Packers get their Safety in Manuel?

ChuckSTG

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is starting to look like last off-season all over again. Another unproven backup brought in here again...Hopefully there are just adding depth with him (if they actaully do sign him). Need someone else with Collins.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
lmao. i love you guys!

Just like the ahman signing, this is already blown out of proportion! I LOVE IT~!

first of all..not only is that rumor(the money part) probably NOT TRUE (just like ahmans at first)..

BUT...

THIS IS ONLY RUMORED TO BE AN AGREEMENT! I agree to take my girlfriend to Mexico every year, but do I? No, but I take her *** to Pepes.

Let us PLEASE wait and see how this goes.

I know NOTHING about this safety, but if it does pan out 5 years, 10 mil for a guy who you guys say is no good...I will not be a happy man!

But please...lets wait and see first...cmon guys.

EDIT - his initials are MM. THATS WHY WE GOT HIM! LOL. (if we do sign him..which its still a rumor at this point, mind you...chillax)

JbShell

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
But what if we move him to LB? He has good speed for a LB, but could he learn a new position this late in his career?

Late in his career? He is 26 with 3years experience right? HE has not even hit his stride in the safety position yet. Maybe he has some upside yet. As far as ball skills that can be worked on. From what I undersstand he did great for the seahawks and after he went out the steelers score two TD's

Gotta be something there

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
from scout.scout.com:

2004: Didn't start last year in his first season with the Seahawks, but he did play in 15 games on special teams and as an extra defensive back on passing downs. Contributed 10 tackles (seven solo) to the defense.

Could have trouble making the squad in 2005 as the Hawks have signed several safety and corner prospects during free agency.

----------

This guy was gonna get beat out by rookies, and now hes (rumored to have gotten) 10 mil richer to play backup to roman probably?

I hope this isnt true....

but, ill take my own advice...and wait and see whats going on.

mrhustle11

Cheesehead
Reaction score
so if we sign manuel for 2 mil a year plus ahman for 2-3 that leaves us with around 14-15 mil left. you have to figure in money for signing our players from the draft. do we really have a lot of money left to sign a big time free agent, someone that can make a huge impact. i dont know things are looking good. i would like to know a little more about this manuel before i make my final judgement but if he runs a 4.63 it doesnt look good.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
well teams cant even sign till friday or wednesday...whenever the ownders get their heads out of their *****.

after reading the jsonline thing no him, im a little more sold on him...but not at that price! lets just wait and see.

He sounds like hes a gritty player, a good tackler(which roman..did not.) He is bigger than roman, and he sounds ok there. 40 time means nothing to me, especially to a safety. and as far as his ball coveerage skills, can he be worse than roman?

He sounds like a Mark Roman who can actually tackle.

AND he will help our special teams, which was horrible. Lets just hope its not 10 mil. Maybe its 10 mil, including incentives. IF his base salary is anything more than 4, I will flip out on you, kramer...Flip OUT.

Buckeyepackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Name........base..........signing bonus.......total cap
Roman......800,000........175,000.............975,000
Manual...2,000,000......2,000,000..........4,000,000

If this is true, and Sherman was an idiot to sign Roman, what does this make TT?
I really hope we save some money to go after any top notch O Guards that are released. After last years debacle it would seem to be the thing to do.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
if its 10 mil over 4 years...its not a big deal. he wont last 4 years in GB, I dont think.

lets just wait and see.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The kid was the starting safety for the better part of the season last year for the Seahawks...and by all accounts accorded himself well. He has been a career backup and, therefore, has not really had the opportunity to put up the stats so many of you appear to need.

How about these stats:

Drunken waste of a pick at the end of the bench. Rebels authority, is irresponsible and looked horrific in his one pro appearance: Brett Favre

Typical one-dimensional back, has been deemed unworthy of trust by the current staff, tends to drop the ball: Ahman Green

Fact is, we don't know much about this kid and, in today's world, $2 mil is right on for a key backup let alone a starter.

What we do know: He is a sure tackler, took responsibility and performed when thrust into action last year filling in for Ken Hamlin (no small task), he is young and should improve further with the attention afforded starters, and he hits hard but is not the best in coverage. Geez...sounds like Chuck Cecil...someone most love the **** outta.

Bottom line, Collins is our rangy, athletic coverage safety who also packs a whallup. Manuel is our thumper...the physical presence that smashes RBs without hesitation and makes WRs fear the middle...a solid player if his strengths are played to and complemented. Collins is a hell of a complement.

Man, relax a little bit.

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Some of you are not understanding how deals are structured and impact upon the CAP.

I am not nuts about signing Marquand Manuel -- after all Roman beat him out in Cinncinati. BTW I don't think there is a chance in hell of him being moved to LB.

In T.T.'s defense, I think Thompson likes his hitting ability and toughness and a stated goal of his is to make GB a tougher team. Further he has been a monster on special teams.

Then when you add in the bad blood between Schottenheimer and Roman -- I am still pissed about the hiring of Schottenheimer (the source of M.M. rebellion and the worst DB performance in GB history in 2004) -- the deal starts to add up. Roman was verbal about Schottenheimer's incompetence after Sherman fired him (not during his stay as is appropriate). Watch for Roman to be traded before the draft.

