1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Packers have become GREAT at losing GREAT games.

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by rodell330, Jan 17, 2016.

1. rodell330

rodell330 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,296
    Hate to say it but MM and Rodgers have a horrible overtime win/loss record and MM as a HC?? is terrible as well. Especially in the playoffs. The last two exits from the post season have been tough to swallow. This loss was more on the defensive blunder in OT and poor tackling and pursuit angles... But the loss to Seattle last season should've never happened. That was on MM and his staff.

Rodgers still has a lot of great football in him but the Packers should have played in at least 2 More SBs with him as the qb. At least. last year, and the year we went 15-1. You can even throw the loss to SanFran Cisco the year before last in there... when Hyde dropped that pick six Kap threw right to him. For some reason we just don'take enough plays when it counts most in the post season. Tired of hearing oh wait til next year. But hey, wai til next year haha

• Like Like x 1
  2. Zartan

Zartan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +293
    Well eventually if you keep throwing **** at a wall it will stick. Eventually we will win a OT playoff game.....I hope.

• Like Like x 1
  3. rodell330

rodell330 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,296
    No more OT playoff games please. I'll pass. This team is snake bitten when it comes OT period.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. El Guapo

El Guapo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,992
    What do you want to hear? We're firing McCarthy and Thompson? Nobody is happy with a loss like this, but I'm not sure that drastic changes will get you any closer to what you want.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Half Empty

Half Empty Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +670
    But we're getting more sure all the time that lack of changes is getting us further (or at least the same frustrativng distance) from what we want.

6. ls1bob

ls1bob Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +96
    The last two OT losses in the playoffs were especially tough when #12 doesn't even get a chance to see the field. Even more frustrating that the defense has a lapse in game situation. i.e."we don't get the ball back if they score a TD"

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. LarrysCrookedFinger

LarrysCrookedFinger Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +115
    This is a game where we had our secondary healthy for the first time in several weeks and our OL healthy for the first time in half a season. It's a game we had to play without FOUR of our top five WRs. It's a game against a team that blew us out of the water 3 weeks ago where the home team was picked to win 95% of the time. By all accounts we never should have had a chance in hell in this game. In the end, it came down to a damn coin-toss and one play. And I'd still like to know who screwed up and left #11 wide open. And yeah, I don't care if you're tired of hearing it, but wait til next year. You really have no choice.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. LarrysCrookedFinger

Ratings:
    +115
    NFL OT rules are still crap. Importance of the coin toss needs to be eliminated. The winner of the coin toss still wins about 60% of the time. Both teams need to be guaranteed at least one offensive possession. I'm all in favor of playing 8 minute overtime periods until the game is over.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. MadCat

MadCat Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +56
    They were talking about that on NFL Network last night. Your suggestion or both teams get at least one possession. But just for the playoffs.

• Like Like x 1
  10. c_mac

c_mac Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +21
    I know that Super Bowl 45 was the one time we really came through but think about McCarthy's time with the Packers overall. Fact is, he loses the big games consistently. '07 to the Giants, '09 to the Cardinals, '13 to the 49ers, '14 to the Seahawks, and now this game. That's not counting the blowouts to the 49ers in '12 or to the Giants on '11 (when we were 15-1!).

We overcame a lot of injuries at WR and ended up making a game out of it against the Cardinals but McCarthy teams just never seem to have that killer instinct to close out a game, especially in the playoffs. I thought SB45 was gonna be the start of a dynasty yet here we are again, out of the playoffs. We have one of the best QBs ever to play the game and we are pissing away season after season of Rodgers being in his prime. Just VERY frustrating.

• Like Like x 1
  11. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +3,484
    Wish people would stop putting all blame on MM and say Rodgers is being pissed away.

Rodgers is to blame for some of it too...Just as Brett was...

• Agree Agree x 5
  12. Wynnebeck

Wynnebeck Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +61
    Rodgers threw a hail mary as time expired while falling down and pressure in his face. No, this is not Rodgers fault. This is entirely on the defense.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. longtimefan

Ratings:
    +3,484
    Didnt say all is fault..Said part of the blame..

