Packers don’t want to use franchise tag on Jermichael Finley

News Bot

News Bot
Reaction score
Jermichael Finley had some issues with dropped passes this season, but the Packers still want to keep their tight end around. And not just for one year. Finley’s agent Blake Baratz told the Green Bay Post-Gazette that the team would like to sign his client to a long-term deal instead of using the franchise tag.…
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Source: ProFootballTalk.com

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
Please don't, just cut him. He don't deserve to be on this team when he came in second place for dropped passes in the regular season, and then goes on to drop 3 more in one playoff game, including a 3rd down and 5 that could have led to tying the game up. I know people say all this "he's so good, he is a great match up on defense blah blah blah" none of that matters when he drops passes that he could easily catch!

DOCTORAPK

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know...Jermichael could be so much better ...but he isn't.

If the game is on the line...and you have to complete one pass to win...or lose..the game.

Nobody in is his right head is going to chose Jermichael.

And to boot, if you ask the current Packers brass and coaches, the guy or guys who are going to probably let Driver go ....
....they would probably chose Driver.

And the Pack will probably keep Jermichael and let Donald go...

Go Figure...

okcpackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It sure would be nice if he played more like Vernon Davis and less like Kellen Winslow Jr. I think we re-sign him and franchise tag flynn.

Reaction score
Noone has to pay him 14 mill. Work out a deal then tag him and trade him and new team works out a new deal for him and 14 mill is never paid. Its all a phantom process really.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
tag and trade my man

Nobody is going to trade for a guy who is guaranteed $14M who has only played two NFL games. The transition tag makes more sense if anything like this is going to be attempted, but it remains a gamble, and TT is not a gambler. So it's just not going to happen. Flynn will go on to lead the Dolphins to the Super Bowl next year and we'll all be happy for him.

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
As much as I want to rob a stupid team for Flynn, it's not going to happen. We'll let him walk and take the comp pick

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Noone has to pay him 14 mill. Work out a deal then tag him and trade him and new team works out a new deal for him and 14 mill is never paid. Its all a phantom process really.

Let's say there's nobody out there that wants to pay him that $14M. Flynn isn't obligated to renegotiate anything. So what if Flynn decides not to renegotiate with another team this year and instead opts to sit tight and collect his $14M? If he did that, we'd either have a situation where a guy with 10 career touchdowns is making 50% more money than the league MVP, OR we'd have to waive him, take a salary cap hit anyway, and get nothing for him at all... not even a compensatory pick.

Sorry, there's just no way in hell Thompson will franchise him. It simply makes no sense and could cause a lot of potential problems.

Reaction score
Thats why I said work out a deal first. Not just blindly tagging. TT will only tag if he KNOWS he has a trade partner. I could see him tag flynn and send Flynn, james jones and another player or pick for Dolphins 1st.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Thats why I said work out a deal first. Not just blindly tagging. TT will only tag if he KNOWS he has a trade partner. I could see him tag flynn and send Flynn, james jones and another player or pick for Dolphins 1st.

Flynn is a free agent unless he gets tagged. Why would another team bother working out a deal with TT and give up draft picks when they can just negotiate directly with Flynn's agent? Once Ted puts that tag on him, he's not obligated to take a penny less than that $14M if he doesn't want to.

fettpett

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers can resend the Tag at any time as well if they don't get an offer to trade for him. With QB's in short supply, (Luck and RGB3 in the draft as top considerations) Flynn's going to be a hot commodity, between him and Peyton Manning the Dolphins, Jets, Redskins and Cardinals are all looking for QB's, probably throw Seattle in that mix as well.

Finely will get a contract before FA starts

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The Packers can resend the Tag at any time as well if they don't get an offer to trade for him.

Wouldn't they lose any compensation pick if they tagged and rescinded though? I just don't think TT will play games with the franchising or transitioning Flynn. I see him using it to keep Wells before using it on Flynn. But who knows.

With QB's in short supply, (Luck and RGB3 in the draft as top considerations) Flynn's going to be a hot commodity, between him and Peyton Manning the Dolphins, Jets, Redskins and Cardinals are all looking for QB's, probably throw Seattle in that mix as well.

Cleveland possibly.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
No reason to tag him at all.

The Eagles will go after him, watch...he fits right into their radar of overrated star power. The writers on ESPN will favorite them as NFC Champions (again) and brag how Vick will have 2 TE's to throw to "just like Brady!" :roflmao:

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
I see us signing Finley to a reasonable 3 year contract. We need to keep him.

How quick people forget in the NFC Wildcard a few years ago he went straight beastmode

Next season before he gets banged up he's leading our team in receptions.

He has one sub-par season. And now he sucks and we should cut him. lol idiots. Yes I'm referring to you, bogart.

Come at me.

Every single one of the top offensive powerhouses in this league has a big tight end. We're one of them. We were a solid offense in 2010 but look at the stats and the numbers put up by Rodgers this season with Finley as part of our offense and it's not even comparable. Even when he's dropping the football.

Drops can be fixed, and they will be. I swear your idiocy is going to get me banned one of these days with your blind hatred for Finley.

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
No reason to tag him at all.

The Eagles will go after him, watch...he fits right into their radar of overrated star power. The writers on ESPN will favorite them as NFC Champions (again) and brag how Vick will have 2 TE's to throw to "just like Brady!" :roflmao:

lmao. I can see that headline already.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
IMO they are going to retain Finley so if you don't like him you should want him franchised - that would give him one season to prove himself. The other most likely scenario is they'll sign him to a multi-year deal. He's going to be 25 years old in March. McCarthy knows him much better than anyone posting here and he REALLY wants to keep him. If he matures - an "if" I know - you don’t want him playing elsewhere.

I'm surprised few know how the tag-and-trade deals work, particularly since its been explained on this site. Here's the process: The Packers tell Flynn's agent they're going to tag him and they want to trade him. They tell the agent what they want in trade and probably tell him not to contact the Vikings (the only team in the division that may be interested). The agent then contacts all the interested teams, negotiates a deal with the one willing to pay the most money or the one Flynn prefers. If a team, like Miami, thinks he's of starting NFL QB quality, they'll offer a contract with at least $14M guaranteed - over several seasons. If the Dolphins, for example, want to avoid a bidding war for his services (that's why they'd trade for him), why wouldn't they give up a second rounder (if they have one), for example? Another factor is Flynn wants to be a starter in the NFL and knows he won't get that chance in Green Bay.

If he wants to join Philbin in Miami and Miami is willing to deal, why not? Flynn gets his chance to start in a system he knows like the back of his hand. The Dolphins get what they hope is a great starting QB for a second rounder. The Packers get a pick in the first half of the second round instead of one at the end of the third. Win, win, win.

Members online

Latest posts