Packers extend Charles Woodson

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Josina Anderson of Fox31 in Denver reports the Packers have agreed to terms with Charles Woodson on a contract extension. The Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel confirms.
The reigning Defensive Player of the Year denied a report by the same source three months ago that he was seeking a new contract. Anderson clearly has a pipeline to Woodson information, though. Woodson, turning 34 in October, is in the fifth year of a seven-year, $52 million contract. He was already owed nearly $20 million over the next three years. This is apparently a reward for his outstanding 2009 season.

vegasdan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Great for Woodson! He will probably donate to charity the extra money he will make anyway. Class act.

DergaSmash

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That pumps me up. It will be nice to see him retire as a Packer. I wish more pro-athletes would learn from his example. Both he and Donlad Driver exemplify what a pro player should be.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is so nice in so many levels.
It sends a clear message that the Packers reward their own. It pumps the locker room, and the image of the team amongst other players.

That is GREAT management.

Spanish Rose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is so nice in so many levels.
It sends a clear message that the Packers reward their own. It pumps the locker room, and the image of the team amongst other players.

That is GREAT management.
idk how many of you will still be happy once we find out how much he got paid.. if it was anywhere near what revis or nmadi got then i will not be a happy camper because when the time comes around which one of young players wont be able to be signed.. Finley?? not for nothing woodson had a GREAT year last year but he is up there in age..

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
idk how many of you will still be happy once we find out how much he got paid.. if it was anywhere near what revis or nmadi got then i will not be a happy camper because when the time comes around which one of young players wont be able to be signed.. Finley?? not for nothing woodson had a GREAT year last year but he is up there in age..

You would assume they would front load it with the no cap this season.

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I love Woodson, it definitely put a smile to my face when I heard the news of the extension...I totally agree it makes a great example of how management treats their own...so far Collins, Driver, Woodson, Rodgers, & Chilliar have received this treatment...can't say Grant, b/c he was a hold-out-case

G0PackG0

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Speaking as a Buckeye fan first... Congratulations Chrarles Woodson on being an incredible person.. player.. and even a Wolverine! Woodsons time and money have been so well spent in his home of Michigan, that I am very happy to hear this news. I can remember the talking heads when they said Woodson was coming here to finish is lackluster career off. Well after a few great seasons with the Packers.. Including a Defensive player of the year! He's signed an exstention to retire as a Packer!(more than likely) It's also refreshing to see someone show Derelle Revis how to act AFTER he deserves it! Go Packers and keep on goin #21!

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Green Bay -- Once convinced that he was not going to be able to be happy in Titletown, Packers cornerback Charles Woodson agreed to a two-year contract extension that will tie him to the organization until 2014.

Woodson will be 39 years old at the time his new deal expires and he said he expects it to be the last one he signs.

"Once I came around, I came around hard," Woodson said of his comfort with Green Bay. "It's been a great ride and hopefully we'll become a great championship team."

The Packers announced the two-year deal just before Woodson entered the locker room during the media session and the 13-year veteran said he was thrilled to add more years to his contract. Financial terms of the deal were not announced, but Woodson confirmed it was a two-year extension.

Woodson said the more he became familiar with the community and the organization the more comfortable he became. He said it was a gradual process coming around to being a part of the Packers, but he finally came to be in a good place.

"Once I realized what I had.... it was a done deal," he said.

Woodson said his agent, Carl Poston, and the Packers have been having discussions since the off-season about upgrading his contract following a season in which he was named defensive player of the year. The recent contract upgrades of top corners Nnmandi Asmoghua of Oakland and Darrelle Revis of the New York Jets made it logical to up his salary.

As for this season, Woodson said the sky's the limit.

"We've got it here," Woodson said. "We've got the players to get it done. We've got the coaches. All the rest is on our shoulders. It's about believing in ourselves."

via- js online

Spanish Rose

Cheesehead
Reaction score
im not gonna be happy next year when we cant sign finley because of the money we just threw at woodson.. 5 years 55 mill???? thats namdi money right there.. as much as i would love it woodson is not gonna last till 39.. hes got maybe 2 solid years left.. they should just ride out the remainder of his contract.. you dont throw that much money at old people it just not logical

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts