Packers had players only meeting over excessive video games

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm willing to bet this is something that's a non-story if we don't lose 4 out of our last 5 games.

Could our players be spending too much time in front of the TV screen? Of course. Does the average young adult male in the year 2015? Of course. I'd bet there's players who play too much on every team. Or look at last year's Badgers Men's Basketball team who became famous at one point on their way to their second consecutive Final Four, for playing Super Smash Bros.

But we're not used to losing here in Green Bay, especially as of late. Blaming Rodgers' girlfriend, Eddie Lacy's love for football, and Adams' "video game addiction" are all easy excuses. I expect it to continue until some of these close losses start turning the other way.

azrsx05

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Whoever it is release him. Then he will have plenty of time to play all the video games he wants. If you can't be a pro and do your damn job and prepare for it. You don't deserve a spot in an NFL roster. Playing in the nfl is not an entitlement.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why would any good coach allow this to occur? MM has a history with his temper. It's time to unleash it.

OP
OP
A

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm willing to bet this is something that's a non-story if we don't lose 4 out of our last 5 games.

Could our players be spending too much time in front of the TV screen? Of course. Does the average young adult male in the year 2015? Of course. I'd bet there's players who play too much on every team. Or look at last year's Badgers Men's Basketball team who became famous at one point on their way to their second consecutive Final Four, for playing Super Smash Bros.

But we're not used to losing here in Green Bay, especially as of late. Blaming Rodgers' girlfriend, Eddie Lacy's love for football, and Adams' "video game addiction" are all easy excuses. I expect it to continue until some of these close losses start turning the other way.

The average adult male doesn't have a job playing professional football which requires a great amount of time dedication during the season. They've got the whole offseason to play video games. I also don't care what the Badger basketball team is doing as they are college kids, not paid professional athletes.

Look, I don't think anyone really cares or should care what these guys are doing in their free time provided it's not harmful to themselves or the team. If Davante Adams wants to kick back with a game of Madden at the end of the day before bed, more power to him. If he's staying up until 4 am playing and he can't stay awake in meetings and has no idea what's going on in the playbook, that's entirely different. I doubt it's that severe, but I also doubt the players would have called a team meeting over it if it was just the former.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't buy this like it is being sold. These guys hang out in the locker room which is full of lounge areas with all kinds of entertainment. The young cats were probably in the lounge playing games and hooting and hollering and having a good time while the older vet Rodgers was studying film.

These are YOUNG players. This is normal. The worst thing to do is be a **** about it. Its not like this prep works as your offensive scheme ****ing sucks. Go in there and grab a controller and play a game. It will do far more than you think it will. Think back to when you were a rook or 1st yr player and old man #4 was there in his own corner of the locker room.

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't buy this like it is being sold. These guys hang out in the locker room which is full of lounge areas with all kinds of entertainment. The young cats were probably in the lounge playing games and hooting and hollering and having a good time while the older vet Rodgers was studying film.

These are YOUNG players. This is normal. The worst thing to do is be a **** about it. Its not like this prep works as your offensive scheme ******* sucks. Go in there and grab a controller and play a game. It will do far more than you think it will. Think back to when you were a rook or 1st yr player and old man #4 was there in his own corner of the locker room.

Rodgers demands the players to be mentally ready when getting on the field. If some of the young ones prefer to play video games instead of putting time in to study the playbook and end up not being on the same page with the QB on game day I fully understand his frustration.

Viper556

Cheesehead
Reaction score

These are YOUNG players. This is normal. The worst thing to do is be a **** about it. Its not like this prep works as your offensive scheme ******* sucks. Go in there and grab a controller and play a game. It will do far more than you think it will. Think back to when you were a rook or 1st yr player and old man #4 was there in his own corner of the locker room.

We should have the kind of players that don't need to be told that they should be studying film instead of playing video games. If this is true, it's ridiculous.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
Who on the team is this about, and why can we not trust adult professionals to put in the necessary time and effort to prepare for our games, particularly during a time when we're really struggling?

Because... are they REALLY adults? They're professional to be sure from the standpoint that they're paid to play ... but ... adults?

I don't mean to offend young men ... but it's been my experience that more often than not, they need their ***es pushed and 'coached' into knowing what is most important, or they will do what they've always done...which is things that kids like to do.

yooperpackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Because... are they REALLY adults? They're professional to be sure from the standpoint that they're paid to play ... but ... adults?

I don't mean to offend young men ... but it's been my experience that more often than not, they need their ***es pushed and 'coached' into knowing what is most important, or they will do what they've always done...which is things that kids like to do.
If the coaches aren't on top of this, I just don't know what to say.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
If players are unprepared I really don’t care what the reason is. What I care about is performance, so here’s an idea: If a player like Davante Adams habitually drops catchable passes and habitually runs lazy routes, sit him down and tell him the reason why. McCarthy “calling him out” on a play is fine but not nearly enough. The greatest leverage coaches have with professional athletes is playing time.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we keep hearing more of such things as this, it would point to a lost locker room, which would be serious short term and fatal long term.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Same scheme that's produced one of the best offenses year after year....

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Ah.......I see the problem now. The WR's are confusing the plays in Madden with the plays in the play book......now it makes sense.

Maybe they should ask Teddy Bridgewater how to put the Packers plays into Madden. It might help. ;)

Last edited:
Reaction score
If players are unprepared I really don’t care what the reason is. What I care about is performance, so here’s an idea: If a player like Davante Adams habitually drops catchable passes and habitually runs lazy routes, sit him down and tell him the reason why. McCarthy “calling him out” on a play is fine but not nearly enough. The greatest leverage coaches have with professional athletes is playing time.
100% agree... if I may piggyback please..
I think we will continue to see more injections of Janis, Abby, Montgomery and Quarless in the very near future and it won't be the direct results of their performance that helps as much as motivating the starters that have to possibly watch themselves be outperformed.
There is nothing more motivational than the fear of losing your FT job. :eek:

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can guarantee you that no one will be concerned with Quarless performance being why they lose they're job.

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah I doubt it was really over video games. I remember when collinsworth said this comment and he said it in a jokingish tone and tounge in cheeky. Not literally meant about video games. Doubt collinsworth even had the slightest idea about what was said in their meeting. They probably went over mental preparation in general, not spending too much time on video games.

Pamm

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have read a recent (today ) interview that said QB1 did not call or attend any members only meeting. Are we sure this even happened?

Members online

Latest posts