Packers Have an Underrated Defense

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While we're on the topic, we also don't need the defense to be great to be a Super Bowl team. Assuming the offense re-establishes itself as a top-5 offense next season, an average to slightly-above-average defense can get the job done. I wrote about it this past pre-season here: http://wp.me/p29VCs-9o

Stats bear out the importance of defense for Super Bowl teams. 38 out of 46 SB winners fielded top-10 defenses. But, the 2011 SB included the 27th and 31st ranked overall defenses. And since 2000, 14 of the 24 SB teams (not including this year) had top-10 defenses.

Offense is taking over in the NFL. We have that accounted for. So, if our defense can build on some of the improvements from last season - QB sacks, stuffing most of the runners, and the play by their corners - the Packers defense should be in a better position to make a run at the SB.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers have an underrated defense?? No. They werent very good unless i was watching a differrent team the entire year. We have been bad on defense two yrs now but im doom and gloom? Haha ok, but if i am its from watching the defense hows that for doom and gloom skippy??

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers have an underrated defense?? No. They werent very good unless i was watching a differrent team the entire year. We have been bad on defense two yrs now but im doom and gloom? Haha ok, but if i am its from watching the defense hows that for doom and gloom skippy??

The opposite side of Gloom and Doom is "Don't Worry, Be Happy". :giggle:

H

HardRightEdge

"...Green Bay ranked only 18th in percentage of pass plays in which pressure was evident.”
...while ranking 8th. in the league in blitz frequency. The pass rush improved markedly from 2011's abysmal performance, but still has a ways to go.

Our 3 man rush comes complete with a rocking chair...when I see it I cringe.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
...while ranking 8th. in the league in blitz frequency. The pass rush improved markedly from 2011's abysmal performance, but still has a ways to go.

Our 3 man rush comes complete with a rocking chair...when I see it I cringe.

Yeah, that capers 3 man rush we try to apply during an opponants 3rd and long situation makes me so p!ssed off. Not to mention when we do drop 8 guys into that prevent coverage it is in a soft zone and we get picked apart even by sub par QB's.........see Jags game, we made Gabbert look good. I say rush 5 like they do to us.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
the offense wasn't exactly sustaining drives like a champ during our struggles...

I brought that up to, but a majority didnt want to hear the offense sucked during parts of games..

I dont see to many saying how we didnt have our starters in for a lot of the game on defense either..Would be nice to see what would have happened if those guys were there for most of the year

OP
OP
Aaron rodgers is god
Reaction score
Yeah, that capers 3 man rush we try to apply during an opponants 3rd and long situation makes me so p!ssed off. Not to mention when we do drop 8 guys into that prevent coverage it is in a soft zone and we get picked apart even by sub par QB's.........see Jags game, we made Gabbert look good. I say rush 5 like they do to us.
People don't blitz the Packers much anymore. They learned it the hard way in 2011. In 2012 they played mainly coverage against the Packers. Rush 4 and have 7 in coverage.

13 Times Champs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
^^

Or even three sometimes. Newhouse = Pressure. :(

btw, we can only discuss the Packer defense in terms of underated for 2012. There seems to have been some posters trying to fast forward their argument into the 2013 season. We don't know how the Packer defense will perform in the upcoming season.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
^^

Or even three sometimes. Newhouse = Pressure. :(

btw, we can only discuss the Packer defense in terms of underated for 2012. There seems to have been some posters trying to fast forward their argument into the 2013 season. We don't know how the Packer defense will perform in the upcoming season.

Well they can't get any worse...or can they???:eek:

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't want to point out the obvious, but the Packers defense was historically bad in 2011. It was impossible for the defense to not "improve" in 2012.

Actually, it was quite possible for the defense to show little or no improvement last year.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Reaction score
The 2012 defense reminded me of the 09 defense ... a few pieces here and there, less injuries here and there - another off season learning their schemes - we're right there - close to being a good defense most games (like our 2010 squad) rather than a couple....

Just need our young guys to continue to grow - a couple quality draft picks here and there, a couple undrafted free agents making the roster ....

I think Dom is doing an alright job considering the influx of youngsters. **** LaBeau/San Fran's coordinator usually have a ton of older guys starting and the rookies as rotational backups - Dom has to rely on his rookies starting from the get go. When the D start playing consistently like grown men - we'll stop getting punked out in the playoffs (I hope).

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
No, you watched all the same games I did. The difference was that you were expecting a dominating performance each game and were let down. This led you to believe it wasn't a very good defense. I watched the same games and was inspired that at times they played really well. This led me to believe they were a defense on the rise.
The Packers were not bad on defense last year. They were better than middle of the road which if I'm using the term "bad" incorrectly please let me know. I've always considered "bad" as being the lower end of average.

texaspackerbacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just as a matter of defining terms, when a 3-4 team sends one additional guy, is that counted as a blitz?If so, it would partially account for the high ranking in blitzes. Good point about the offense not sustaining drives like the year or two before. I would blame the O-Line - injuries and just mediocrity for that. You could say the same for the D, but I just get the feeling things wouldn't have been that much better even without the injuries. The good news, like somebody said, is if the O snaps back, the D doesn't need to be that great.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just as a matter of defining terms, when a 3-4 team sends one additional guy, is that counted as a blitz?If so, it would partially account for the high ranking in blitzes. Good point about the offense not sustaining drives like the year or two before. I would blame the O-Line - injuries and just mediocrity for that. You could say the same for the D, but I just get the feeling things wouldn't have been that much better even without the injuries. The good news, like somebody said, is if the O snaps back, the D doesn't need to be that great.

funny when ppl talk about the offense because in 2011 when they were scoring a ton of points and we ranked what?? dead last in defense and most passing yards ever surrendered in a season ppl were complaining about the offense scoring to quickly lol smh. They had a bit of a dip last year and the defense was still suspect. you guy's see where i'm going with this? Theres really not a logical reason to blame the offense because in order for them to sustain drives the defense still has to stop people and get off the field.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Like anything, the internet is ripe with folks who quickly gravitate towards the extremes. While nobody is advocating that the Pack had a shut-down defense the past two years, there is some sentiment that it was average to good. When people say that the defense was bad, they are not telling the whole story. There were complete successes (Houston) and colossal failures (49ers) but it all balanced out to be an average defense.

If you truly believe that all of the injured starters were not any better than their replacements, then yes, the defense needs an overhaul. Some people in this world (and this forum) believe that the glass is half full, while others believe that it never had any water in it at all.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
Like anything, the internet is ripe with folks who quickly gravitate towards the extremes. While nobody is advocating that the Pack had a shut-down defense the past two years, there is some sentiment that it was average to good. When people say that the defense was bad, they are not telling the whole story. There were complete successes (Houston) and colossal failures (49ers) but it all balanced out to be an average defense.

If you truly believe that all of the injured starters were not any better than their replacements, then yes, the defense needs an overhaul. Some people in this world (and this forum) believe that the glass is half full, while others believe that it never had any water in it at all.
And still others believe the glass is half full and half empty at the same time.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
People don't blitz the Packers much anymore. They learned it the hard way in 2011. In 2012 they played mainly coverage against the Packers. Rush 4 and have 7 in coverage.

No need to blitz when the offensive line can't block and there is no threat of a running game. Just play coverage until the line gets pressure.

mradtke66

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Unless it's a 34, when you normally send 5 guys?

No, even then, the "base" rush of a 3-4 is 4 guys. One of the base ideas behind attacking 3-4s is "guess who number 4 is!" It's a little harder to see, because on running plays, 3-4 look like de facto 5-2s.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
funny when ppl talk about the offense because in 2011 when they were scoring a ton of points and we ranked what?? dead last in defense and most passing yards ever surrendered in a season ppl were complaining about the offense scoring to quickly lol smh. They had a bit of a dip last year and the defense was still suspect. you guy's see where i'm going with this? Theres really not a logical reason to blame the offense because in order for them to sustain drives the defense still has to stop people and get off the field.
Of course they are related.

- Our high scoring fast offense allowed more opportunities for the opposition.
- Our high scoring offense forced the opposition to play in a '2 minute' style (high production) offense. Thus creating more scoring opportunities in hopes of catching up. Conversely, this is dangerous and resulted in many turnovers.
- We did not have a 'historically bad' defense. As a matter of fact there were several defenses worse that year alone.
- We ranked in the middle in points allowed

Nice OP. I like how someone takes the time to think and analyze something; write it out supporting it with facts; and all that some of the pessimists can do in response to support their thinking is: 'it sucks'. (at least Rodell, you tried to support your position - although I don't agree)

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score

How does the offense sustaining drives have anything to do with the defense?

Yes, the defense needs to get off the field one way or another to get the offense on, but what does that have anything to do with what the offense does once they take the field?

Also, the Packers defense was 11th in points and yards allowed, 7th in takeaways, and the team was 14th in time of possession. So I don't agree with your theory at all. The offense struggled on their own this year, it had nothing to do with the defense.

Everyone remembers the 49er game because it's fresh in their minds, but overall I think most of us would agree that if we would have been told before last season that we'd be 11th in points and yards allowed defensively, we would've been very happy with that and figure that would be enough for us to be a dominant team.

Members online

Latest posts