14. Sanguine camper

Sanguine camper Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +200
    Fact is if Rodgers isn't perfect the Packers can't win because they "Relax" when they have a lead. As soon as they took the lead last night AZ moves the ball down the field in huge chunks. Before that, coverage was tight. And then when Rodgers miraculously throws an incredible hail marry, the defense again pissed itself. A lot of fans sound just like Cubs fans." Wait til next year" Unfortunately next year comes and the results stay the same.

• Like Like x 1
  15. PackerDNA

PackerDNA Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +942
    It's the ultimate team game. You win as a team, you lose as a team.

And if I don't win the "Cliche of the Week" award for the day- no, for the week- then something's really wrong here.

16. sschind

sschind Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +510
    Until a team goes on a 15 play 8 minute drive and wins the game. Then they will need to be overhauled again. I was fine with the way they were, I'm OK with them the way they are now and I'd be OK with making it so both teams had an offensive opportunity with kickoffs, none of this college crap where they star in FG range.

The CT winner may still win 60% of the time but that's not on the first drive (last time I checked that was about 33%) so both teams do usually get a chance.

17. LarrysCrookedFinger

Ratings:
    +115
    I don't think so. It wouldn't be sudden death so that's fine. It would be no different than the last 8 minutes of regulation.

I've seen some more exotic options offered including having coaches bid on starting field position in 5 yard increments. I think it might have been from a Sporting News article in 2009. IIRC, the idea was that Coach A says, "I'll take the ball on our 35." Coach B says, "I'll take it on our 25." Coach A says, "I'll take the ball on our 20." Coach B says, "We'll take it at the 10." Coach A says, "You can have it." Then you do the OT rules as they are now. It would eliminate the coin toss, which is the main issue. I thought that one was kind of an interesting option.

18. longtimefan

Ratings:
    +3,484
    Each team with the ball at least once..

Or

Start over time as it is just a 5 th q.. No coin toss... Just continue on

• Like Like x 1
  19. El Guapo

El Guapo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,992
    He bounce passed the ball to Jones on 4th down when we had time to score more conventionally. The fact is Rodgers had a sub-par season for his standards, as did our receiving corps, the O-line, and offensive coaching staff. Our defense bailed out this season game after game when the offense kept going 3 and out. The defense played outstanding against one of the top offenses in Arizona. The Packers defense had a major lapse to lose the game but one should never focus on the final play, but on all the cumulative plays that put the team in that do-or-die moment.

• Like Like x 1
  20. ExpatPacker

ExpatPacker Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +630
    Yes he did, and the fact is that in this game and over the course of the season Rodgers has missed on a lot of throws. Plus, he has also ignored an open receiver for the sake of trying to make a big play downfield. These have both been negatives about ARod this year.

21. Jdeed

Jdeed Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +32
    Well it just goes to show they can play teams close.

22. Tacklynn

Tacklynn Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +19
    I was shocked when the OT rules changed about 4 years back. OT should be an extension of the regular game, just more time. Isn't that what OVERtime means? It does not mean we usher in a whole new set of goofy rules.

In baseball extra innings, if a team hits a home run in the top of the 10th, it is not game over.

The current rules elevate the role of sheer chance of calling the coin toss. Especially at the end of 4 quarters of play, skill/talent should take far more precedence over randomness/luck.

Not just saying this because of the Packers experience in OT.

23. Half Empty

Half Empty Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +670
    Continue on until what? It looks like you're saying play an extra 15 minutes, a negative of which would be unnecessarily beating up the eventual winner for the next game. And, if it's just a 5th quarter, that one could end up tied, also, for an even worse physical beating.

24. longtimefan

Ratings:
    +3,484
    http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/baranczyk /2016/01/17/hesitant-rodgers-erratic-right-end/78936664/

25. longtimefan

Ratings:
    +3,484
    Sure it is easy to blame the person/s that did something at very end of the game..

But all the little things that led up to that count..