Packers GM Brian Gutekunst

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seems only fitting we have thread for this guy. I’m going to be honest, I just don’t like this guy…never have. Yes he’s spent some money and bought in some guys but he just strikes me as a smug know it all type of dude. His drafts have been ok, not great. Plus I’m sure Rodgers and Adams both hate the guy so there’s that.

I

I asked LT to delete my acct

Seems only fitting we have thread for this guy. I’m going to be honest, I just don’t like this guy…never have. Yes he’s spent some money and bought in some guys but he just strikes me as a smug know it all type of dude. His drafts have been ok, not great. Plus I’m sure Rodgers and Adams both hate the guy so there’s that.

Just SMH....repeatedly

PackerfaninCarolina

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Personally I'm split on the guy. Yeah there was things he did early on for example drafting J'Mon Moore and Josh Jackson, and even possibly the Sternberger pick and signing Jimmy Graham also looked bad.

But I actually do like the Jordan Love pick now that I've seen the guy play and would prefer to at least see how that plays out before fully getting on board with firing the guy. But going forward we're took to have to do a much better job managing the cap situation.

Shaggy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score

Please do not post thread titles like that. I edited your title as I do not want threads title or posts like that here please. Thanks!

JK64

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gute has totally failed with the online and dline.

Reaction score
I think he came in aggressive with 4 FA additions. Overall we got our $$ worth, but conversely it was those contracts that limited us going forward. I guess you could say he blew his *** in one fell swoop. B-

Aside from that we’ve got three drafts.

2019 he hit with Rashan, Savage, Elgton at the top B+ A- overall.

2020 He led with the replacement for Aaron and in doing so, divided the fan base, upset his Star QB and sent ruffles through the ranks. From a general consensus around the league and in the public eye, it was controversial at best. We won’t know what the direct to indirect cost of that move was entirely until Love gets opportunities to prove his worth. Obviously it’s unfair to grade him fully, but as of now production grades in the C- range are reasonable imo. That could change in dynamic fashion based on Love’s success or decline.

2021 brought a more safe approach by going after a position needs. It’s likely several players from this class earn (ultimately) starting roles at worst.
It’s early but I’d give him a B grade early in.

I think a large part of the grade is the Final exam. we have to grade our success at the outcomes of the seasons that are complete. A pair of NFC appearances and 13-3 records. A- grades.

Overall, Brian gets a B to B+ grade +-
Certainly not a firm argument to put him on academic probation because of a minor domestic dispute on campus. Now his grades may slide in 2021, but it’s unreasonable to grade someone using projection based on 1 bad test score to open the semester.

I think we could’ve done much worse.

Last edited:

Spanky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am a Gutekunst supporter. His drafts have been solid and his FA signings pretty good.

I don't hold anything against him with Rodgers because Rodgers is a self-entitled ****** for whom no GM could make happy.

D

Deleted member 6794

While I don't agree with every single move Gutekunst has made over the past three years it's ridiculous to suggest he should be fired as there's absolutely no denying the team has had success making it to consecutive NFCCGs. Ultimately he will be evaluated on how the situation with Rodgers and Love works out in the long haul.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am a Gutekunst supporter. His drafts have been solid and his FA signings pretty good.

I don't hold anything against him with Rodgers because Rodgers is a self-entitled ****** for whom no GM could make happy.

Wow. I feel that somebody should point out that, no matter how self-entitled he might be, Rodgers is the main reason this team is as good as it is. Gute's drafts have been fairly decent and his FA signings pretty good actually, but GM's also are in charge of managing the current team and annoying your strongest employee is not generally a good management technique.

Spanky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow. I feel that somebody should point out that, no matter how self-entitled he might be, Rodgers is the main reason this team is as good as it is. Gute's drafts have been fairly decent and his FA signings pretty good actually, but GM's also are in charge of managing the current team and annoying your strongest employee is not generally a good management technique.

I fully recognize that Rodgers has been the best player on the team for a long time and has much to do with their success during his time as a starter. But Gutekunst has been criticized for not making Rodgers happy. My point is that I don't think any GM could make Rodgers happy. The self-entitlement is that Rodgers thinks he should be making roster decisions. That's not his role and never should be.

Snoops

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really think Murphy’s calling all the shots to certain points the big moves and using gute as his scape

realitybytez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The self-entitlement is that Rodgers thinks he should be making roster decisions. That's not his role and never should be.
sorry. that's just a story that the media is selling. rodgers has never said that he should be making roster decisions. he only wants to have a voice. a seat at the table. and he has flat out said that they do not have to do what he says.

but honestly, if they would have listened to him and brought in players who could have made an immediate impact instead of guys that they did not plan to use for two or three years, we probably could have made it to the big dance at least one of the last two years.

Spanky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
but honestly, if they would have listened to him and brought in players who could have made an immediate impact instead of guys that they did not plan to use for two or three years, we probably could have made it to the big dance at least one of the last two years.
I disagree. But ultimately it's impossible to know.

Bobby Ward

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I absolutely agree here but it needs to include a new job elsewhere for Mark Murphy as well. And people need to look at the fiasco that has been and continues to manifest around the draft of Jordaan Love. After the humiliating losses to San Francisco in the regular season and the playoffs, Gutekuenst and Le Fleur spent weeks talking about getting bona fide defensive players on the line to help stop the run. Then they draft Jordan Love instead??? And we STILL cannot stop the run. Fire them both!

D

Deleted member 6794

I absolutely agree here but it needs to include a new job elsewhere for Mark Murphy as well. And people need to look at the fiasco that has been and continues to manifest around the draft of Jordaan Love. After the humiliating losses to San Francisco in the regular season and the playoffs, Gutekuenst and Le Fleur spent weeks talking about getting bona fide defensive players on the line to help stop the run. Then they draft Jordan Love instead??? And we STILL cannot stop the run. Fire them both!

I definitely agree that drafting Love was a terrible move but the Packers are 29-9 since Gutekunst hired MLF as the team's head coach which ranks second in the NFL over that period behind the Chiefs. While it's disappointed we haven't been able to win the Super Bowl there's no valid argument for them to be fired.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Lol, if that happened there would be 31 teams wondering what the hell is going through those morons on the Packers BOD minds.

MNCheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not in favor of firing Gutey...but at this point ,I'm extremely disappointed in his inability in improving this years talent on defense...namely the Defensive line. Keke, Lancaster, and Lowry are a complete joke. How can he sit in his box and watch what's going on...these guys are getting shoved back at the line of scrimmage 4 yards back before the runner gets to to to line of scrimmage. This team will never win a Super Bowl with those guys up front!!! Why can't he give up a few future draft pics to help this team out...we need help there desperately!!! With the likelihood of this being Rodgers last year...we will recoup and gain draft capital if we trade him. There is no hoping these guys develop as they get more exp. but their will be none with these guys...they are who they are. I always felt that one of Teddys biggest weaknesses was never succ. in getting help where we needed it most by making a trade, and I think Gutey feels the same way about his future draft picks also. I know some will say we have to find a trade partner first...but you can't tell me that amongst 31 other teams that they would be willing to trade a guy for a third or whatever. For once man ..don't be too stingy and get some help for this defense ....you have done some good things in the past...this team needs help now!!!!!

LetzBreel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
sorry. that's just a story that the media is selling. rodgers has never said that he should be making roster decisions. he only wants to have a voice. a seat at the table. and he has flat out said that they do not have to do what he says.

#12 it seems, doesn't know what he wants.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not in favor of firing Gutey...but at this point ,I'm extremely disappointed in his inability in improving this years talent on defense...namely the Defensive line. Keke, Lancaster, and Lowry are a complete joke. How can he sit in his box and watch what's going on...these guys are getting shoved back at the line of scrimmage 4 yards back before the runner gets to to to line of scrimmage. This team will never win a Super Bowl with those guys up front!!! Why can't he give up a few future draft pics to help this team out...we need help there desperately!!! With the likelihood of this being Rodgers last year...we will recoup and gain draft capital if we trade him. There is no hoping these guys develop as they get more exp. but their will be none with these guys...they are who they are. I always felt that one of Teddys biggest weaknesses was never succ. in getting help where we needed it most by making a trade, and I think Gutey feels the same way about his future draft picks also. I know some will say we have to find a trade partner first...but you can't tell me that amongst 31 other teams that they would be willing to trade a guy for a third or whatever. For once man ..don't be too stingy and get some help for this defense ....you have done some good things in the past...this team needs help now!!!!!
I don't pretend to be a salary cap expert. But it sure feels like to me that we are up against it.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts