Packers Have an Underrated Defense

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
No, even then, the "base" rush of a 3-4 is 4 guys. One of the base ideas behind attacking 3-4s is "guess who number 4 is!" It's a little harder to see, because on running plays, 3-4 look like de facto 5-2s.
Yep, so anytime you are rushing 5 you are blitzing. This is true of the 3-4 and the 4-3 or any other combination.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
How does the offense sustaining drives have anything to do with the defense?

Yes, the defense needs to get off the field one way or another to get the offense on, but what does that have anything to do with what the offense does once they take the field?

Also, the Packers defense was 11th in points and yards allowed, 7th in takeaways, and the team was 14th in time of possession. So I don't agree with your theory at all. The offense struggled on their own this year, it had nothing to do with the defense.

Everyone remembers the 49er game because it's fresh in their minds, but overall I think most of us would agree that if we would have been told before last season that we'd be 11th in points and yards allowed defensively, we would've been very happy with that and figure that would be enough for us to be a dominant team.
Maybe not a dominant team but competitive and that's what they were.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Theres really not a logical reason to blame the offense because in order for them to sustain drives the defense still has to stop people and get off the field.

So what your saying is that the offense gets the ball at their 40 for sake of argument..

the offense only gets to their 49...Then have to punt..I would consider that a failure on the offenses part...Correct?? Now the defense has to go back with only a few minutes rest..

They needed to sustain a drive... but failed..

What if the offense for 3 series, go 3 and out...The def is not getting any real time to rest..Wouldnt that be the logical reason?

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There is 60 minutes to every game. If you have an offense that gets the ball 10 times and averages 4 minute drives that only leaves 20 minutes for the other team.

Conversely the defense helps the offense in field position. A defense that gives up an average of 25 yards per drive as opposed to 15 yards per drive is like having a player that gives you 80 yards per game.

Everyone remembers the 49er game because it's fresh in their minds, but overall I think most of us would agree that if we would have been told before last season that we'd be 11th in points and yards allowed defensively, we would've been very happy with that and figure that would be enough for us to be a dominant team.
Well put.

Definitely lots of room for improvement, but not the impending disaster described by some fans.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So what your saying is that the offense gets the ball at their 40 for sake of argument..

the offense only gets to their 49...Then have to punt..I would consider that a failure on the offenses part...Correct?? Now the defense has to go back with only a few minutes rest..

They needed to sustain a drive... but failed..

What if the offense for 3 series, go 3 and out...The def is not getting any real time to rest..Wouldnt that be the logical reason?

worded that incorrectly. What i meant to say was that it's not logical to put all the blame on the offense.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Yes, the defense needs to get off the field one way or another to get the offense on, but what does that have anything to do with what the offense does once they take the field?

Also, the Packers defense was 11th in points and yards allowed, 7th in takeaways, and the team was 14th in time of possession. So I don't agree with your theory at all. The offense struggled on their own this year, it had nothing to do with the defense.

Really? if the offense sustains longer drives the defense gets rest..therefore they are fresher. Also if the offense can't get any yards they put the defense in a compromising position because they opponent is probably already in good field position.

OP
OP
Aaron rodgers is god
Reaction score
The last 2 games (Not including the wild card game) has obviously skewed some of your guys perception of the defense. We got beat badly in those games. They ran the ball down our throat, don't get me wrong. Those were terrible losses, but you are mistaken if you thought the defense was absolutely horrible the whole year. Our starting MLB and his back up lost for the entire year. Nick Perry out for the entire year. Woodson out for an extended period of time. Clay Matthews out for a short period of time and another year we had to patched up defense full of rookies after coming off a terrible year and we finish 11th in yards and points and 4th in sacks and we are considered a terrible defense by most of you guys. I don't know what you were expecting before the season but I was expecting an inconsistent defense and some frustrating parts of the season. This should be expected when you have to rely on rookies to play major roles. It's called growing pains. Even with these growing pains, we had a much improved pass rush and improved secondary. Since people like to bring up all the bad games, I;m going to give you some good games. How about 168 total yards and 4 turnovers against the Bears with uncountless pressure and hits on the QB. How about 238 total yards and 14 total points should have been 7 against the Seahawks on the road in one of the toughest places to play. Then a lot of games where the defense gave up anywhere from 14-24 A decent game with 1 -2 turnovers.

