Packers had worst play-action offense in 2015

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While the stats bear out that we ran the ball decently, our running game was never a threat. Defensive coordinators knew that big Eddie and Starks would get yards, but not worried about those yards leading to points. Therefore they just waited out the storm, not falling for play action, and sicking their dogs on our receivers. It was a very effective strategy.

Reaction score
id like us to utilize dump passes to RBs more, especially with Starks and a re/energized and lighter Eddie Lacy.
Hopefully opposing Defenses will respect the deep ball again to open things up for Eddie n Co.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's tough to run play-action when you don't have a running game, deep threat, or tight end to exploit the middle of the field.

(Really hope that changes this year with a skinny Eddie Lacy, healthy Jordy Nelson, and Jared Cook)

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's tough to run play-action when you don't have a running game, deep threat, or tight end to exploit the middle of the field.

(Really hope that changes this year with a skinny Eddie Lacy, healthy Jordy Nelson, and Jared Cook)
You're right. The CBs could play man on every WR and shut them down, the safety could sit in the middle of the field due to predictable play calling, and the guy covering Rodgers could bite on the fake, leave the stadium, have dinner at Red Lobster, and get back on the field by the time Rodgers even traveled 5 yards, giving him plenty of time to recover and get back to covering him.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

id like us to utilize dump passes to RBs more, especially with Starks and a re/energized and lighter Eddie Lacy.
Hopefully opposing Defenses will respect the deep ball again to open things up for Eddie n Co.

I'm fine with using Lacy, as long as he's in shape, as well as Starks, who tremendously improved in that department last season, as receivers. The team's passing offense should be centered around the wide receivers though.

H

HardRightEdge

It's a confluence of factors, but in the final analysis play action throws are slow to develop, push the 2.5 second window, and are intended to go downfield. Guys were not getting open. In the past, if teams would not respect the run, which they often did not given the Packers fairly predictable run/pass play selection based on down and distance, Rodgers made hay outside the pocket, particularly with Cobb in free lance mode. Last season, that formula simply was not working.

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm fine with using Lacy, as long as he's in shape, as well as Starks, who tremendously improved in that department last season, as receivers. The team's passing offense should be centered around the wide receivers though.
Dumps and screens seem to be Starks bread and butter. I agree with others that we overpaid on his contract. But lets hope he shows us wrong and keeps that ball held tight. All in all he's one of the underrated backs in the league, and its a nice 1-2 punch pairing him with a thumper like Lacy.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Dumps and screens seem to be Starks bread and butter. I agree with others that we overpaid on his contract. But lets hope he shows us wrong and keeps that ball held tight. All in all he's one of the underrated backs in the league, and its a nice 1-2 punch pairing him with a thumper like Lacy.

Starks is a valuable backup running back but he doesn't excel as a starter for an entire season. With that being said there's no doubt in my mind the Packers overpaid to re-sign him.

Lacy proved in 2014 that he's a dangerous threat as a pass catcher as well as long as he's in shape.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A decent tight end will make a huge difference in the offense, both running and passing. I'm not convinced that will be Cook, but who knows? Maybe Perillo will shine. Regardless, I'm optimistic that Rogers' problems last year had a lot to do with his knee, and that should not be a problem this year. Assuming we're relatively injury free, we will be as good as anyone this season.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

A decent tight end will make a huge difference in the offense, both running and passing. I'm not convinced that will be Cook, but who knows? Maybe Perillo will shine. Regardless, I'm optimistic that Rogers' problems last year had a lot to do with his knee, and that should not be a problem this year. Assuming we're relatively injury free, we will be as good as anyone this season.

Richard Rodgers is a decent tight end but he's not capable of stretching a defense at all, something the Packers were in desperate need of last season. The team getting Nelson back as well as the addition of Cook will tremendously help the offense in that regard.

I agree that the Packers offense will return to an elite level in 2016.

Arthur Squires

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Perillo is very under the radar. Hes shown on occasion to be reliable in the middle. I think he's better and has a higher ceiling than Backman. Who hasnt shown anything thus far to be worthy of even the 7th round selection.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Perillo is very under the radar. Hes shown on occasion to be reliable in the middle. I think he's better and has a higher ceiling than Backman. Who hasnt shown anything thus far to be worthy of even the 7th round selection.

Perillo is an average tight end at best who has sure hands but aside of that doesn't have a special talent. Most likely the lack of depth at the position is the only reason he has been promoted twice to the Packers active roster.

Backman has more upside as he's an athletic player but wasn't able to grasp the playbook and made a significant mistake on special teams losing contain on Thielen's 41-yard run on a fake punt.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He doesn't drop a pass and can run over people. I like him.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, I like tight ends that can get open and catch the ball. When they are going out for a pass; they don't need to block much. Paul Coffman caught a lot of passes from Lynn ****ey? I doubt he was a great blocker. Rodgers catches the ball well but can't be relied on to get open.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Yeah, I like tight ends that can get open and catch the ball. When they are going out for a pass; they don't need to block much. Paul Coffman caught a lot of passes from Lynn ****ey? I doubt he was a great blocker. Rodgers catches the ball well but can't be relied on to get open.

It's fine to have a tight end on the field not being able to block as long as he's lined up as a pass catcher only. The Packers run game would hugely benefit from having a decent blocking TE though.

Rodgers is more than capable of getting open but doesn't offer a lot after the catch.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really would not say "more than capable." I saw him many times last season going across the middle with a defender right in his pocket. If he can lose some weight in the right places ... maybe. But you sure are right about after the catch. Nada. I don't hate the guy. I just don't see him as being much help.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

I really would not say "more than capable." I saw him many times last season going across the middle with a defender right in his pocket. If he can lose some weight in the right places ... maybe. But you sure are right about after the catch. Nada. I don't hate the guy. I just don't see him as being much help.

Rodgers is for sure a dangerous threat in the red zone. He isn't able to stretch a defense but finds spots regularly, especially in the short range, to get open.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You're right. The CBs could play man on every WR and shut them down, the safety could sit in the middle of the field due to predictable play calling, and the guy covering Rodgers could bite on the fake, leave the stadium, have dinner at Red Lobster, and get back on the field by the time Rodgers even traveled 5 yards, giving him plenty of time to recover and get back to covering him.

That's my favorite part about the Hail Mary vs. the Lions. Richard Rodgers was wide open because he was still trotting down the field while the receivers and defensive backs were setting up to catch the pass.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

That's my favorite part about the Hail Mary vs. the Lions. Richard Rodgers was wide open because he was still trotting down the field while the receivers and defensive backs were setting up to catch the pass.

While Rodgers being extremely slow might have helped on the Hail Mary vs. the Lions it's a huge disadvantage on most plays, especially after he catches the ball.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
While Rodgers being extremely slow might have helped on the Hail Mary vs. the Lions it's a huge disadvantage on most plays, especially after he catches the ball.
..And Janis was at the 15 or so on his Hail Mary endzone catch in the playoffs when the TV broadcast picked him up on screen. Abby and Jones were in or near the end-zone at that same time. What's his excuse for being slow? He got lost because he didn't know the route / playbook? :tdown:
I contend the Packers have one receiver short of the end zone or late arriving in case Aaron needs to dump it short due to the rush on the Hail Mary play. Also be in position to catch deflected passes. RRs speed or lack thereof had no bearing on his position in the play vs Detroit. But again, maybe it was why he was the trailer on the play? But that wouldn't explain the fastest player being the trailer the next time.

Members online

Latest posts