Packers expected to bring Raji back on one-year deal

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6794

According to Ian Rapoport it seems like the Packers will bring back Raji as well.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Then barring any surprises, that'll be it for the NT position, and the draft focus will be on ILB and CB.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Then barring any surprises, that'll be it for the NT position, and the draft focus will be on ILB and CB.

This probably means the Packers will mostly focus on addressing the ILB position with adding some depth to NT and CB.

gopkrs

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't think you can count on Raji for anything...including affecting the way we deal with the draft. We offered Rolly Polly less than $2M and that is what the whole league basically thinks of him. Thank God he did not accept the ridiculous offer two years ago.

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If this report is correct I am happy about it. LG made a big mistake and has been given a chance to rebuild his image and be a part of a championship caliber squad. I hope he has learned his lesson and comes in focused and builds off his pretty solid '14 season. He is still a relatively young guy and should have plenty of petro left in the tank to play at a high level for us next season and possibly beyond. Letroy is not a pro-bowl type player but he is a guy that can make some big plays at times and provide a consistent presence in the ever important middle of the defensive front.

I have said for months now that I would like 90 back. I am not going to rehash the revolving debate regarding his desire and motivation as I have stated numerous times where I stand on that. All reports have him being in great shape and I just have to believe that he is chomping at the bit to get on the field and help this team win some games. When he is dialed in he can be a difference maker and I love having both he and LG in the middle of the line. I am well aware the Raji situation has a lot of moving parts to it. He could show up looking the part only to play like a kitten. He could show up out of shape and just go through the motions. He could also show up not only looking the part but acting it as well and that glimmer of hope is what I hang my hat on as foolish or ill-advised as it may be. I think even the biggest Raji-haters would have to agree that if we can get even 80% of "Good BJ" and a motivated Guion this defensive unit should show vast improvement. This Packer fan is pulling for both of these guys but I assure you I will be right back on this forum eating crow if they prove my faith in them foolish.

G P G!

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

I think even the biggest Raji-haters would have to agree that if we can get even 80% of "Good BJ" and a motivated Guion this defensive unit should show vast improvement. This Packer fan is pulling for both of these guys but I assure you I will be right back on this forum eating crow if they prove my faith in them foolish.

Most regulars on this forum including myself are convinced that Raji has the physical tools to be a dominant player in the league. He has to prove that he's capable of staying motivated for some time though before I put any trust in the defense being vastly improved because of the Packers bringing him back.

AKCheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Could be a very nice duo in the middle, sounds like Raji is ready to rumble, the team was really high on him coming out of camp last year!

Reaction score
I like Raji. Not sure why, I just do, so I'm really happy to have him back, but I'm not going to kid myself that we'll have anything better than a decent defensive line, be it 3-4 or 4-3.

In fact, I'm sort of disappointed they've brought both Guion and Raji back, since it probably means we're not strengthening in free agency.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

In fact, I'm sort of disappointed they've brought both Guion and Raji back, since it probably means we're not strengthening in free agency.

It's highly possible Thompson wouldn't have addressed the NT position with outside free agents no matter what happened with Raji and Guion.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
According to Ian Rapoport it seems like the Packers will bring back Raji as well.

I see that DaveRoller disagrees with you. Very strange.

Hey, DaveRoller, I added a screen shot of the tweet from Ian Rapoport that confirms what the Captain mentions in the post that you disagreed with. Just in case you were wondering...

Attachments

• UNTITLED.jpg
    UNTITLED.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 81
OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

I see that DaveRoller disagrees with you. Very strange.

Hey, DaveRoller, I added a screen shot of the tweet from Ian Rapoport that confirms what the Captain mentions in the post that you disagreed with. Just in case you were wondering...

I was wondering about that as well, maybe he tried to point out that he didn't like the Packers re-signing Raji.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not excited about either move, but probably the team's best- if not only- options. Free to focus on ILB and CB now.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Raji's deal is worth $3.5 million, he can earn up to $4 million with incentives.

Sky King

Reaction score
I'm hoping that Josh Boyd and Mike Pennell become more relevant to this conversation by making significant strides forward this season. Thornton, too, although he looked no better than a lump under a hat during last year's camp. So hope is quite guarded in his case. Two out of three would be pretty good, though.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I wonder how much Raji got as a signing bonus. I hope he has to appear in a regular season game before he earns any money but I know that's not how it usually works.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think these two signings do much to the draft focus. Both of these guys were signed to one year prove-it deals. If they prove it, are we going to sign both next season? No, that's not Ted's style. They still need to draft someone in the top rounds to be the future here.

Uncle Rico

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So now our choices at NT are back to probable suspension vs. questionable work ethic and motivation. I have to think TT is still looking at NTs in the draft.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think these two signings do much to the draft focus. Both of these guys were signed to one year prove-it deals. If they prove it, are we going to sign both next season? No, that's not Ted's style. They still need to draft someone in the top rounds to be the future here.

Good points. Maybe they feel ok with a band aid solution for this season because they feel there will be better options available next year.

sjb12681

Cheesehead
Reaction score
^^^ agreed^^^

Its a win win/loss loss scenario.

They do well, outstanding even, we reap 1 year, to lose them in the off season to bigger $, they suck, get hurt again, we need replacements.

Either way, they are not affecting the draft this season, maybe allow for a later focus, but still drafting

gbpowner

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like these signings. 2 for the price of 1 deal! Both on "prove" it deals with a 1 year rental commitment. If things don't work out, hopefully one of the kids or a draft choice are ready to step in!

DaveRoller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was wondering about that as well, maybe he tried to point out that he didn't like the Packers re-signing Raji.

Don't disagree and don't oppose the signing and was flying all day so must have inadvertently hit something I guess.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts