1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Packers didnt want Favre Back?

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by Tiger, Mar 4, 2008.

1. Tiger

Tiger Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
  2. cheesey

cheesey Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    I don't think it's true.
    But who knows?

3. tromadz

tromadz Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3
    I call BS.

4. wils0646

wils0646 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1
    No:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3276034

5. porky88

porky88 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Of course a lot of conspiracy theorist will be posting a bunch of things like that but I don't think anything could stop Favre from wanting to play the game. If wanted to play, he'd be back regardless.

6. Veretax

Veretax Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6
    I concur with that. If he wanted to play he would. The Espn Article says that Favre said if he came back, anything less then a Super Bowl is a failure. And he's right, now that they made it to the Championship game, if he didn't repeat and win this year, and make it to the SB (let alone lose in the SB) then its not the best way to go out.

7. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +3,477
    Might be VERY wrong there...

8. MassPackersFan

MassPackersFan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I heard some rumor that MM/TT didn't try hard enough to convince him to come back. IMO it wouldn't have been right to push him to return. Let him make his own decision. Respect it.

9. rmayer32

rmayer32 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    No chance they'd "not" want him back.. not a chance in hell IMO

10. Zombieslayer

Zombieslayer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    The conspiracy theories exist because they sell. It's simply that.

People will click on the site and people will link to the site. Those sites get clicks and they make money from advertising.

The truth just isn't as exciting as those conspiracy lies.

11. Greg C.

Greg C. Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    That's where I'm at with it as well. I don't think coaches and GM's are obligated to lobby for their players to return. When Thompson and McCarthy first came here, it was different. Favre needed that assurance that he wasn't being squeezed out, and apparently he got it. But this year, there was not much to be said. He knew what kind of a team he would be coming back to. I take Favre at his word that he just didn't want to go through with it again.

12. joym13

joym13 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0

13. longtimefan

Ratings:
    +3,477
    From Mooch on the NFL network

Deanna was listening to the radio in the car and hearing all the things about Moss, etc., and Brett was just mad that people were saying such negative and off base things that his family had to hear.

14. Zombieslayer

Zombieslayer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I agree with this.

It was all crap and if I were Brett Favre and my family was hearing this crap, I'd be pissed.

15. Pack93z

Pack93z You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime

Ratings:
    +22
    Another reason that Mort gets a negative mark on the ole spreadsheet.. he ran with his thoughts and turned something in his mind into a story that other feed upon.. blood leeching SOB's.

16. PackCrazed4

PackCrazed4 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +187

Agreed. Who else recalls that article from Brett's friend at the Sun Herald who said at that point there was basically no doubt he wanted to come back and his daughters were telling him to? So why the change of heart? Maybe the Giants game? Or maybe something else? I definitely think with all the hype over TT not contacting Brett during the offseason telling Brett he wants him back holds some truth

17. longtimefan

Ratings:
    +3,477
    But I also quoted your thoughts on what Mooch thought on the moss thing

so which is it

moss, or not moss

lol

18. PackCrazed4

PackCrazed4 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +187

ha, well, Mooch says Moss wasn't much of a factor, I think it has something to do with it, but what I was getting at was the lack of support and communication between Brett and TT or others in the organization. Hey, let's just look at it from the fan basis. The last three years of these contemplation sessions, people have been posting support, making threads about asking him to come back. In 2005, every week I'd make a new myspace page of Brett, yes, it was obsessive, but it was a vulnerable time. But this year? What did we do? Nothing from what I can see. I think we were all just so sure he'd come back, we had such a confidence that no one bothered being concerned, not even the media. So maybe Brett didn't see the "confidence" or whatever and felt that the lack of attention was basically saying "hey, you can come back if you want, but we're not going to beg you to". I know Brett isn't supposed to be one for the limelight, but maybe he looks to the attention as signs.

I dunno, it's a theory

19. porky88

porky88 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    TT and Favre went to Mooch's father I believe funeral. I know he and Favre went to the Reggie White HOF induction or flew there. They're relationship wasn't that bad. When the media has nothing to do they report a lot of smoke. Funny you don't hear about it during the season.

If Favre wanted to keep playing and the Packers didn't want him, he'd tell them to trade him or cut him. I have no doubt in my mind. The idea that the Packers told Favre they didn't want him back is ridiculous in my opinion. It be one thing if Favre played poorly last year but he didn't.

20. NDPackerFan

NDPackerFan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +4
    I wonder what P@ck66 is doing right now.... :shock:

21. dannychau22

dannychau22 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
  22. Greg C.

Greg C. Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    It was Mariucci's mother's funeral, last August on the day of the exhibition game against the Seahawks. Favre, Thompson, and a Packer security guy flew to Iron Mountain to attend. I would've liked to have been a fly on the wall in that airplane. I'm inclined to think that Favre and Thompson like each other just fine and have respect for each other. I will believe that until I hear something different from one of them.

23. ftwuno

ftwuno Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    thanks tt

24. longtimefan

Ratings:
    +3,477
    Stories out there that Packers offered more for Moss then what he got in NE

25. yooperfan

yooperfan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    You hit it right on the head Z!!!!!!!!!!!!!