Packers get awarded compensatory draft pick (7th round)

OP
OP
A
Reaction score
I definitely think this will help the Packers, TT's history (albeit minimal) has shown that he can get some fair value that late into the draft.

We ended up with Whitt, who became our starting RG in 05, and LB Kurt Campbell who recently got cut. He still maintained his place despite injury, so it shows the coaching staff were high on him and he had some ability.

Last year we got DE Dave Tollefson, who was similar to Aaron Kampman in terms of being a hard worker but not having the greatest physical attributes. He is with the Raiders, so other teams also think he has some potential.

Hopefully, we can pick up some guys like that. There are never enough Donald Driver type guys on a team.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
I definitely think this will help the Packers, TT's history (albeit minimal) has shown that he can get some fair value that late into the draft.

We ended up with Whitt, who became our starting RG in 05, and LB Kurt Campbell who recently got cut. He still maintained his place despite injury, so it shows the coaching staff were high on him and he had some ability.

Last year we got DE Dave Tollefson, who was similar to Aaron Kampman in terms of being a hard worker but not having the greatest physical attributes. He is with the Raiders, so other teams also think he has some potential.

Hopefully, we can pick up some guys like that. There are never enough Donald Driver type guys on a team.

Whitt was terrible and Campbell and Tollefson did nothing. I mean I guess its one more chance at hitting the lottery but most likely it will just be camp fodder.

gopackgo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wells was a 7th round pick two years ago and he is a starter for us now.

I don't think anyone expects star talent out of the 7th round, but when you do find one, it's huge. Every year there are a couple players who are solid (Colston). How can you complain about MORE draft picks? Nothing is a sure shot in a draft, some are just more sure than others.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pyledriver, you crack me up. :rotflmao:

Here's to the offseason! :packbeer:

Good answer. Is putting words in other people mouth contagious?

Anyways, maybe the Packers could get some O-Line depth with these later picks. I like Brent Pousson from McNeese State. He will go late but would be a nice fit.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There are enough 7th round successes that this cannot be bad news especially when a compensatory pick was unexpected.

Higher quality camp fodder is better than lower quality camp fodder.

flapackfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dont know about you but i really really hope that we are at a point where we are not grooming 7th rounders to be contributors to this team. yea every once in a while you get a marcus colston. But for every one of them, there are 100 7th rounders that wont make your roster. Colston was one of if not the best producing first year 7th round producer in a long time in this league. It just doesnt happen.

Best we should hope for is a guy who can make the practice squad and help prepare our starters and backups.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Remember guys...a guy by the name of Marques Colston was a 7th rounder...

so was Mark Tauscher, Donald Driver, Scott Wells, Adam Timmerman

lot of good players can be found in the 7th round

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
It isn't a bad thing to have another 7th round pick at all, but go back and look throught the last five years, I would say 90% of 7th round picks are not on rosters anymore. For every Tulley Banta-Cane there are 10 picks that are playing in the CFL or the AFL.

Not being a negative stick in the mud, but it isn't probable that we will strike it rich in the 7th. Albeit with 2 7th round picks that we can trade, it gives us some moving power in the early second day selections. The comp pick can't be trade:(

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is where you find a player that may even come from a smaller school that no one really projected to make it that surprises everybody.

Dallas was always great at finding little known players in later rounds that most people never heard of that went on to good careers.

This could be where we find that "0" lineman that most teams pass on but has what it takes in the zone system.

celticraider

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, granted it isn't an often occurrence, but here are some Oakland Raiders 7th round draft picks to get your hopes up a bit :thumbsup:

George Atkinson (Raider legend)
Bo Jackson (Bo knows 7th round picks)
Greg Biekert (Leader of our defense for many many years)
Ronald Curry (one of the leagues most underrated WR)
Courtney Anderson (he isn't great, but he is our starting TE)

PackerTraxx

Cheesehead
Reaction score
wils0646 said:
Remember guys...a guy by the name of Marques Colston was a 7th rounder...

so was Mark Tauscher, Donald Driver, Scott Wells, Adam Timmerman

lot of good players can be found in the 7th round

Obviously a 7th round is not as valuable as a 1st. But as seen above you can get Pro Bowl players in the 7th round. Yes, it is somewhat a game of numbers, thus having 3 picks is better than 1 or none, it's as simple as that. :cross:

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wouldn't put much stock into an extra 7th rounder. It gives the Packers more options which they need. If Green Bay can land a guy who can be a good backup then the pick would of been an okay pick in my opinion. This team is pretty much going to find it's new starters on the 1st Day. Day 2 is going to be looking for depth.

Members online

Latest posts