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The last 2 games (Not including the wild card game) has obviously skewed some of your guys perception of the defense. We got beat badly in those games. They ran the ball down our throat, don't get me wrong. Those were terrible losses, but you are mistaken if you thought the defense was absolutely horrible the whole year. Our starting MLB and his back up lost for the entire year. Nick Perry out for the entire year. Woodson out for an extended period of time. Clay Matthews out for a short period of time and another year we had to patched up defense full of rookies after coming off a terrible year and we finish 11th in yards and points and 4th in sacks and we are considered a terrible defense by most of you guys. I don't know what you were expecting before the season but I was expecting an inconsistent defense and some frustrating parts of the season. This should be expected when you have to rely on rookies to play major roles. It's called growing pains. Even with these growing pains, we had a much improved pass rush and improved secondary. Since people like to bring up all the bad games, I;m going to give you some good games. How about 168 total yards and 4 turnovers against the Bears with uncountless pressure and hits on the QB. How about 238 total yards and 14 total points should have been 7 against the Seahawks on the road in one of the toughest places to play. Then a lot of games where the defense gave up anywhere from 14-24 A decent game with 1 -2 turnovers.

Don't be so optimistic. The Packers held Arian Foster to under 40 yards rushing. The defense is terrible!!!

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Peterson also ran wild on the Bears, Lions, Seahawks, Bucs, Cardinals, and Rams. Guess what, great players have great games sometimes.

Not seeing may playoff teams there. That 205 yards per game average we gave up to him is staggering no matter how you try to couch it.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We were not the only team he hung 200 on though.

I think only one other team gave up 200 yards against him. According to my old school math he got 20 % of his rushing total against us!!!! And like I said only Seattle was a playoff team of the ones mentioned .

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not seeing may playoff teams there. That 205 yards per game average we gave up to him is staggering no matter how you try to couch it.

AP's highest YPC of the season was against the vaunted Seahawks defense: 10.7. 17 carries for 182 yards.

Bottom line, yes, we got rolled by AP. But so did the entire league. He had a special season, almost setting the all-time record. But, to continue to revert back to that fact alone is getting old and ridiculous.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
AP's highest YPC of the season was against the vaunted Seahawks defense: 10.7. 17 carries for 182 yards.

Bottom line, yes, we got rolled by AP. But so did the entire league. He had a special season, almost setting the all-time record. But, to continue to revert back to that fact alone is getting old and ridiculous.

We got rolled the worst. Some other non playoff teams did a better job against him than we did.

I repeat he got 20 % of his yardage against us. And he averaged 10.0 yards against us in one game. Yes it was ridiculous.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We got rolled the worst. Some other non playoff teams did a better job against him than we did.

I repeat he got 20 % of his yardage against us. And he averaged 10.0 yards against us in one game. Yes it was ridiculous.

He plays 13% of his games against us. This isn't enormously significant. He also averaged over 10 yards per game against Seattle, who has a really good defense.

Some other really good RB's, like Chris Johnson and Foster, we held in check. Yes, Peterson rolled us. I don't know why this keeps getting brought up like it defines the defense for the year.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Some other really good RB's, like Chris Johnson and Foster, we held in check. Yes, Peterson rolled us. I don't know why this keeps getting brought up like it defines the defense for the year.

I didn't see anyone say it defined the defense but regarding Peterson ask the ones who brought it up. I was just expressing an opinion in pace with the dialogue that got started.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Really? if the offense sustains longer drives the defense gets rest..therefore they are fresher. Also if the offense can't get any yards they put the defense in a compromising position because they opponent is probably already in good field position.

And that was my argument for the Niner playoff loss..But it seemed like no one understood it

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score

False. He had 212 against STL, and averaged 10.7 against SEA. We now know our defense has a tendency to wear down at the end of the year, thanks to these two last years. That and we injure. Remember Who AP was running into, Walden Jones Hawk Jennings Williams etc.

H

HardRightEdge

Kaepernick ran for 178 yards BEFORE CONTACT. Any other factor contributing to the loss pales in comparison.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
False. He had 212 against STL, and averaged 10.7 against SEA. We now know our defense has a tendency to wear down at the end of the year, thanks to these two last years. That and we injure. Remember Who AP was running into, Walden Jones Hawk Jennings Williams etc.

See post # 67. I already noted that St Louis (I said one other team) gave up over 200 yards. But that was the only other team to give up over 200 yards. And what was that St. Louis record?