Packers free agent rumors?

D

Deleted member 6794

Gather around the Christmas tree boys and girls and wait to see what presents Uncle Ted brings to us......Coal or a shiny new bike?

Well, right now Thompson is at Wisconsin´s pro day, so not sure he´s working on acquiring a free agent at the moment.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Well, right now Thompson is at Wisconsin´s pro day, so not sure he´s working on acquiring a free agent at the moment.

I hope he is taking a close look at Joe Schobert and Tanner McEvoy. Not really sure where either of them will go in the draft, but 2 guys I wouldn't mind seeing in Green and Gold.

D

Deleted member 6794

I hope he is taking a close look at Joe Schobert and Tanner McEvoy. Not really sure where either of them will go in the draft, but 2 guys I wouldn't mind seeing in Green and Gold.

Schobert most likely will be a mid-round pick while McEvoy could either be selected late in the draft or go undrafted. I'm especially intrigued by McEvoy because of his ability to play multiple positions.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The longer time goes without any word on guys the Packers could want, the better. We all know TT won't overspend on an outside free agent during the first day or two of free agency.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Schobert most likely will be a mid-round pick while McEvoy could either be selected late in the draft or go undrafted. I'm especially intrigued by McEvoy because of his ability to play multiple positions.

I have had the pleasure of watching McEvoy his whole college career. The guy went from a QB prospect to almost not playing at all to where he is today; Safety, WR, Wild Cat QB. Everything I have seen and read about the guy I like. He has the height, speed, cerebral skills and determination to do something in the NFL, its just a matter of what position and most likely with some added weight and muscle, maybe a TE. If he is on the board in the 6th, I would love to see the Packers get him...UDFA even better.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
im believing the Forte rumor. Heard it again on the radio. Would be a great addition because of the pass catching ability. Would even run 2 back sets with eddie and have forte motion wide. I think it would be tough to defend. Are they gonna pound it with lacy, finess with forte, or fake to lacy and screen to forte. Sounds like fun.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Are they gonna pound it with lacy, finess with forte, or fake to lacy and screen to forte. Sounds like fun.

A nice option to have on short yardage situations too.

I'm cautiously optimistic in regards to all the rumors on Forte. I know we probably won't hear anything until someone signs him, but would love to know what Forte himself is thinking.

D

Deleted member 6794

Green expected to become a Steeler according to Schefter.

Well, I didn't expect the Packers to sign him but it's disappointing nevertheless. Depending on the deal he gets from the Steelers that might change though.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I liked Green as an option but his contract is a complete gamble on upside. He proved very little. Averaged under 20 catches and about 250 yards per year. When he started games this year he averaged 3 catches per game. I think he will be good but this is a boom or bust type signing

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
Just about everyone I was hoping for is off the table at this point. I think Forte is a waste. We do not need to upgrade our run game if our TE and Oline does not get an upgrade. We should look into trading Scott Tolzien to Denver for another first round pick.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
We should look into trading Scott Tolzien to Denver for another first round pick.

Good luck with that, at this point Tolzien is all but a free agent and wont require a team to trade for him. Plus, I doubt you could get a much of anything in the way of a pick for him.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just about everyone I was hoping for is off the table at this point. I think Forte is a waste. We do not need to upgrade our run game if our TE and Oline does not get an upgrade. We should look into trading Scott Tolzien to Denver for another first round pick.

Not sure if the whole post is sarcasm like I assume the last sentence is. Our oline needs depth not an upgrade to starters. Who out there was a big improvement on the Oline compared to what we have?

You can improve other areas to off-set the weakness in another area. Adding Forte gives the Packers a receiving threat who can exploit lbs like we hope a TE would be able to do. It wouldnt make us better at TE exactly but it would help us create match up issues for the opposition. Then we could still draft a young TE with some athletic upside but we wouldnt be dependent on just him diversifying the passing game

RepStar15

Reaction score
If Denver is looking to sign Colin Kapernick, I would say they are just about desperate. And no Tolzien is not a free agent, which is why he could be traded.

D

Deleted member 6794

If Denver is looking to sign Colin Kapernick, I would say they are just about desperate. And no Tolzien is not a free agent, which is why he could be traded.

Tolzien is set to become a free agent at 3pm so the Packers can't trade him. With Kaepernick under contract with the Niners the Broncos would have to trade for him.

RepStar15

Reaction score
Not sure if the whole post is sarcasm like I assume the last sentence is. Our oline needs depth not an upgrade to starters. Who out there was a big improvement on the Oline compared to what we have?

You can improve other areas to off-set the weakness in another area. Adding Forte gives the Packers a receiving threat who can exploit lbs like we hope a TE would be able to do. It wouldnt make us better at TE exactly but it would help us create match up issues for the opposition. Then we could still draft a young TE with some athletic upside but we wouldnt be dependent on just him diversifying the passing game

I can' tell if your kidding. Spending money on an old RB with is not in the Packers best interest. Starks put up comparable numbers to him last season. If we fed Starks 218 times last year, we would have seen the same production. With Lacy coming back in shape, we do not need to spend cash on a #1 RB that will have the same production as the #2 back, playing in a #2 back slot. I think Packer's fans get too caught up in the big names and don't actually analyze the game play. The Packers offense was horrible last year, because the system was all screwed up when we did not have a deep threat. Our deep threat is back, which means our passing offense is back, which means we do not need two #1 backs on the same team. Protect the investment. What happens when a running back get hurt? You plug in the next guy. What happens when you put a lot of money into a running back that gets hurt? You waste money. What happens when a solid running back is put on a new team? I don't know, ask the Eagles and Demarco Murray or the Saints and CJ Spiller

D

Deleted member 6794

I can' tell if your kidding. Spending money on an old RB with is not in the Packers best interest. Starks put up comparable numbers to him last season. If we fed Starks 218 times last year, we would have seen the same production. With Lacy coming back in shape, we do not need to spend cash on a #1 RB that will have the same production as the #2 back, playing in a #2 back slot. I think Packer's fans get too caught up in the big names and don't actually analyze the game play. The Packers offense was horrible last year, because the system was all screwed up when we did not have a deep threat. Our deep threat is back, which means our passing offense is back, which means we do not need two #1 backs on the same team. Protect the investment. What happens when a running back get hurt? You plug in the next guy. What happens when you put a lot of money into a running back that gets hurt? You waste money. What happens when a solid running back is put on a new team? I don't know, ask the Eagles and Demarco Murray.

Nobody is advocating for the Packers to spend crazy money on Forte but a lot of fans would like to sign him to a moderate deal. He would for sure be an upgrade over Starks, especially in the passing game, and a nice insurance policy if Lacy doesn't turn up to camp in shape.

bigbubbatd

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can' tell if your kidding. Spending money on an old RB with is not in the Packers best interest. Starks put up comparable numbers to him last season. If we fed Starks 218 times last year, we would have seen the same production. With Lacy coming back in shape, we do not need to spend cash on a #1 RB that will have the same production as the #2 back, playing in a #2 back slot. I think Packer's fans get too caught up in the big names and don't actually analyze the game play. The Packers offense was horrible last year, because the system was all screwed up when we did not have a deep threat. Our deep threat is back, which means our passing offense is back, which means we do not need two #1 backs on the same team. Protect the investment. What happens when a running back get hurt? You plug in the next guy. What happens when you put a lot of money into a running back that gets hurt? You waste money. What happens when a solid running back is put on a new team? I don't know, ask the Eagles and Demarco Murray or the Saints and CJ Spiller

Read what captain said but a couple other points

CJ Spiller was never solid and Demarco was a terrible fit for Chip Kelly's offense
Forte is better than Starks. No debate. He is also better in an area this team has lack - pass catching back.
If you just plug in a running back when one gets hurt I would much rather plug in Forte than Starks.
You logic is why already have Starks - we dont he is a FA as well
I am not even sure what you mean if we fed Starks 218 times we would have the same production. Compared to whom? Forte? You are comparing two totally different offenses. You are comparing a change of pace back to a starter. Apples meet oranges

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
There would probably be no discussion about the Packers and Forte if Starks was under contract, but he isn't. If you can upgrade (IMO) from Starks to Forte for a reasonable $ amount, why not? That reasonable $ amount has yet to be determined, at least publicly.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
So I am in the shout box listening to a fan screaming about TT never signing Free agents and how arrogant TT is and blah blah blah......so this follows his rant (hid his identity).

1. 6 minutes ago - Pokerbrat2000:
    Last FA that left a bad taste in my mouth was Joe Johnson and that was ages ago
  2. 5 minutes ago - &%&%&%&%&%&:
    I loved Joe Johnson
  3. 5 minutes ago - Pokerbrat2000:
    well there is your FA signing to hang your hat on

I'm sorry....but if you "Loved Joe Johnson" what does this say about your level of knowledge when it comes to FA's?

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts