Packers dominate Seahawks

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Okay, the Seahawks did not play either of their starting tackles or Matt Hasselbeck (good decision--he may have gotten killed out there), but still, this was about as good as a preseason game gets for the Packers. Let me count the ways:

1. Brett Favre--Unlike last week, he had a chance to make some throws, and he made most of them. A very good outing. Looked confident in his receivers.

2. Brandon Jackson--Ran the ball pretty well, and made at least one nice catch. I even saw him make a blitz pickup. He should do fine in this offense.

3. James Jones--Two TD's, both on very good plays, and one amazing over-the-shoulder catch along the sideline.

4. Starting O-line--Opened up a few holes for Jackson and provided good protection for Favre and Rodgers.

5. Bubba Franks--Caught four passes! Didn't drop any!

6. Will Blackmon--An amazing 83-yard kickoff return, down to the 7. Also had a 16 yard punt return. And no penalties on the Packer return teams. Blackmon's performance is bad news for David Clowney and Shaun Bodiford, who may both become dispensable now.

7. Jarrett Bush--Two interceptions, both on great plays. Looks like we have our nickel back.

8. Cullen Jenkins--Awesome again. Set the tone with an early sack.

9. A.J. Hawk--Absolutely destroyed Seattle's FB on an edge rush and got the sack.

10. Atari Bigby--Two acrobatic sacks on blitzes, and a forced fumble. Also came close to a sack on a third blitz. Wasn't really tested in coverage, but at least he didn't make any glaring mistakes. Ability to make the big play is something Manuel doesn't have, so there could be a real battle at this position.

11. Ruvell Martin and Carlyle Holliday--Both made nice catches, including a TD and a fourth-down conversion from Holliday. I've come to expect this from these guys. And it was nice not to have Ferguson out there taking snaps away from the other receivers.

12. Nick Barnett--A couple of really nice plays, including a long fumble return for a TD.

13. Aaron Rodgers--Another very good performance. We have two very good QB's now. I'm especially impressed with Rodgers' ability to throw accurately while on the move. He's obviously been watching and learning from #4.

14. Crosby and Rayner--Both kicked very well again, with kickoffs (there were lots of them!) to at least the 5 yard line, but mostly to the goal line or into the end zone. Crosby did all the kicking in the first half, I think. The coaching staff may be leaning toward him.

15. KGB--An explosive sack and forced fumble.

There must be others I forgot. The team looks way better than it did a year ago. I really like how the defense is ball-hawking out there. I've gotten so used to watching would-be interceptions bounce off the hands of our players these past few years. Now they act like the ball belongs to them, whether it's in the air or on the ground.

It's only the preseason, but I like it, I like it!

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
5 turnovers....not good.

Brett Favre 0 INTS 0 Fumbles thats all that matters the starter

Aaron Rodgers 0 INTS 2 Fumbles, 1 on a very high snap

Paul Thompson 2 INTS 0 Fumbles- 2 very bad stupid throws.

Tramon Williams Fumbled Punt Return- Blackmon looks like he already won that job

so really it wasnt that bad Paul Thompson will never see the field in the Reg. season and by his perfomance probably will be cut. Tramon Williams wont be our punt returner and doesnt look like he will win the CB battle and will be cut. Aaron Rodgers 2 Fumbles, one was almost thrown over his head but again very likely he wont see the field. So it wasnt that bad.

PackFanInSC

Cheesehead
Reaction score
starpass said:
5 turnovers....not good.

These turnovers came from the 2nd and 3rd stringers though. 1st string looked tight.

Not meaning to deflate things but the Seahawk turnovers were from 2nd and 3rd stringers as well. Hassellbeck did not play. That being said -- a win like that is what a young team needs to build momentum -- to believe that they really can compete and not be doormats like the "experts" predict.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
true hasselback didn't play, but (just my opinion!) i think seneca wallace is one of the better backups in the league. That being said, Aaron Rodgers looked REALLY sharp too!

Reaction score
To add: The one thing I loved about this game was the play calling on the D.

Sanders was aggressive, and that was refreshing to see.

It seems that Sanders has also grown in his first season as DC, which hopefully means better things are on the horizon.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We all know the positives. I'll throw you my negatives.

1. Turnovers were not good. Granted the starters did very well but Rodgers had two fumbles. He should've held onto the snap. He played well though but you can't have turnovers.

2. Still didn't see anything out of any of the young safeties in pass coverage. Atari Bigby did great against the run and came up and blitz as good as I've seen since Leroy Butler but in the pass, I'm still uncertain with him.

3. Frank Walker, the only free agent signing continues to struggle. That pass interference call was big even though the game was all but over. He's going to get the boot in my opinion.

4. Greg Jennings is where? I think he'll come around and be ok but he's struggling to get open. He did great in the scrimmage but outside of that he's been a tad lost out there. I'm not that worried because James Jones has stepped it up but still it'd be nice to see the Greg Jennings from the start of last year again.

