Packers get another fourth-round pick

IronMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://www.packersnews.com/includes/newspaper/blogs/insider/index.shtml

PALM BEACH, Fla. -- The Packers were awarded one compensatory draft pick -- a fourth-round choice -- in next month's draft.

It will be the 37th pick in the round and No. 135 overall.

The league awarded 32 compensatory picks in all. Baltimore and Cincinnati each received four. The highest compensatory pick went to Washington (a third rounder, No. 96 overall).

Compensatory picks are awarded based on a system that calculates what a team loses in free agency offset by what a team gains in free agency in a given year. The Packers got their fourth-round pick based on losing Ahman Green and David Martin and signing only Frank Walker.

-- Rob Demovsky, [email protected]

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That means 8 picks, right?

I guessed in my draft thread awhile back that we'd end up with 8 and that TT may make a move for one more. So we'll see. I have a feeling though that TT won't make a move for one more now that we have this compensation pick.

millertime

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We could trade that 4th rounder for Randy Moss....

Too soon???

Actually this is great news. Great players fall the fourth round.

I think the Pack should use this fourth to move up into the top of the third round to grab one of the stud RB's that is likely to fall.

Reaction score
That's sweet, I was expecting to get a 6th rounder, 5th at best.

Lately, the Packers have been able to pick up pretty good talent in the fourth:

2000: Na'il Diggs (pick # 98)
2002: ****** Davenport (pick # 135)
2005: Brady Poppinga (pick # 125)
2006: Will Blackmon (pick # 115)
2007: Alan Barbre (pick # 119)

It'll be interesting to see if Ted feels the need to trade down, or might actually trade up to get certain player(s).

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
OMG
an extra 4th round pick for Ted?
That's like giving Rambo access to a nuke!!

I always wanted one of those compound bows, and the arrow with the exploding tip on it, like Rambo had. I would tore some **** up, fella!

steveGB

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't really understand the compensatory picks. How come some teams get them and not all?

Did we lose something or someone?

Bertram

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We have 9 picks alltogether now right? The 2nd rounder we got for Corey and now this 4th...

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't really understand the compensatory picks. How come some teams get them and not all?

Did we lose something or someone?

the decisions for compensatory picks were based on what we lost/gained last year. It says we lost Ahman Green and David Martin and signed only Frank Walker. under the CBA, i guess that's good for a fourth round pick.

djcubez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm surprised the rest of the teams in the league haven't had an uproar over this yet. I mean Ted Thompson with another pick? That's fuel for anyone's fire!

Veretax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wonder if Ted Decides to trade up in the 1st or 2nd Now that he has that extra pick.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wonder if Ted Decides to trade up in the 1st or 2nd Now that he has that extra pick.

My guess is he'll keep 8. Reason is he wants depth. Remember the Sherman years when one key starter went down and the whole season was hosed? Don't want a repeat of that.

Of course, I'm only guessing. I don't know TT personally.

Veretax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Veretax said:

My guess is he'll keep 8. Reason is he wants depth. Remember the Sherman years when one key starter went down and the whole season was hosed? Don't want a repeat of that.

Of course, I'm only guessing. I don't know TT personally.

I'd assume of course (I know big mistake assuming) that if the Packers did trade up early it would be because they targeted a particular impact player that they feel they need. The question is who would it be and what position?

Probably not a QB, we are set with Rodgers right now.

WR? Doubt it.

DT or DE? Possibly, but they'd have to trade pretty high to get a solid DT that's for sure.

CB? Too deep really.

RB? Probably not

TE? Doubtful

OL? Only if they feel theres a particular guy they have to have, not sure ther eis.

So I hate to say it while they could trade up, I have no idea who they would target if they did.

mkapp

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This in NFL.com Pat Kirwans News and Notes today:

I got a chance to talk with Ted Thompson, GM of the Packers, twice Monday before he headed out to USC for their pro day. Thompson has already spent two and a half days at USC watching practice and tapes and wants another look at the players. He is such a thorough evaluator and his roster demonstrates the hard work. My question to him was, "Who replaces Aaron Rodgers as the backup?" He smiled and said that is the question because the starter is established with Rodgers. I would think USC QB John David Booty will really benefit from a great workout this week.

Latest posts