Packers had worst play-action offense in 2015

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
..And Janis was at the 15 or so on his Hail Mary endzone catch in the playoffs when the TV broadcast picked him up on screen. Abby and Jones were in or near the end-zone at that same time. What's his excuse for being slow? He got lost because he didn't know the route / playbook? :tdown:
I contend the Packers have one receiver short of the end zone or late arriving in case Aaron needs to dump it short due to the rush on the Hail Mary play. Also be in position to catch deflected passes. RRs speed or lack thereof had no bearing on his position in the play vs Detroit. But again, maybe it was why he was the trailer on the play? But that wouldn't explain the fastest player being the trailer the next time.

Ahhhh.... Just like they drew it up!

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Richard Rodgers is a decent tight end but he's not capable of stretching a defense at all, something the Packers were in desperate need of last season. The team getting Nelson back as well as the addition of Cook will tremendously help the offense in that regard.

I agree that the Packers offense will return to an elite level in 2016.
I read that Rodgers was losing weight this off season too. To gain some speed. If I remember right , he is back at what he was at the combine. But last year he was much heavier. Cant remember off hand, but it was coming up on Oline size.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/07/22/packers-have-richard-rodgers-working-on-weight-loss/

Apparently the combine reference was another article...Aaron Rodgers maybe?

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

..And Janis was at the 15 or so on his Hail Mary endzone catch in the playoffs when the TV broadcast picked him up on screen. Abby and Jones were in or near the end-zone at that same time. What's his excuse for being slow? He got lost because he didn't know the route / playbook? :tdown:
I contend the Packers have one receiver short of the end zone or late arriving in case Aaron needs to dump it short due to the rush on the Hail Mary play. Also be in position to catch deflected passes. RRs speed or lack thereof had no bearing on his position in the play vs Detroit. But again, maybe it was why he was the trailer on the play? But that wouldn't explain the fastest player being the trailer the next time.

I guess Janis was the trailer on the Hail Mary at Arizona because he was the only receiver on the field being fast enough to take a short pass into the end zone.

I read that Rodgers was losing weight this off season too. To gain some speed. If I remember right , he is back at what he was at the combine. But last year he was much heavier. Cant remember off hand, but it was coming up on Oline size.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/07/22/packers-have-richard-rodgers-working-on-weight-loss/

Apparently the combine reference was another article...Aaron Rodgers maybe?

Rodgers weighed 257 pounds at the combine but played at various weight at Cal ranging from 240 to 270 lbs. He was for sure competing at the upper limit last year and I'm absolutely in favor of him getting leaner for the 2016 season.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
OK I think I got it. RR is the trailer because he is too slow to get deep in time except for when Janis is the trailer because he is the only one fast enough to take a short pass the distance. :sick:

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

OK I think I got it. RR is the trailer because he is too slow to get deep in time except for when Janis is the trailer because he is the only one fast enough to take a short pass the distance. :sick:

Do you really disagree with Richard Rodgers being slow??? :rolleyes:

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Do you really disagree with Richard Rodgers being slow??? :rolleyes:
No, I disagree with the assumption he was too slow to be in the end zone sooner for his Hail Mary and the only reason he was open was because he arrived at the party last because of his lack of speed.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

No, I disagree with the assumption he was too slow to be in the end zone sooner for his Hail Mary and the only reason he was open was because he arrived at the party last because of his lack of speed.

I have no idea about how the coaches designed that play but I doubt the plan was to use Rodgers as a trailer on purpose on it because the only way he gets into the end zone on a Hail Mary is if he catches the ball in the end zone.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I have no idea about how the coaches designed that play but I doubt the plan was to use Rodgers as a trailer on purpose on it because the only way he gets into the end zone on a Hail Mary is if he catches the ball in the end zone.
So you admit you don't know the play design. You don't know then if it was executed as designed nor would you know the options available based on the defense. Yet you feel justified in crucifying a player because he did not do what you thought he should which was get to the end zone sooner. The amount of time AR had before he launched the ball plus the flight time would have given my 85 yo father almost enough time to get to the end zone let alone an average NFL caliber athlete of any position. This tells me there was more involved with the play plan and not just a very slow player. Decoy to draw a defender or two, tip drill, whatever.
Edit: did he stay in to block before he realized there was no delayed blitz? Release 2-3 seconds after the rest of the receivers? I don't have time to look that up.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

So you admit you don't know the play design. You don't know then if it was executed as designed nor would you know the options available based on the defense. Yet you feel justified in crucifying a player because he did not do what you thought he should which was get to the end zone sooner. The amount of time AR had before he launched the ball plus the flight time would have given my 85 yo father almost enough time to get to the end zone let alone an average NFL caliber athlete of any position. This tells me there was more involved with the play plan and not just a very slow player. Decoy to draw a defender or two, tip drill, whatever.
Edit: did he stay in to block before he realized there was no delayed blitz? Release 2-3 seconds after the rest of the receivers? I don't have time to look that up.

It wasn't me that crucified Rodgers for not getting to the end zone faster on that play. There's no doubt that was too slow to gain any yards after the catch last season though.

FYI he didn't stay in to block on the Hail Mary at Detroit but released immediately after the snap.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts