Packers free agent rumors?

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
How did TT spend his first day of FA? He went to Wisconsin's Pro Day. He couldn't have let the scouts do that while he was in the War Room with MM and staff trying to chase down some leads?
He was at pro day today because Green Bay is a draft first team. Wisconsin picked the day, not TT. He had a few days of "legal tampering" (Lord I hate that phrase) to talk to agents. You know Madison does have cell phone capability correct? They also have more than TT to answer the phones in Green Bay.

Wynnebeck

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He was at pro day today because Green Bay is a draft first team. Wisconsin picked the day, not TT. He had a few days of "legal tampering" (Lord I hate that phrase) to talk to agents. You know Madison does have cell phone capability correct? They also have more than TT to answer the phones in Green Bay.

I understand why he was there quite clearly. Doesn't change the fact that the man obviously is stuck in his own ways and will go down with the ship as long as it saves money (a good thing) and keeps the Packers going to the playoffs (never mind if it actually results in a Super Bowl). I can't wait to see the actual deal Forte got, because if it was something completely manageable and TT didn't go for it, it's going to a riot in Packerland.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
...I can't wait to see the actual deal Forte got, because if it was something completely manageable and TT didn't go for it, it's going to a riot in Packerland.
I'm sure most fans consideration of completely manageable and TT's version are not the same.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I understand why he was there quite clearly. Doesn't change the fact that the man obviously is stuck in his own ways and will go down with the ship as long as it saves money (a good thing) and keeps the Packers going to the playoffs (never mind if it actually results in a Super Bowl). I can't wait to see the actual deal Forte got, because if it was something completely manageable and TT didn't go for it, it's going to a riot in Packerland.

If by "riot in Packerland" you mean a few fans will be slightly disgruntled for like an hour and then stop caring, then yes, massive riot.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It won't be, it will be an overpriced contract like every contract for a "name" player on the first day. Make no mistake, most players will take more money with less of a chance at a title than less money with more of a chance at a title. It is just the way it works.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
If by "riot in Packerland" you mean a few fans will be slightly disgruntled for like an hour and then stop caring, then yes, massive riot.
Fairly certain we are going to be deluged by long time members whose names I won't recognize because they only remember to post to complain. Then they'll be gone until draft time when TT doesn't pick their surefire HOF draftee.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Except it has resulted in a Superbowl, a win even, and a real legitimate shot in at least 2 other years. But regardless, nobody is going to riot because we didn't get Forte.

Wynnebeck

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm sure most fans consideration of completely manageable and TT's version are not the same.

Yeah. I forgot TT only signs FA if they accept the standard deal of a paper clip and a piece of string. :rolleyes:

If by "stop caring", you mean wonder how a team with the league's best QB can go almost 6 years since winning a SB and still stick to the same ol', same ol' year in and out, then sure, not one fan is complaining at all.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ugh, how have i managed to survive these 6 grueling years since our last lombardi. we should all be given purple hearts.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lets play John Madden and just sign everyone and anyone. Maybe this will make the crybabies happy.

I think some Packer fans here are honestly Johnny Come Lately bandwagoners that we picked up from other teams. So here is a history lesson for you noobies: The Packers have NEVER been aggressive in FA. Ever. This pre-dates TT so get off that mans jock strap. Ron Wolf was the same exact way. But rest assured, when we DO sign a FA, you can be almost certain that we get our money worth from them.

Wynnebeck

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Your next post should be your Names and cap numbers for the guys we NEED to sign

lol What would be the point of this exercise (as this is not the first time I've seen you use this as some "garlic" to ward off anyone speaking negative about TT)? Me making a list of who I would like to see signed isn't going to affect TT how his mind works. You know what's going to happen? TT is going to resign a good bunch of players who went FA today. Then in about 2-4 weeks, he's going to go after low level FA players who won't affect the comp pick formula, and then get ready to go balls to the wall in the draft. Maybe we'll go to the Super Bowl this year, maybe we won't even make it to the playoffs. C'est la vie. What I feel is that TT only said what he said about FA this year to placate the fanbase who want to see a player who could be a potential game changer. He was probably never going to actually do anything in FA unless the odds stacked ridiculously high in his favor. He's going to pass FA for the draft. Just like he did the last few years. If you're content with making it to the playoffs every year with no chip at the end, then have at it. I would like to see every avenue explored to wins championships, not shun one road because that's not "how we do things around here". I digress though.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
blah, blah, blah, blah

Translation: I have no idea who or how much they should cost, we should just get them, and if we can't, I"m going to *****.

Wynnebeck

Cheesehead
Reaction score
blah, blah, blah, blah

Translation: I have no idea who or how much they should cost, we should just get them, and if we can't, I"m going to *****.

lol Quite the diplomatic way of trying to prove a point sir. Let the record stand that I've never once seen you do the exact thing you are requesting of others, yet you are the first one to trot it out every time someone says anything negative. In any case, I'm done with this exchange.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You think I was trying diplomacy? Want my list? There isn't one. I don't think we need to sign anybody today. They're too expensive and offer too little in value to this team. I'm not here *****ing because we haven't signed anybody yet. People can talk negative all they want, it's when they offer zilch in the substance catagory it gets annoying.

I'll be the first to trot it out again. You wanna *****, lets see your list. at least one freaking guy and one damn salary, just try it. But of course it's easier to ***** and not have any accountability at all and in a year you can do it all over again.

sdh09e44

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lets play John Madden and just sign everyone and anyone. Maybe this will make the crybabies happy.

I think some Packer fans here are honestly Johnny Come Lately bandwagoners that we picked up from other teams. So here is a history lesson for you noobies: The Packers have NEVER been aggressive in FA. Ever. This pre-dates TT so get off that mans jock strap. Ron Wolf was the same exact way. But rest assured, when we DO sign a FA, you can be almost certain that we get our money worth from them.

but signing one prime FA isn't being aggressive in Free agency. Especially when it's one FA for the one position you need to put your team over the top.

the jaguars giants and raiders are being aggressive in Free agency. Paying big money to multiple guys to fill holes that you could've filled in the draft. And even after that, they still have a few holes. Or those teams sign guys just to sign them, some of those moves were for spots they didn't even necessarily need.

Packers signing one FA is a completely different scenario. They have minimal holes and 1 truly big hole at ILB. TE and NT are two other slight holes.
TE and ILB are very scarce this year in the draft. Ragland or Lee are the two ILBs we will be very lucky to draft. But it's a huge risk relying on those guys being available. If we were win prime postition to draft a franchise ILB, I would never in a million years ask TT to go out and sign a guy. But if those guy's are gone, then once again, ILB will be a hole for this team and that sucks.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We still need to re-sign our own guys. I'd like to see Perry back and possibly Raji and Starks. Starting next week is where TT will make hay in FA with bargain guys like Tahir Whitehead (ILB) and TE's like Owen Daniels, Gary Barnidge or Zach Miller and possibly someone like Clay Harbor or James Hanna. Marcedes Lewis is also available. This is what you call smart spending. Then from there, we draft.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
So Forte got signed by the Jets? Who was it that said they wanted to bet that TT would actually do something in FA? I'm still waiting. Being proactive doesn't mean going out and spending a ridiculous amount of money like everyone keeps saying. It means making an actual effort to be a bug in people's ear to get them to jump on board your train. How did TT spend his first day of FA? He went to Wisconsin's Pro Day. He couldn't have let the scouts do that while he was in the War Room with MM and staff trying to chase down some leads? I'm not going to go bananas like that other guy in the chat did, but if this wasn't an indication that TT is about to use FA to resign his own players and mid to low level FA players, then I don't know what is.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

This it TT's normal MO. The Free Agency period wasn't even a few hours in and people are panicking. Sure, I would like to see a FA ILB or TE, but not if it means over paying despite the future of the organization. Expect news of some of our own FA's being resigned and in a week or two, maybe TT will find what he is looking for among the rest.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ugh, how have i managed to survive these 6 grueling years since our last lombardi. we should all be given purple hearts.

Been brutal. Wouldn't have minded it so much if they hadn't been soooo close and blown it in such horrible fashion. Need to include the year before the SB in the list of crushing defeats, also.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seeing the money flying out of team wallets today makes me appreciate TT even more. Did anyone seriously want us to pay a bloated salary for one of these guys. A reasonable contract, sure...but there are no reasonable contracts on the first day of FA.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
I have yet to hear any word or even rumors on current Packer FA's signing with other teams, TT has them trained well coming and going.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah. I forgot TT only signs FA if they accept the standard deal of a paper clip and a piece of string. :rolleyes:

If by "stop caring", you mean wonder how a team with the league's best QB can go almost 6 years since winning a SB and still stick to the same ol', same ol' year in and out, then sure, not one fan is complaining at all.

It would sure help if that best QB played well come playoff time.

How is possible to for fans to continually ignore that Rodgers was not good during the last two playoff loses? That's not on TT at all.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seeing the money flying out of team wallets today makes me appreciate TT even more. Did anyone seriously want us to pay a bloated salary for one of these guys. A reasonable contract, sure...but there are no reasonable contracts on the first day of FA.
Do you think the Bears overpaid Trevathan at 4 years 28mil? I don't think so.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's what I figured he'd get, and I do not think he'll be worth it. I'd rather spend that on a guy along the line than to him all else equal. I think there are 3-4 other decent ilbs that will be half the price for more than half production

Members online

Latest posts