Packers free agent rumors?

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So Pressley's been gone for a week, the roster has been at 52 for that same week... and any news? Does TT think the roster is so stacked we don't need to carry 53? :tdown::mad:

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
So Pressley's been gone for a week, the roster has been at 52 for that same week... and any news? Does TT think the roster is so stacked we don't need to carry 53? :tdown::mad:

I'm starting to wonder if they are just going to hold that spot open until Pennel is back? Which is pretty stupid if they are, chances are pretty decent that between now and his return, someone will end up on IR.

H

HardRightEdge

You get only 46 on game day. The 53rd. guy isn't likely to suit up anyway. If there are sufficient injuries at a particular position group, then expect a name to be added. And that may be what they're waiting for...addressing the first acute need that pops up. So far, as the NFL goes, the team is pretty healthy.

I don't think we've gotten an answer yet as to how the Packers didn't forfeit PS eligibility for Bradford by not carrying 53, but evidently they did.

Edit: The Captain threw out the Bradford red herring and we all followed along. He spent all of 2014 on the 53 man roster. This is only his second practice squad year. So, the Packers were comfortable forfeiting 3rd. year PS eligibility because, quite simply, there are no players on the PS who would be affected.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 6794

I'm starting to wonder if they are just going to hold that spot open until Pennel is back? Which is pretty stupid if they are, chances are pretty decent that between now and his return, someone will end up on IR.

With Guion most likely not being able to play on Sunday vs. the Lions I expect the Packers to promote Brian Price to the active roster this week.

Edit: The Captain threw out the Bradford red herring and we all followed along. He spent all of 2014 on the 53 man roster. This is only his second practice squad year. So, the Packers were comfortable forfeiting 3rd. year PS eligibility because, quite simply, there are no players on the PS who would be affected.

I don't think Bradford being on the active roster during the 2014 season changes anything. As far as I understand a team gets into trouble with the league when only having 52 players on the roster while having a player with at least two accrued seasons on the practice squad.

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"An otherwise eligible player may be a Practice Squad player for a third season only if the Club by which he is employed that season has at least 53 players on its Active/Inactive List during the entire period of his employment."

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
With Guion most likely not being able to play on Sunday vs. the Lions I expect the Packers to promote Brian Price to the active roster this week.

I've been half expecting to see the name Terrance Knighton or another FA DL being brought in to GB for a workout, but you may be right and if the coaches think Price is ready, he may be brought up.

H

HardRightEdge

I don't think Bradford being on the active roster during the 2014 season changes anything. As far as I understand a team gets into trouble with the league when only having 52 players on the roster while having a player with at least two accrued seasons on the practice squad.
I see nothing about 2 accrued seasons in the rules as pertains to the 53 man requirement. Besides, 2014 was Bradford's only accrued season. In 2015 he was on PS which does not count toward accrual.

Had Bradford been on PS in 2014, he would be a 3rd. year PS player. At that point, according to the CBA, the Packers would not be able to retain Bradford. I thought that was your earlier argument.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see nothing about 2 accrued seasons in the rules as pertains to the 53 man requirement. Besides, 2014 was Bradford's only accrued season. In 2015 he was on PS which does not count toward accrual.

Had Bradford been on PS in 2014, he would be a 3rd. year PS player. At that point, according to the CBA, the Packers would not be able to retain Bradford. I thought that was your earlier argument.
I (mistakenly?) brought-up Bradford's name as being in jeopardy of becoming ineligible because of the 52 man roster for the past 8 days.

I made the mistake (??) of assuming being 3 yr. vet and being on the PS that this might be a problem, but he's only been PS'd 2 years so maybe there's no issue. Still don't understand why TT isn't fully using all available roster spots, but apparently my wife is right and I don't know everything :p.

H

HardRightEdge

I (mistakenly?) brought-up Bradford's name as being in jeopardy of becoming ineligible because of the 52 man roster for the past 8 days.

I made the mistake (??) of assuming being 3 yr. vet and being on the PS that this might be a problem, but he's only been PS'd 2 years so maybe there's no issue. Still don't understand why TT isn't fully using all available roster spots, but apparently my wife is right and I don't know everything :p.
Bradford has not gotten to 2 years on the PS yet. That won't happen until his 6th. week according the NFL definition of a PS year. Even then it doesn't appear to matter.

Promoting a guy who sits inactive on game day is pretty pointless with Pennel coming back in week 5.

Further, as noted earlier, the team is pretty healthy by NFL standards. Keeping the spot open offers flexibility in the event of multiple injuries at a particular position group such that the 53rd. guy would make the game day roster. That has not happened yet. With Pennel out and if Guion is out this week, perhaps Price will fit that criteria as the Captain suggests. We'll see. Clark had snaps against MIN where he was not blown off the line for a change...maybe he'll serve as next man up if Guion can't go.

D

Deleted member 6794

Well, you're absolutely right about all the points you made about Bradford and his practice squad eligibility. It seems I misinterpreted the rules.

Pkrjones

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Starting wishful-thinking rumor... DT Ryan Carrethers was released by San Diego, yesterday. 6'-1", 331 lb NT who I liked back in the '14 draft. SD wants 1-gap, penetrating D linemen... Carrethers is a double-team, block-eating, true 3-4 NT. Horrible timing, as Pennel comes back on Monday but Carrethers is PS eligible and IMHO would be a better game-day option (if necessary again) than Price right now.

Not sure why we need a FB (Kerridge) on the PS so would love it if TT could grab Carrethers for the PS in case of injury to Pennel or Clark the rest of the way. Probably won't happen, but I can dream...

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Starting wishful-thinking rumor... DT Ryan Carrethers was released by San Diego, yesterday. 6'-1", 331 lb NT who I liked back in the '14 draft. SD wants 1-gap, penetrating D linemen... Carrethers is a double-team, block-eating, true 3-4 NT. Horrible timing, as Pennel comes back on Monday but Carrethers is PS eligible and IMHO would be a better game-day option (if necessary again) than Price right now.

Not sure why we need a FB (Kerridge) on the PS so would love it if TT could grab Carrethers for the PS in case of injury to Pennel or Clark the rest of the way. Probably won't happen, but I can dream...

If if Pennel or Clark get hurt, as of right now it looks like the D line would be fine.

Without Pennel and Guion last week, they were fine.

D

Deleted member 6794

The Chargers signed Carrethers to their practice squad today. There's no reason for the Packers to sign him to the active roster.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Isn't that crazy to say. That group is doing some impressive work as of now
it just goes to prove what an absolute genius football mind i have, when at the beginning of the season I was thinking it was the biggest weakness on the team, and would remain so until Pennel came back to provide a bit of a rotation and we'd be adequate.

I did think we had some good talent, but no rotation or too much youth to be effective early on this year. Freaking nailed it!

D

Deleted member 6794

it just goes to prove what an absolute genius football mind i have, when at the beginning of the season I was thinking it was the biggest weakness on the team, and would remain so until Pennel came back to provide a bit of a rotation and we'd be adequate.

I did think we had some good talent, but no rotation or too much youth to be effective early on this year. Freaking nailed it!

Well, to be fair most experts and posters on this forum (including me) shared that opinion and were mostly worried about the run defense entering this season.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Well, to be fair most experts and posters on this forum (including me) shared that opinion and were mostly worried about the run defense entering this season.
Yep, goes to show that it is very true what appears to be adequate and inadequate in terms of depth can change very quickly.

jrock645

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I dont think we'll be playing that long if the secondary continues to struggle like they have.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts