Packers get their Safety in Manuel?

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope the guy becomes a starter and goes to the pro-bowl.

The point I was trying to make is that everytime Sherman made a move he was an idiot, which wasn't true, the truth being, nobody knows what will happen to any player, so when this guy doesn't work out or if someone else doesn't work out, those of you who want to play the damn blame game and ***** and moan be real careful what you post because most of the time you are made to look pretty dumb.

Support your team whoever is the coach or whoever plays, if they make a mistake, hope they will learn from it.
Oh and by the way it is a Team game so there is never one person to blame for any one loss.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
digsthepack said:
Oh, my, Backin-Packin....waiting for facts and evidence to make an informed decision...for shame...for shame!!

The funny thing is, some folks are under the terribly misguided belief that every position be filled with a player with Pro-Bowl credentials...and that every FA should be drooling at the prospect of playing in little, historic Green Bay.

There are few superstars on any team, but many solid contributors. At first glance, this kid looks like he can be a solid contributor...on the evidence that IS available.

digs....becoming one of the new brat pack? Bottom line is this forum is for people to vent,discuss,speculate etc. I (once again) find it amazing how defensive you are of TT when someone has "the balls" to question one of his moves. Personally, I haven't questioned this move yet because I don't know enough about it. But I can guarantee you one thing.....If Sherman made this exact same signing....you and a bunch of others on this site would be ripping him. Admit it!

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have no reason to defend TT except for what I know...he had a good draft, didn't do so well with FAs last year, has begun to restore order to a previously chaotic environment (financially and otherwise), and has initiated a dialogue with a player who appears to have the skills to work well with Collins in the backfield....fairly mixed bag there, DePack, but positive overall in my opinion.

I do not believe I have elevated TT and Manuel to all-world status...but am merely pointing out there is evidence (if people wish to bother with such trivial ****) that this kid has a future....all I am saying is it looks like a decent sign.....while others choose to ignore his accomplishments thus far as it affords them an opportunity to jab TT because he refused to overpay Pro-Bowl guards and did not do so well replacing them...as if replacing 2 Pro-Bowl guards just happens....because they grow on trees!

DePack....look back on my history with regard to Sherman. EVERYTHING I had issues with were fairly well documented...I did not rip MS for sport as you contend, I had major issues with his leadership, strategic/tactical skills, and misplaced loyalties. So, please, quit trolling out that old gem....it is getting old and the facts do not support your assertions. Hey, you and others may not agree with my assessment of MS, but every time I let loose on the guy, I explained my reasoning in a very well though out manner with plenty of examples.

Too much of this stuff is *****ing for *****ing's sake....boredom probably...we could all use a fix o' football to quell the jonesing at this point.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
digsthepack said:
I have no reason to defend TT except for what I know...he had a good draft, didn't do so well with FAs last year, has begun to restore order to a previously chaotic environment (financially and otherwise), and has initiated a dialogue with a player who appears to have the skills to work well with Collins in the backfield....fairly mixed bag there, DePack, but positive overall in my opinion.

that is EXACTLY how I feel, but I am labeled a TT lover, a 'blind follower,'etc..some silly people here.

All we have to judge is what hes done...and so far, so good.

It is as simple as that. Could TT make horrible moves, and hurt the franchsie for multiple years? Sure he could, and my opinion would change, cuz what some people dont understand, is opinions do change, based on new facts. You think people liked favre in his first game here? Opinions change...theyre not flip floppers...

sorry about the rant, i just agree. I hope he continues to clean up the mess, and build a solid team here. Free agency hasnt evne started yet for crying out loud, and people are condemning his FA pickups...

GakkofNorway

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've been labeled a TT lover too, but in fact I don't agree with every move he makes, but he has done a lot of good moves so far, and a few bad ones.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
GakkofNorway said:
I've been labeled a TT lover too, but in fact I don't agree with every move he makes, but he has done a lot of good moves so far, and a few bad ones.

i feel ya, gakk. i havent agreed with every move myself, but for the most part, i like it.

I love you guys.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IF you believe this, it could mean the end of Todd Franz in Green Bay.

Wow, inflation is back. That much money for a guy who might work into the dime package. His 4.6 speed is not enough to beat out Roman who held off 2 starters the Packers brought in for competition. Locking him in for years will overcome the inflationary price.

This guy was a waiver pick up for Seattle in 2004. Ted Thompson seems to have a good sense of the scrap-heap/bottom-feeder part of the market. After all he "found" Gado, Donald Lee, Herron, Thornburg, Wishom, Leake, Little as minimum wage guys.

Now he has more than minimum wage to spend on free agents.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You guys are so full of ****. Anytime someone questions a move by TT all three of you guys rip them. I haven't jumped on TT yet, the books still out on him, but he is MY GM so I wish him the best and you will rarely if ever see me rip him.

However the difference between you guys and me is that Mike Sherman was MY GM also......I supported him because he was the GM for the Packers. You guys didn't support him, which is your right. Just recognize the rights of those that want to rip TT when things go bad without ridiculing them......otherwise it just shows how hypocritical you are.

I love you guys and I wince whenever I see someone rip TT but if you agree that Sherman was fair game....then you have to agree that TT is also.

By the way. I don't think you can say last years draft was a success yet, but hopefully it will turn out that way. Collins was a great pick but if Rodgers doesn't pan out and T Murph can't answer the bell next season it might not turn out as we hope.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
DePack said:
You guys are so full of ****. Anytime someone questions a move by TT all three of you guys rip them. I haven't jumped on TT yet, the books still out on him, but he is MY GM so I wish him the best and you will rarely if ever see me rip him.

However the difference between you guys and me is that Mike Sherman was MY GM also......I supported him because he was the GM for the Packers. You guys didn't support him, which is your right. Just recognize the rights of those that want to rip TT when things go bad without ridiculing them......otherwise it just shows how hypocritical you are.

I love you guys and I wince whenever I see someone rip TT but if you agree that Sherman was fair game....then you have to agree that TT is also.

By the way. I don't think you can say last years draft was a success yet, but hopefully it will turn out that way. Collins was a great pick but if Rodgers doesn't pan out and T Murph can't answer the bell next season it might not turn out as we hope.

Nope, wrong.

TT is fair game. He isnt perfect. I have said this before, but I guess you only read posts that agree with you. He has made bad moves, and good moves. He has made more good moves than bad. He got Klemm, that was bad. He brought us Gado and Gardner, that was good. He had a very good draft. The sherman extension then firing was dumb. Hiring Sanders and keeping the same scheme 2 years in a row for once..is good.

See? Good..and bad.

If people want to hate him for the moves he makes, thats fine. If people dont like re-signing green, keeping gado,etc that is their opnion, and thats fine.

What I DO have a problem with, is the conspriacy crap. You know, the "He is pushing favre out" conspiracies. If you hate TT for that...for a conspiracy in which all the facts dispell that rumor...then you are an idiot, and I will tell you so.

TT is pushing Favre out? Why? Because he drafted a QB last year in the first round? Well, Aaron Rodgers was a potential #1 overall pick! There is no way in hell TT could not take that. Getting a #1 pick at 24(25? what were we?) is not pushing favre out, it is smart.

TT pushing favre out? Why? Because he has visited him and talks to him constantly? That kind of doesnt make sense...but neither does the whole idiot conspiracy.

TT is pushing favre out? Why? Because TT hired a coach who favre is familiar with and will have a comfort level with? Wow, that makes it sound like TT is trying to get favre to stay. That doesnt help the conspiracy at all, but the conspiracy idiots(and yes, you ARE idiots) tend to ignore these facts.

TT is pushing favre out? Why? Because he just re-signed Favres friend and RB for the last 5 years, Ahman Green? Wow....take your conspiracy, write a short story, submit it to a writing magazine, but putting it on the boards makes you look like a fool.

Tromadz...OUT.

edit - i dont know if you were a conspiracy person depack, im just saying those are the people i tear into..

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was complementing Ted Thompson on his knowledge of a segment of the free agent market. I listed a number of his successes in picking up minimum wage guys. I like Donald Lee better than a much higher priced Martin. I think dollars/yard Gado is a better deal than Ahman Green.

The posts in front of mine were generally positive on Ted Thompson.

If you disagree with a Ted signing, give a reason. I expressed some concerns over this signing but I have been wrong in the past. I would have kept Steele over Donald Lee. Now I see it was a good move. Initially I hated last years draft now I am more positive.

Ted has more information than we do. We only discuss the pro and cons of each move as interested observers.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
CaliforniaCheez said:
If you disagree with a Ted signing, give a reason. I expressed some concerns over this signing but I have been wrong in the past. I would have kept Steele over Donald Lee. Now I see it was a good move. Initially I hated last years draft now I am more positive.

Ted has more information than we do. We only discuss the pro and cons of each move as interested observers.

I agree, which is why I always give management(inany sport) the benefit of the doubt. They know just a little bit more than we do, believe it or not.

-Maqruand for example. On the surface he sounds like Mark Roman 2.0 but when you look at things, like TTs past with him, him being praised by his coaches in seattle, and Marquand being coached by some of our coaches in the past...its a little deeper than "he didnt have any interceptions last year." but like i said, lets wait and see.

But when things pan out, and guys like Carroll dont pan out...then its open season on them.

Id say TTs biggest bust was the Klemm signing. That was horrible. But now we have money to actually get someone of quality, so lets see if he does.

If he doesnt, and in week 17 we arent going to the playoffs, because of a bad offensive line...pray for TTs soul.

wils0646

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just so people know, this is what some Seattle Seahawks fans said about him:

“Anyway, from my perspective, he's a good in-the-box Safety. Stout against the run and gets around the field relatively well. He's not the centerfield type of Safety, but he's average in coverage. Opportunistic, though, and he can deliver the big hit (hello Jeremy Shockey). So he might be a liability in coverage occasionally, but I guess it really depends on how he's used. If he's used as a SS, he should do great. If it's as a FS, he might be a bit of a liability in coverage. That's what I think of him, anyway.â€

OP
OP
A
Reaction score
Damn, I didn't mean this thread as a way to basically start a fight between different posters. What I meant to do by this thread was simple, let others know this could be a likly FA signing, and to debate on the fact that why would TT make this move?

My criticism here is that while he is obviously a better tackler that Roman, the fact that he was beat out by Roman in Cincinati raises a concern for me. And while he might be able to lay a licking, I would like to see our Safties get some turnovers too. And the fact that he has zero in his career so far would suggest he has poor pass skills. I know the fact that he could have had some chances, but lets face it, you would at least expect him to get one.

I am not going to outright say TT sucks. But I will criticize this pick because that is my right as the fan of this team. ON PAPER this looks like a very questionable move. I was just pointing out that I believe the price tag we got him for (of course if it is correct, could very well be wrong), this wasn't the greatest of deals. Could I be wrong, HELL YES! Would I like to be wrong? Well if me being wrong is going to benefit the Packers, then I wish I am wrong, and I WILL step up and say I made a mistake in questioning this move.

I also just wanted to bring up the fact that since he is a sure tackler, maybe we would switch him to LB. This is the offseason, and these rumors are something I will post for the simple fact that talking about only facts will make this forum less interesting. As fans, we can speculate, criticize, and of course dream of what can be. That was my only reason to start this thread, not to make fun of TT, or MS, or have members fight it out. I just wanted to talk about a possible direction that the Packers could take. And if I am wrong in doing so, then I will appologize if I have to.

Edit: Thanks for the comments from Hawks fans. Well after reading those, perhaps his skills aren't as bad as first thought. Interesting, someone considered him to be one of the big reasons the lost the SB. Hmm, that would lead you to believe he is solid, to say the least.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wils, good stuff.

AADP, theres no fighting.

Remember a couple days ago when we signed Ahman to a 4 million dollar contract?

And now we find out it was 1.75 base salary with incentives.

Thats all im sayin.

ILOVETHEPACK

Cheesehead
Reaction score
digsthepack said:
The kid was the starting safety for the better part of the season last year for the Seahawks...and by all accounts accorded himself well. He has been a career backup and, therefore, has not really had the opportunity to put up the stats so many of you appear to need.

How about these stats:

Drunken waste of a pick at the end of the bench. Rebels authority, is irresponsible and looked horrific in his one pro appearance: Brett Favre

Typical one-dimensional back, has been deemed unworthy of trust by the current staff, tends to drop the ball: Ahman Green

Fact is, we don't know much about this kid and, in today's world, $2 mil is right on for a key backup let alone a starter.