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Buckeyepackfan said:
Name........base..........signing bonus.......total cap
Roman......800,000........175,000.............975,000
Manual...2,000,000......2,000,000..........4,000,000

If this is true, and Sherman was an idiot to sign Roman, what does this make TT?
I really hope we save some money to go after any top notch O Guards that are released. After last years debacle it would seem to be the thing to do.

$10 million would be the total cost of the contract for 5 years, so it would not count $4 million against the cap this year.

It would be this way:
prorated signing bonus (over 5 years) = $500,000/year. Typical 1st year base salary is close to minimum. I don't know the minimum this year, so let's assume $700,000. That would make his cap number this year $1.2 million. It's very likely that this could be a backloaded where his highest base salary would be in the last couple of years making it easier to cut him if he doesn't pan out.

As for his value, that's yet to be determined obviously. His career to this point makes him appear to be a solid backup and this contact is way too high. One thing I like from the JSonline article though is that he's a good field general:
"You wouldn't say he's a great athlete," one scout said. "But he plays hard and he plays fast. His tempo's good. In the back end, he's the guy that gets everybody lined up. He's going to be a communicator."

We need a leader on defense to get everybody lined up. This will be a huge asset for our young CBs, and it's a good bet that TT will add more young CBs to the mix.

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He already is a "solid" safety, based on last year's performance...our hope is that he develops into an even better player.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
mrhustle11 said:
so if we sign manuel for 2 mil a year plus ahman for 2-3 that leaves us with around 14-15 mil left. you have to figure in money for signing our players from the draft. do we really have a lot of money left to sign a big time free agent, someone that can make a huge impact. i dont know things are looking good. i would like to know a little more about this manuel before i make my final judgement but if he runs a 4.63 it doesnt look good.

The salary cap guy that you can go to on this site that keeps a running total has us at $27mil after letting Digg's and Chatman go. So if Green and this safety costs $4mil we still have plenty to spend.

ChuckSTG

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From Profootballweekly.com on Manuel replacing Hamlin:
...Enter fourth-year pro Marquand Manuel, a favorite of the Seattle coaches who the team feels will do a decent job at free safety in Hamlin’s absence. Considered smart as a whip, Manuel did a nice job filling in for SS Michael Boulware a few weeks back after Boulware suffered a scary lower-back injury. Starting for Hamlin in Week Seven, Manuel recorded eight tackles in a win over Dallas.

And if this helps his 2002 draft profile (nfl.com):

ANALYSIS
Positives:
Has broad shoulders, a tight waist, high calves and thick muscle development … Solid character type who will not only do what he's told, but will do extra in practices and the weight room … Has good short-area quickness to defend in man coverage … Shows the range to close in a flash and the catch-up speed to recover when beaten … Makes a fair amount of tackles near the line, lowering his head to wrap and secure the ball carrier … Shows aggression behind his hits … Uses hands well to jam the receiver in press coverage … Seems to find a way to make the opposite-end-of-the-field plays … Has the field awareness to consistently maintain position on the ball.

Negatives:
While very effective vs. the run, he appears slow to digest the pass plays … Gets turned around too much by the receivers on deep routes … Late coming out of his backpedal … Generally will underplay the ball in zone coverage … Lacks the flexibility and leaping skills to consistently combat for the ball … Makes too many shoe-string tackles, displaying poor wrap-up ability … Frequently takes bad angles when attempting to break on the ball … Falls off the receiver quite a bit in deep coverage.

AGILITY TESTS
4.52 in the 40-yard dash … 35-inch vertical jump … Bench presses 225 pounds 18 times … 360-pound bench press … 275-pound power clean … 30 ¾-inch arm length … 10-inch hands. Also ran a 10.6 100m in HS.

A redshirt senior at strong safety, he ranked among the squad's most experienced defensive performers … Before the 2001 season, he had already received his undergraduate degree and is now enrolled in graduate school … Four-time SEC Academic Honor Roll selection (1998-2001) … Has 36 career starts at strong safety and two at outside linebacker … Played in 46 regular season games for 3,104 plays … Registered 308 career tackles (197 solos) with eight sacks for minus-40 yards and 12 stops for losses of 54 yards … Had three forced fumbles, 11 pass deflections and six intercerptions during his time with UF … Also a member of UF's nationally-ranked track and field team.

---This is what he was coming out of college, hopefully his coverage skills are better then what they stated here. But apparently is really smart (but so was Craig Krenzel)

BACKIN-PACKIN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with all of you who exercise patience before drawing predisposed conclusions. The guy isn't even in GB yet, much less signed, and he along with TT are already as solid as concrete in the minds of some. Even his one interception, according to the article, has been ignored. As for me, I'll wait and see. And if TT turns into another Sherman, I'll flame his *** TOO, if need be, but until then, I WILL JUST WAIT AND SEE!

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh, my, Backin-Packin....waiting for facts and evidence to make an informed decision...for shame...for shame!!

The funny thing is, some folks are under the terribly misguided belief that every position be filled with a player with Pro-Bowl credentials...and that every FA should be drooling at the prospect of playing in little, historic Green Bay.

There are few superstars on any team, but many solid contributors. At first glance, this kid looks like he can be a solid contributor...on the evidence that IS available.

Members online

Latest posts