Packers free agent rumors?

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So I am in the shout box listening to a fan screaming about TT never signing Free agents and how arrogant TT is and blah blah blah......so this follows his rant (hid his identity).

1. 6 minutes ago - Pokerbrat2000:
    Last FA that left a bad taste in my mouth was Joe Johnson and that was ages ago
  2. 5 minutes ago - &%&%&%&%&%&:
    I loved Joe Johnson
  3. 5 minutes ago - Pokerbrat2000:
    well there is your FA signing to hang your hat on

I'm sorry....but if you "Loved Joe Johnson" what does this say about your level of knowledge when it comes to FA's?

He was an expensive player who was a big name! That means it was good signing....

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
Read what captain said but a couple other points

CJ Spiller was never solid and Demarco was a terrible fit for Chip Kelly's offense
Forte is better than Starks. No debate. He is also better in an area this team has lack - pass catching back.
If you just plug in a running back when one gets hurt I would much rather plug in Forte than Starks.
You logic is why already have Starks - we dont he is a FA as well
I am not even sure what you mean if we fed Starks 218 times we would have the same production. Compared to whom? Forte? You are comparing two totally different offenses. You are comparing a change of pace back to a starter. Apples meet oranges
Yes I was comparing an offense that relied on Matt Forte to an offense that does not rely on an RB. My point exactly. Why would the Packers spend money on a position that is not worthy of spending money on in their system? Clearly, they did not, because it would be a waste of money.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Yes I was comparing an offense that relied on Matt Forte to an offense that does not rely on an RB. My point exactly. Why would the Packers spend money on a position that is not worthy of spending money on in their system? Clearly, they did not, because it would be a waste of money.

I am just curious, since James Starks has now officially hit the FA Market and the Packers did not sign Forte, who would you sign as our #2 RB and how much would you be willing to spend?

RepStar15

Reaction score
Neither was Murray. Murray was coming off leading the league in rushing and 27 years old at the time.
Marshawn Lynch was 24 when picked up by Seattle, retired at 29. Ryan Grant was a PRIOR Packer that was picked up on veteran minimum in 2012 and did absolutely nothing in Green Bay. If you are talking about Ryan Grant being picked up as a 22 year old FA after being cut by the Giants, that's a terrible comparison as well.

RepStar15

Reaction score
I am just curious, since James Starks has now officially hit the FA Market and the Packers did not sign Forte, who would you sign as our #2 RB and how much would you be willing to spend?
James Starks, veteran minimum. Maybe slightly more. If not Starks, no one. Draft someone. The running back position is not worth a FA signing.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought it was a late round, beginning of the season trade with the Giants? Either way, Forte isn't coming here. He'd have been fine for the right price, and that price was a couple million less than what he's probably getting. Our money would be better spent on DL, ILB at this point. Maybe a TE if there's one worth the extra cash

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
James Starks, veteran minimum. Maybe slightly more.

I would be fine with Starks back at that price, but can also see another team throwing more money at him. Unless the Packers had their eyes on another FA like Forte, I would think that deal would have already been made. But maybe TT was content at letting him test the waters to bring his asking price down.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think Starks is getting a lot from anybody, a million per maybe is about it

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Terrible comparison. Ryan Grant and Marshawn lynch were not at the end of their careers.
Don't yet see the end of career qualifier in your original post. In that case Frank Gore is a better comparison on your side because of this:
Neither was Murray. Murray was coming off leading the league in rushing and 27 years old at the time.
And we'll see what happens in a different offense this season.
Marshawn Lynch was 24 when picked up by Seattle, retired at 29.
And a dang good pickup on their part. As was this for Grant:
it was a late round, beginning of the season trade with the Giants?

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
James Starks, veteran minimum. Maybe slightly more.
What is the vet minimum for Starks now? $760k? Reduced by this:
When qualified, a player with more than four or more years of NFL experience can earn his total minimum salary, but have a cap figure that reflects two years of experience – or in [*] 2016, $600,000. The contract must be for only one year, and must not contain combined bonus money (signing, roster, workout) that exceeds $65,000.
* quote using updated values for 2016 from here: https://www.spotrac.com/blog/nfl-minimum-salaries-for-2015-and-the-veteran-cap-benefit-rule/

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
With the question marks surround Lacy, you have to think that TT isn't sitting pat on having Crockett as his #2 RB. Which leads me to believe he either had interest in Forte or another FA RB and if those didn't pan out, Starks is hopefully his safety net.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought it was a late round, beginning of the season trade with the Giants? Either way, Forte isn't coming here. He'd have been fine for the right price, and that price was a couple million less than what he's probably getting. Our money would be better spent on DL, ILB at this point. Maybe a TE if there's one worth the extra cash

Grant was traded to the Packers on September 1, 2007 in exchange for a future sixth-round draft pick

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So what FA's are tied to us now? Anyone have any names?

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I hope someone is holding Von Millers hand today, there has to be visible steam rolling off his head when he sees some of these numbers. But then again, Broncos will probably work out a long term deal that makes him happy and if they have to pay him what some of the lessor free agents are getting, that will be win for him.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I bet he's the opposite and is really excited. His deal is going to be even bigger now if gets off the franchise tag.
Yes, reposted my post after I thought about that.....but if Elway doesn't, he won't be in Denver after this year.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
AFC West will be Oakland's for the taking. We'll see a power-shift in the AFC this coming year IMO.

Wynnebeck

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So Forte got signed by the Jets? Who was it that said they wanted to bet that TT would actually do something in FA? I'm still waiting. Being proactive doesn't mean going out and spending a ridiculous amount of money like everyone keeps saying. It means making an actual effort to be a bug in people's ear to get them to jump on board your train. How did TT spend his first day of FA? He went to Wisconsin's Pro Day. He couldn't have let the scouts do that while he was in the War Room with MM and staff trying to chase down some leads? I'm not going to go bananas like that other guy in the chat did, but if this wasn't an indication that TT is about to use FA to resign his own players and mid to low level FA players, then I don't know what is.

Members online

Latest posts