1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Packers' fumbling frustrates coaches

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by Zero2Cool, Sep 27, 2006.

1. Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool I own a website

Ratings:
    +8

2. majikman

majikman Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    "Running backs typically practice with satin-covered footballs.."

What...are they gay?

What's next..

silk goal posts?

3. scharles

scharles Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    It's just a cover that goes over the ball, our coaches used them in hs. They seemed to work, definately makes you emphasize your hold on the ball.

4. Cdnfavrefan

Cdnfavrefan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I don't think it's just the coaches getting frustrated. If Ahman fumbles in the 4th Q again I'll personally come down there and kick his ***. At least last time he could cure it by taking those forearm pads off but what's the cure this time?

5. majikman

majikman Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Weird.

Our coach used to use to use those old oversized college balls from the 70's...remember them?

He'd keep them in the freezer overnight. Nice and slippy..

If you fumbled those you had to run laps or sprints or bleachers or have to shed/block the whole football team that lined up against you and beat the crap out of you...

nice...you didn't do it twice!

6. packedhouse01

packedhouse01 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    Ahman shouldn't even be in the game in the fourth quarter if it's close. He has lost the right to be a player when the game is on the line.

7. umair

umair Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    he has to stop putting the ball on the ground. we might have been 2-1!!!!!

if he costs us another game i say bench him.

8. PackFanInSC

PackFanInSC Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    From an article Nov 23, 2005 on Packers.com

Gado Focuses On Improving Ball Protection

As part of their ball protection philosophy, the Packers emphasize the football should touch three points of contact. They coach their players to form a peace sign with two fingers on the tip of the ball. Running backs rest the ball on the second point of contact -- the forearm. For the third point of contact, the non-exposed side of the ball should touch the rib cage below the shoulder pads.

"With those three points of contact, you should have the ability to maintain ball possession for three to five seconds after first contact," fullback William Henderson said.

Is this, in effect, saying the same thing or are we changing how the backs are supposed to carry the ball?

9. Zero2Cool

Ratings:
    +8
    ^^ Isn't that from two different coaching staffs?

10. PackFanInSC

PackFanInSC Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Bennett was the RB coach on both, wasn't he?

The fundamentals should be the same.

11. pyledriver80

pyledriver80 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0

Yep. Green's a fumbler. It won't change with coaching pressure points. Green just has to be more aware and cautious.

12. warhawk

warhawk Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +38
    Agreed. He starts letting that elbow fly and we often see someone come in from the side or behind and knock it loose. Forget the pressure point crap. With less than a minute in the game wrap two arms around that sucker and fall on the ground inbounds. GEEZ.

13. Zero2Cool

Ratings:
    +8
    He could have been. But the OC tells him how to coach the RB's. IF the OC or HC says teach three point ... he teaches three point, if the OC or HC says teach four point ... he teaches four point.

Edgar not being a fumbler I'm sure would have his own input that would be trusted on the issue though.

14. PackFanInSC

PackFanInSC Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0

Edgar WAS a fumbler -- in the beginning. After he fumbled as a rookie, Holmgren benched him for several games until he learned to hold onto the ball. (I do not remember, but he may have been the one that had to carry the ball around with him all the time -- or that may have been Bill Schroeder).

15. calicheesehead

calicheesehead Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    We have had so much discussion in this area. As much as I hate to see anyone turn it over, I feel for Ahman. He plays as hard as he can to make the team better. When you see him fumble it's generally due to his second or third effort in trying to get the extra yardage. Rarely does he fumble from the first hit. Also as stated by others, as the season gets going, he fumbles less. You kind of have to put up with it at first. I can honestly say that he wins more game for us than loses. We are due to draft a decent RB come the next draft though.

16. Zero2Cool

Ratings:
    +8
    No, Edgar coughed it up, Holmgren benched his *** to make a point, the point was taken and Edgar went I think four years or 61 games without a fumble.

He did NOT have a history of fumbling because it was corrected in ROOKIE year.

17. PackFanInSC

PackFanInSC Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0

Zero,

Isn't that what I said?

According to databasefootball.com , Bennett fumbled twice in his rookie year (1992) out of 74 touches, 0 times in 1993 out of 218 touches, once in 1994 out of 256 touches, twice in 1995 out of 377 touches and twice in 1996 out of 253 touches.

So 7 drops out of 1178 touches -- compared to the 52 times that Brett put it on the ground (in considerably more touches) in that same period.

What I said was that he was a fumbler -- in the beginning. And benched until he could hold onto the ball.

18. kmac

kmac Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I say we just draft Mike Hart out of Michigan. That'll solve the problem :lol:

19. Zero2Cool

Ratings:
    +8

Zero,

Isn't that what I said?

According to databasefootball.com , Bennett fumbled twice in his rookie year (1992) out of 74 touches, 0 times in 1993 out of 218 touches, once in 1994 out of 256 touches, twice in 1995 out of 377 touches and twice in 1996 out of 253 touches.

So 7 drops out of 1178 touches -- compared to the 52 times that Brett put it on the ground (in considerably more touches) in that same period.

What I said was that he was a fumbler -- in the beginning. And benched until he could hold onto the ball.[/quote:2vntw4sz]

I dunno, I read "Edgar WAS a fumbler" and since I was on break during class I commented on that :) ... The line to me implied that Edgar had a fumbling problem. He didn't have one. He didn't even play a full season so no motto could have been achieved.

20. porky88

porky88 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Let's not blamed Edgar for Green's fumbling problems. The reason why Green is a Packer now is because Holmgrem in Seattle didn't like the fact he fumbled to much.