Packers' fumbling frustrates coaches

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
By Dylan B. Tomlinson
Gannett Wisconsin Newspapers

Edgar Bennett found out the hard way just how important ball security is in the NFL.

Bennett was a rookie with the Green Bay Packers in 1992 when he was lost a fumble against the Detroit Lions. The Packers won the game, but then-coach Mike Holmgren decided to teach Bennett a lesson by sitting him down for a few games.

"It was just one of those situations during my rookie year when they taught me the importance of hanging on to the football, by sitting me down for awhile," Bennett said. "He drove his point home and I got the message."

After learning the lesson, Bennett went on a four-year stretch when he didn't lose another fumble for 63 games, a span 726 carries.

As Bennett tells the story, he laughs and shakes his head. If anybody knows how to hold on to a football, it's Bennett. But after running backs Noah Herron and Ahman Green fumbled away the ball in Sunday's win over the Lions, it's easy to wonder if the Packers are getting the message.

"Those are two critical plays in the game that could have really factored in the football game," Packers coach Mike McCarthy said.

"Edgar Bennett does a good job with his individuals. He stresses it every day, and we just have to keep emphasizing. That's our job, teaching and demand. We need to get it corrected."

During their loss to the New Orleans Saints on Sept. 17, Green had a fumble late in the game that led to a Saints touchdown. His fumble Sunday didn't prove as costly, but the Packers' coaches were adamant that the fumbling has to stop.

"He was loose with the football. That's the only time that thing comes out. You've got to hold it tight to your body," offensive coordinator Jeff Jagodzinski said as he grabbed a reporter's arm to demonstrate.

"There's four points of pressure: palm, forearm, biceps and chest. That's how you carry the football."

The most frustrating aspect of the fumbling for the coaching staff is ball security is emphasized in every practice.

Running backs typically practice with satin-covered footballs that are difficult to hang on to. They also run a drill in which several footballs are tied together and each running back tries to pull the ball away from his teammates.

"We've got a number of different drills, and we're constantly trying to improve on every aspect of that," Bennett said. "They understand the technique they're supposed to use, and we'll continue to make it a point of emphasis in practice."

Green has fumbled the ball away twice this season, and Herron also has struggled, fumbling away a kickoff against the Saints as well as one against the Lions.

Herron said the running backs are going to try to do what they can to remedy the fumbling problem.

"It's the most important thing we do," Herron said. "You just have to hang on to the football."

Jagodzinski said he'll have no problem benching a player if the fumbling continues.

"It's going to get to the point where if you fumble, you're out," Jagodzinski said. "Put someone else in there. It doesn't matter. You can't put the ball on the ground like that. Period."

Green has been dogged by fumbling throughout his career. Jagodzinski seemed stumped by how a running back can be so effective yet can't hang on to the ball.

"I don't know why he does it," Jagodzinski said. "It's been addressed with him today, but it's something that has to be emphasized over and over and over again."

majikman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"Running backs typically practice with satin-covered footballs.."

What...are they gay?

What's next..

silk goal posts?

scharles

Cheesehead
Reaction score
majikman said:

What...are they gay?

What's next..

silk goal posts?

It's just a cover that goes over the ball, our coaches used them in hs. They seemed to work, definately makes you emphasize your hold on the ball.

Cdnfavrefan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think it's just the coaches getting frustrated. If Ahman fumbles in the 4th Q again I'll personally come down there and kick his ***. At least last time he could cure it by taking those forearm pads off but what's the cure this time?

majikman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
scharles said:
majikman said:

What...are they gay?

What's next..

silk goal posts?

It's just a cover that goes over the ball, our coaches used them in hs. They seemed to work, definately makes you emphasize your hold on the ball.

Weird.

Our coach used to use to use those old oversized college balls from the 70's...remember them?

He'd keep them in the freezer overnight. Nice and slippy..

If you fumbled those you had to run laps or sprints or bleachers or have to shed/block the whole football team that lined up against you and beat the crap out of you...

nice...you didn't do it twice!

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ahman shouldn't even be in the game in the fourth quarter if it's close. He has lost the right to be a player when the game is on the line.

umair

Cheesehead
Reaction score
he has to stop putting the ball on the ground. we might have been 2-1!!!!!

if he costs us another game i say bench him.

PackFanInSC

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
"There's four points of pressure: palm, forearm, biceps and chest. That's how you carry the football."

From an article Nov 23, 2005 on Packers.com

Gado Focuses On Improving Ball Protection

As part of their ball protection philosophy, the Packers emphasize the football should touch three points of contact. They coach their players to form a peace sign with two fingers on the tip of the ball. Running backs rest the ball on the second point of contact -- the forearm. For the third point of contact, the non-exposed side of the ball should touch the rib cage below the shoulder pads.

"With those three points of contact, you should have the ability to maintain ball possession for three to five seconds after first contact," fullback William Henderson said.

Is this, in effect, saying the same thing or are we changing how the backs are supposed to carry the ball?

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PackFanInSC said:
Zero2Cool said:
^^ Isn't that from two different coaching staffs?

Bennett was the RB coach on both, wasn't he?

The fundamentals should be the same.

Yep. Green's a fumbler. It won't change with coaching pressure points. Green just has to be more aware and cautious.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:
PackFanInSC said:
Zero2Cool said:

Yep. Green's a fumbler. It won't change with coaching pressure points. Green just has to be more aware and cautious.

Agreed. He starts letting that elbow fly and we often see someone come in from the side or behind and knock it loose. Forget the pressure point crap. With less than a minute in the game wrap two arms around that sucker and fall on the ground inbounds. GEEZ.

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
PackFanInSC said:
Zero2Cool said:

He could have been. But the OC tells him how to coach the RB's. IF the OC or HC says teach three point ... he teaches three point, if the OC or HC says teach four point ... he teaches four point.

Edgar not being a fumbler I'm sure would have his own input that would be trusted on the issue though.

PackFanInSC

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
PackFanInSC said:
Zero2Cool said:

He could have been. But the OC tells him how to coach the RB's. IF the OC or HC says teach three point ... he teaches three point, if the OC or HC says teach four point ... he teaches four point.

Edgar not being a fumbler I'm sure would have his own input that would be trusted on the issue though.

Edgar WAS a fumbler -- in the beginning. After he fumbled as a rookie, Holmgren benched him for several games until he learned to hold onto the ball. (I do not remember, but he may have been the one that had to carry the ball around with him all the time -- or that may have been Bill Schroeder).

calicheesehead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We have had so much discussion in this area. As much as I hate to see anyone turn it over, I feel for Ahman. He plays as hard as he can to make the team better. When you see him fumble it's generally due to his second or third effort in trying to get the extra yardage. Rarely does he fumble from the first hit. Also as stated by others, as the season gets going, he fumbles less. You kind of have to put up with it at first. I can honestly say that he wins more game for us than loses. We are due to draft a decent RB come the next draft though.

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
PackFanInSC said:
Zero2Cool said:
PackFanInSC said:
Zero2Cool said:

Edgar WAS a fumbler -- in the beginning. After he fumbled as a rookie, Holmgren benched him for several games until he learned to hold onto the ball. (I do not remember, but he may have been the one that had to carry the ball around with him all the time -- or that may have been Bill Schroeder).

No, Edgar coughed it up, Holmgren benched his *** to make a point, the point was taken and Edgar went I think four years or 61 games without a fumble.

He did NOT have a history of fumbling because it was corrected in ROOKIE year.

PackFanInSC

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
PackFanInSC said:
Zero2Cool said:
PackFanInSC said:
Zero2Cool said:

No, Edgar coughed it up, Holmgren benched his *** to make a point, the point was taken and Edgar went I think four years or 61 games without a fumble.

Zero,

Isn't that what I said?

According to databasefootball.com , Bennett fumbled twice in his rookie year (1992) out of 74 touches, 0 times in 1993 out of 218 touches, once in 1994 out of 256 touches, twice in 1995 out of 377 touches and twice in 1996 out of 253 touches.

So 7 drops out of 1178 touches -- compared to the 52 times that Brett put it on the ground (in considerably more touches) in that same period.

What I said was that he was a fumbler -- in the beginning. And benched until he could hold onto the ball.

OP
OP
Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
PackFanInSC said:
Zero2Cool said:
PackFanInSC said:
Zero2Cool said:
PackFanInSC said:
[quote="Zero2Cool":2vntw4sz]^^ Isn't that from two different coaching staffs?

Zero,

Isn't that what I said?

According to databasefootball.com , Bennett fumbled twice in his rookie year (1992) out of 74 touches, 0 times in 1993 out of 218 touches, once in 1994 out of 256 touches, twice in 1995 out of 377 touches and twice in 1996 out of 253 touches.

So 7 drops out of 1178 touches -- compared to the 52 times that Brett put it on the ground (in considerably more touches) in that same period.

What I said was that he was a fumbler -- in the beginning. And benched until he could hold onto the ball.[/quote:2vntw4sz]

I dunno, I read "Edgar WAS a fumbler" and since I was on break during class I commented on that :) ... The line to me implied that Edgar had a fumbling problem. He didn't have one. He didn't even play a full season so no motto could have been achieved.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's not blamed Edgar for Green's fumbling problems. The reason why Green is a Packer now is because Holmgrem in Seattle didn't like the fact he fumbled to much.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts