Packers free agent rumors?

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Do you think the Bears overpaid Trevathan at 4 years 28mil? I don't think so.

If I was a Bear fan I would be ecstatic, but might say "we will know better by the end of next season if it was a good deal". My biggest question would be did Trevathan look good because of all the talent around him. Denver's D-line and other 3 LB's are pretty darn good.

Now, as a Packer fan, my hope is that the Bears WAY overpaid him. :D

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If by "stop caring", you mean wonder how a team with the league's best QB can go almost 6 years since winning a SB and still stick to the same ol', same ol' year in and out, then sure, not one fan is complaining at all.

How many playoff exits have happened due to the last play? Yeah pretty sure TT is doing his job.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Do you think the Bears overpaid Trevathan at 4 years 28mil? I don't think so.

I just read an update on his contract: "LB Danny Trevathan’s deal with Bears totals $24.5M over four years and includes $12M guaranteed."

Would love to know if TT was even in the conversation with him.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Anyone expecting Thompson to sign a player the first day of free agency hasn't been paying attention for the last decade. Funny how predictable some of the posts are.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Anyone expecting Thompson to sign a player the first day of free agency hasn't been paying attention for the last decade. Funny how predictable some of the posts are.

Almost think TT's public appearance at the Badgers Pro Day was somewhat of a statement of "Really, you expect me to be at some table with phones on day 1 of Free Agency?" I get it, its how he works and after seeing some of the money tossed out today, maybe his day in Madison will have been better spent.

http://sconniesportstalk.com/2016/03/09/wisconsin-pro-day-analysis/

Erickson, Schobert and McEvoy are 3 Badgers I am keeping my eye on. Watt too, but only because of JJ, doubt the Packers need another FB.

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That doesn't seem like a bad deal. Possibly the only one from today that wasn't.

Some of them today were completely insane.
That Ladarius green signing was also a solid deal. Those were the two guys I wanted most, and they both went for prices lower than I expected

Jerellh528

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I agree, but I just don't like the idea of "well that's who he is, so let's just forget about it, it's just Ted bein Ted"
I think if he came across a deal he liked and thought it would improve the team, he'd do it regardless of what day of free agency it was, or at least I'd really hope so. If he's not signing free agents just because, then I would think we need a change of gm if Ted isn't doing everything in his power to make the team better due to a personal preference of his...
Also probably would've been less frustration from people if the head coach of the team didn't troll us by saying we might be shocked in free agency this year...there's still time though of course, I'd really welcome a Demario Davis signing

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Almost think TT's public appearance at the Badgers Pro Day was somewhat of a statement of "Really, you expect me to be at some table with phones on day 1 of Free Agency?" I get it, its how he works and after seeing some of the money tossed out today, maybe his day in Madison will have been better spent.

http://sconniesportstalk.com/2016/03/09/wisconsin-pro-day-analysis/

Erickson, Schobert and McEvoy are 3 Badgers I am keeping my eye on. Watt too, but only because of JJ, doubt the Packers need another FB.

Ted doesn't need to be at the office..

He has people negotiating with agents..

Andrew Brandt once worked a deal with a player while he was at his daughters bday party.

andeftw

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I won't complain about Ted, the teams' winning percentage since he took over is probably top 5 in the league.

At the same time, it's disappointing to see quality FAs being signed for reasonable deals and us not being in the conversation. Ladarius Green at 5M/yr and Danny Trevathan at 6M/yr would have made a ton of sense. It's a two way street though, maybe we were negotiating with them and they preferred other teams.

D

Deleted member 6794

Lets play John Madden and just sign everyone and anyone. Maybe this will make the crybabies happy.

I think some Packer fans here are honestly Johnny Come Lately bandwagoners that we picked up from other teams. So here is a history lesson for you noobies: The Packers have NEVER been aggressive in FA. Ever. This pre-dates TT so get off that mans jock strap. Ron Wolf was the same exact way. But rest assured, when we DO sign a FA, you can be almost certain that we get our money worth from them.

Wolf was way more aggressive in free agency than Thompson.

We still need to re-sign our own guys. I'd like to see Perry back and possibly Raji and Starks. Starting next week is where TT will make hay in FA with bargain guys like Tahir Whitehead (ILB) and TE's like Owen Daniels, Gary Barnidge or Zach Miller and possibly someone like Clay Harbor or James Hanna. Marcedes Lewis is also available. This is what you call smart spending. Then from there, we draft.