What we do know: He is a sure tackler, took responsibility and performed when thrust into action last year filling in for Ken Hamlin (no small task), he is young and should improve further with the attention afforded starters, and he hits hard but is not the best in coverage. Geez...sounds like Chuck Cecil...someone most love the **** outta.

Bottom line, Collins is our rangy, athletic coverage safety who also packs a whallup. Manuel is our thumper...the physical presence that smashes RBs without hesitation and makes WRs fear the middle...a solid player if his strengths are played to and complemented. Collins is a hell of a complement.

Nicely said!
Man, relax a little bit.

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
mattresell said:
His agent has said the rumors are false. that sounds fairly likely to me, as if they are true it would be tampering. TT is not allowed to speak with Manuel or his agent until he officially becomes a free agent.

I hope the denial is true... I will follow this post with my reasons.

Marquand Manuel's agent denies deal with Packers
By José Miguel Romero

A report that Seahawks free safety Marquand Manuel is expected to sign with the Green Bay Packers when the NFL free-agency period starts is false, Manuel's agent said Tuesday.

The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, citing sources close to the situation, reported Tuesday that Manuel was prepared to sign with the Packers soon after he becomes a free agent. The Journal Sentinel reported the agreement is for five years and $10 million, including a $2 million signing bonus.

"The report is not true," Manuel's agent, Neil Schwartz, said. "It's tampering. We'll go to free agency and keep open the lines of communication."

Free agency — delayed twice while the union and NFL negotiate a new collective-bargaining agreement — is set to begin at 9:01 p.m. Wednesday.

If the Packers and Manuel have discussed a contract, the league could charge Green Bay with tampering because teams can't talk to players from other teams until their contracts expire or they are released.

The Seahawks had not been notified of the Packers' reported deal for Manuel and wouldn't comment. Team president Tim Ruskell and CEO Tod Leiweke were in Dallas on Tuesday representing Seahawks owner Paul Allen at the league meeting to discuss the union's proposal for a new CBA.

Seahawks coach Mike Holmgren has said he would like to re-sign Manuel, and Ruskell said Monday that he would like to keep the core of the team together.

Manuel would have to be considered part of that core. His on-field leadership was perhaps as important as his play in place of Ken Hamlin, the starting free safety who was lost to injury after the sixth game last season.

Manuel, who just completed his fourth NFL season, had 67 tackles in 2005. Claimed off waivers from the Cincinnati Bengals before the 2004 season, Manuel has started 10 of the 31 regular-season games he has played with the Seahawks, and he started all three postseason games last season.

"They've left open the door for Marquand Manuel to return," Schwartz said of Ruskell and lead contract negotiator Mike Reinfeldt. "They've been gracious."

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am neither a Ted Thompson lover, nor a Ted Thompson hater -- false dichotomous thinking like that gets us NO where. Very well said DePack.

I hope that the rumors were false.

Remember Mark Roman not only beat him out in Cincinnati – it resulted in Manuel being cut.

Here is what a former scout had to say about the possibility of the Packers acquiring him:

Marquand Manuel is way slower than Mark Roman
Marquand Manuel cannot be trusted in deep zone coverage or in man to man
Marquand has no quickness
Marquand has virtually no change of direction ability
Marquand is efficient only if the play is in front of him
Marquand has not produced turnovers in 4 seasons and averaged 4 passes defended per year has absolutely no ball skills

Here is what Marquand Manuel is:
A solid hitter – and an above average tackler but I am not sure he is better than Mark Roman He is strong
He is a LB in a safeties body

Hell, Todd Franz has more coverage skills than Manuel.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The fact that Roman beat him out a few years back is getting way more play than necessary as far as i'm concerned. There can be such a fine line between talent in this league and often very little difference between one guy that get's on the field and another that sits.

How far has each guy come since then. That's what matters. Roman may have had an edge then. Means nothing now.

It seems to me Roman has had the opportunity to really stand out and hasn't done so but when Manuel got his chance he performed great. If Seattle's staff speaks highly enough of him to say he is a "core" type player that is saying a lot. I sure don't put Roman in that catagory.

If a guy can step up and come in there and help a team get to the SB I'm sure not going to turn my nose up at him.

Members online

Latest posts