The rest looked pretty good :)

Best pre season showing of the year by ANY TEAM.

Reaction score
Also, in the post game interviews, Blackmon and Driver were asked how they'd grade themselves on their performance.

They gave themselves a "C+" and "D" respectively. That is a bit surprising considering how well they performed, but it shows they know they could have played better.

It's that type of attitude you like to see from the leaders and youngsters on this team. Knowing you could have done better and looking for improvement even after playing a solid game is the way the Packers are going to be able to contend for a playoff spot this season.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They get that from their head coach. I didnt see McCarthy smile or kidding around ONCE (ok, after Favre got the TD)

but even at halftime, he went to the locker room all serious and kinda angry.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
true hasselback didn't play, but (just my opinion!) i think seneca wallace is one of the better backups in the league. That being said, Aaron Rodgers looked REALLY sharp too!

Seneca is more mobile than Hassleback, who if played probably would have gotten sacked twice more ;)

4thand26

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did Favre look good? I was at the game, and to me it looked like he threw a fair amount of passes that were off the mark. D was smothering. Jones looks very good.

Seattle had there normal 7 dropped passes.

I am interested in peoples opinion on Favre, that had the advantage of seeing replays and better view from the TV.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Favre looked real solid. He tried forcing one in the red zone, and he didnt connect on a long throw to jennings. thats what stood out to me as far as my criticism of him goes. Other than that, he looked sharp.

Running the ball helped him a lot this week.

Fuzznuts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did Favre look good? I was at the game, and to me it looked like he threw a fair amount of passes that were off the mark. D was smothering. Jones looks very good.

Seattle had there normal 7 dropped passes.

I am interested in peoples opinion on Favre, that had the advantage of seeing replays and better view from the TV.

Some people see what they want to see in Favre.

Regardless of the truth. :chalflag:

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
you thought he was un-solid? i thought Favre looked good, but for the second week in a row, Rodgers was the Packers' standout QB. that could be due to the competition that each QB was up against though.

Fuzznuts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No, that's exactly my point.

I thought Favre was solid, but you're going to have people all year saying his accuracy is off, he's too much of a gunslinger, or that Rodgers was the standout QB.

Some people are not dealing with reality here.

First of all, it's the second pre-season game of the year. Favre has had little running game so far, and one receiver that he is familiar with--Donald Driver. Aaron Rodgers has been competing against 2nd, 3rd, and 4th string players. In other words, guys who are not even going to make the opposing team's defense, and be cut. I would hope that he looks good, or I'd be real worried.

My point is that people are getting way out of hand with their opinions and not applying any common sense, much less football sense when they say things in this regard.

That's why guys that think that Aaron Rodgers is ready will be taking cheap shots at Favre all year.

Get ready for it.

4thand26

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Favre looked real solid. He tried forcing one in the red zone, and he didnt connect on a long throw to jennings. thats what stood out to me as far as my criticism of him goes. Other than that, he looked sharp.

Running the ball helped him a lot this week.

Thanks. I thought that he threw behind on a couple of passes that he could have hit in stride. Plus the force in the red zone. I was up in the club seats which are pretty far away, so it was difficult to see the detail that you can from tv.

OP
OP
G

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No, that's exactly my point.

I thought Favre was solid, but you're going to have people all year saying his accuracy is off, he's too much of a gunslinger, or that Rodgers was the standout QB.

Some people are not dealing with reality here.

First of all, it's the second pre-season game of the year. Favre has had little running game so far, and one receiver that he is familiar with--Donald Driver. Aaron Rodgers has been competing against 2nd, 3rd, and 4th string players. In other words, guys who are not even going to make the opposing team's defense, and be cut. I would hope that he looks good, or I'd be real worried.

My point is that people are getting way out of hand with their opinions and not applying any common sense, much less football sense when they say things in this regard.

That's why guys that think that Aaron Rodgers is ready will be taking cheap shots at Favre all year.

Get ready for it.

I think you're underestimating Rodgers here. Even if he's playing largely against backups, his mobility is no illusion, and neither are his arm strength or accuracy. Those qualities have all been very solid for Rodgers this year, and he's shown steady improvement in each of his three seasons.

I haven't seen anybody in this thread getting "way out of hand" with their opinions about Favre, so I don't know why you're being so defensive. It's like you're trying to start a debate, even though everybody in this thread has said that Favre played very well. 4th and 26 was not sure, so that's why he was asking the rest of us.

4thand26

Cheesehead
Reaction score
bozz_2006 said:
"oh jeez! i'm 4thand26". my seat from LAMBEAU were SO BAD. i could only see stuff once. oh woe is me!!!
lol

and is he even a Packer fan??

Nope. Not even close.

Huge NFL fan, free tickets, I'm there. Although being that it was the packers, 2nd preseason game, and raining - that definately pushed the limits.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts