful without top speed. But if you have speed in addition to the other stuff it only makes you that much more effective. In a game like the nfl where everyone is talented, any advantage helps, especially one like speed.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And the Patriots have the 31st slowest. We're in good company.

I'd be fine with the 40 time if Jones, Adams, and Rodgers played with any sort of intensity. But they just seem to go through the motions until the play is over.

DeAndre Hopkins runs almost the exactly same 40 time as Adams, yet he looks like he could run circles around him on the field. Montgomery is our only receiver whose 40 time looks deceiving.

Last edited:

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Then again, some of the "fastest teams" on that list are the Browns (ranked #2) and Lions (ranked #3), Chiefs and Titans (tied, #5) while the second worst team (ranked #31) just above the Packers is the Patriots.

So, this stat/fact does not seem to be significant when it comes to wins and losses.
The receivers on these teams aren't exactly detrimental to their success, either-I really don't think Calvin Johnson, Jeremy Macklin, or Delanie Walker would hurt our chances right now.

Seeing how they list Cobb as a 4.55 guy, which is wrong, I don't trust this list. Gronk runs a 4.68 and Edelman a 4.52, which averages at 4.6. LaFell has a 4.54 time, so whoever is third in the calculation is either the slowest human being to play WR, or the numbers are BS if they come to a 4.64 average time.

Last edited:

Packerlover

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not so interested in speed as I am in good route running, well designed plays (Cobb in endzone vs Panthers)

Of course speed matters after you catch the ball and want to get to the endzone but overall an innovative offense with well thought out objectives is better.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You can't teach or coach speed.
You can teach and coach speed. What do you think all of those kids are doing prior to the combine? Then again, the real question is should we be teaching our WRs to be faster or should we be teaching them to better utilize their existing attributes? The three established WRs on the roster (Cobb, Jones, and Adams) have shown that they have the NFL speed to get open and make plays. They just aren't doing it right now. The coaches need to help them find their way, and the players need to pull their heads out of their holes.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I don't see Usain Bolt playing in the NFL....speed can be over rated if it isn't accompanied by other attributes.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't see Usain Bolt playing in the NFL....speed can be over rated if it isn't accompanied by other attributes.

Who was the record the record setting high hurdler some years ago the 49ers signed as a wide receiver? Total bust.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So the Packers have no shot at the 2 seed now and have zero shot of winning the division in order to host a home game???

Crap. When did we become the Browns?
Great shot at #2. Highly unlikely for #1.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You can teach and coach speed. What do you think all of those kids are doing prior to the combine? Then again, the real question is should we be teaching our WRs to be faster or should we be teaching them to better utilize their existing attributes? The three established WRs on the roster (Cobb, Jones, and Adams) have shown that they have the NFL speed to get open and make plays. They just aren't doing it right now. The coaches need to help them find their way, and the players need to pull their heads out of their holes.
I was speaking more to natural ability, but your point is well taken. The rest of your points are excellent.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd be fine with the 40 time if Jones, Adams, and Rodgers played with any sort of intensity
James Jones is no. 6 in the league in DYAR. He's been a good replacement for Jordy, at least early in the season. Adams looks to be a future star, if he can stay on the field. Rodgers looks SLOW both in speed and quickness.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great shot at #2. Highly unlikely for #1.
We will be no. 1 if we win out. If MM turns the offense around I feel that is very possible. It could be that the NFC East will determine seeding since Carolina plays at the Cowboys, Saints, and Giants the last half of the season. Throw in 2 games against the Falcons, and Carolina likely winds up 12 and 4, or 13 and 3.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And that didn't even stop him from catching 23 touchdown passes in 2007. Every receiver has a weakness. How well can you make up for it?
Moss' "I play when I wanna play" said it all for me. Now he's an NFL analyst. You can't make it up.

Members online

Latest posts