Barnidge re-signed with the Browns this offseason and Lewis agreed to a deal to stay with the Jaguars yesterday.

Seeing the money flying out of team wallets today makes me appreciate TT even more. Did anyone seriously want us to pay a bloated salary for one of these guys. A reasonable contract, sure...but there are no reasonable contracts on the first day of FA.

Ladarius Green´s deal looks like a moderate contract. Thompson nearly spent as much money on re-signing a mediocre kicker.

there's still time though of course, I'd really welcome a Demario Davis signing

I´ve seen Davis´ name being brought up multiple times by different posters. I would be absolutely devastated if Thompson addresses the inside linebacker position with him as he was terrible last season.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Green's contract looks to be ok, not outlandish. I wonder though, why SD let him go given their situation. Gates didn't get a huge deal and it's only 2 years. Green didn't sign a blockbuster elsewhere, why wouldn't you pay a young ascending player with supposedly a lot of good years ahead of him? He was an interesting prospect though.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wolf was way more aggressive in free agency than Thompson

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/packsid16-5n8q0r5-191497901.html

Ron Wolf - Signed 25 total Free Agents.
Ted Thompson - Signed 15 total Free Agents.

Keep in mind, that article only runs through 2013. So Thompson's number is like 16 or 17? Its higher than the 15 it shows, for sure.

So if you say way more aggressive, in what manner do you mean?

In that same time frame, you'll find other teams and GM's who have probably signed over 100 FA's or more, LOL.

Reaction score
Absolutely ridiculous the green signing. That should have been us. I'm with the draft and develop strategy but you have to make your splashes and I don't want to spend 17 m a year on Vernon but to pay 5m a year for an up and coming young player that should be a no brainer I think that is a bargain compared to what fleener and Allen got I think green is the best one I thought he would be asking 10 after those guys numbers.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Must admit, was surprised at the low number of Green's contract. But... we don't know the story of why he chose to go there and let's be honest, I think most of us only know about him that he's fast and tall and had one good game against us.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Green at that contract would have been solid for sure. Trevathan seemed destined for the bears all of fa. Familiarity with fox. I wonder if he even looked anywhere else. Sometimes guys want to go with a coach. So I would say we seemed to miss on green but probably never had much of a chance with trev

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I hope after TT retires he sits down and writes a book that includes a detailed history of some of his decisions concerning draft picks and FA signings. I am not saying this to be critical of Ted at all, actually I think it would be a fascinating read to see how some of these things unfolded. For instance this year, was he even in negotiations for Forte or Green? If he was, were either interested in Green Bay? At what point did he lose them? We usually only hear rumors and speculations and never get the straight scoop from TT, which leads people to draw their own conclusions.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So many folks see a guy sign with another team and assume that Thompson didn't even try. Sometimes guys have their preferences of where to play, who to play for, the system to play in, etc. The same pile of money isn't going to bring that player here.

D

Deleted member 6794

Keep in mind, that article only runs through 2013. So Thompson's number is like 16 or 17? Its higher than the 15 it shows, for sure.

In that same time frame, you'll find other teams and GM's who have probably signed over 100 FA's or more, LOL.

I´m not sure the list of Wolf´s signings is complete. In addition he only had eight years to bring in unrestricted free agents while Thompson is in his 12th season with the team.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score

and it needs to be noted that Wolf was able to be more aggressive because of the rules at the time. He's admitted many times, the main reason he got out when he did was because he couldn't look at a guy and say, I need/want him, he had to go down and talk to the cap man and ask, "can we afford him"

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I´m not sure the list of Wolf´s signings is complete. In addition he only had eight years to bring in unrestricted free agents while Thompson is in his 12th season with the team.

If its not 100% complete, I bet its close. But either way, both are chicken scraps compared to other teams and GM's during that same time frame.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So, I just realized that our whole offensive line are up for new contracts next year. We need to be smart here.

Why do you think Lane Taylor got a new deal with $31,500 per game roster bonus for 2017? Ted is well aware of the contracts ahead of him. Personally I don't think it's out of the question that we'll have a 2017 Week 1 starting O-Line of Bahk/Tretter/Linsley/Taylor/Bulaga.

D

Deleted member 6794

So, I just realized that our whole offensive line are up for new contracts next year. We need to be smart here.

Well, Linsley is signed through the 2017 season and Bulaga will be a free agent in 2020. The Packers will have some tough decisions to make on the offensive line next offseason though.

Members online

Latest posts