Packers defensive rookies week 2 breakdown

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope that Perry's not-so-stellar performance was as much due to a sore wrist as anything. Good to know that he can be effective at the speed rush, but it sounds like he has a ways to go on developing some other moves.

Hate to contrast him with the guy who was picked just before him in the draft: Chandler Jones. He has been an absolute beast so far for NE. He consistently beat the LT in the Cardinals game. They literally couldn't block him. If only. . . ./sigh

On the other hand our other rookies are looking great. I hope that Worthy can really be a force this year because we need him to be if Perry ends up being a work in progress.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I again caution about drawing conclusions about the play of the D vs. a bad OL.I do think his wrist has a lot to do with Perry’s play but also his learning curve is steep – he is playing a completely different position than he did in college. The only question I have about him is how dedicated he will be. I’m not saying he’s lacking in dedication, I just don’t know how dedicated he is and will be. I have the feeling the jump from year one to year two will tell the story for him even more than for others because of the position switch. The next offseason will give Perry the chance to pinpoint his training to shore up weak areas of his game – remember before the draft he trained as if he would be a DE in a 4-3. He’ll never be the pass rusher Clay is, but with his physical attributes, his upside is very exciting. While seeing the advance of the rookies – and others like House - next season should be very interesting, Capers is right: If they stay healthy, the rookies will be better at the end of this season and the D improved over where they are now.

Anyway, I really like the end zone shots the linked site uses. And they point out how important pre-snap deception is. It’s not only about matchups and schemes (although they’re important), from pre snap through whistle, an NFL play is a chess game in fast motion.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I hope that Perry's not-so-stellar performance was as much due to a sore wrist as anything. Good to know that he can be effective at the speed rush, but it sounds like he has a ways to go on developing some other moves.

Hate to contrast him with the guy who was picked just before him in the draft: Chandler Jones. He has been an absolute beast so far for NE. He consistently beat the LT in the Cardinals game. They literally couldn't block him. If only. . . ./sigh

On the other hand our other rookies are looking great. I hope that Worthy can really be a force this year because we need him to be if Perry ends up being a work in progress.

He did have a huge cast on his hand, I seen it from my seats as he was on the field

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Definitely not drawing conclusions on Perry yet ThxJack, just making a few observations. I'm thinking and hoping the wrist hampered Perry last game and that the injury is not serious.

My observation is that Chandler Jones is probably the more complete pass rusher right now and is comfortable in a 3-4 where, as you say, Perry has more adjustments to make. If Perry can be half the pass rusher Matthews is, that will probably be enough. In other words, if he can bring consistent pressure from his side when he's being blocked 1-on-1 that will be a big help to Matthews.

On a side note, great to see Erik Walden's improved play. Last year's off-the-field problems must have really got to him. He looked like he had zero intensity, but this year he looks ready to play. And how about Dez Moses?

On Perry's dedication, I think that if he continues to get enough playing time he'll be ok, but that means he'll have to show something. I also expect Perry to be a better OLB next year with a full season of experience and hard work in the off-season...if he wants it.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
On Perry's dedication, I think that if he continues to get enough playing time he'll be ok, but that means he'll have to show something. I also expect Perry to be a better OLB next year with a full season of experience and hard work in the off-season...if he wants it.

Just hope Dom is still here, or at very least we still run similar type of d

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Definitely not drawing conclusions on Perry yet ThxJack, just making a few observations.
Actually my comment about drawing conclusions wasn’t aimed at you or evaluations of Perry. It was aimed at being overly optimistic about the play of the other rookies on defense “vs. a bad OL”. That sentence should have been a paragraph to distinguish it from my comments on Perry.

Going into the 2011 season I was optimistic about Walden and Zombo’s play at OLB opposite Clay. After all they were good enough to win it all and Walden had a great game against the Bears late in the season. Brad Jones (who I’ve never been excited about) was also in the mix. So I understood why that spot wasn’t targeted in the draft (until the 6th round) and thought in-season complaints about not addressing it were hindsight. What a great development that after Thompson addressed OLB big time in the draft and after "recruiting" Moses, Walden is rejuvenated and looks like their second best pass rushing OLB. Walden had to get his domestic situation straightened out and I’ll bet his time reflecting in a jail cell has something to do with his improved play.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/packers-walden-gets-life-in-order-e16ufhs-170613906.html

Moses is another UDFA success story that will help attract future UDFAs. He hasn’t recorded a sack yet but he is one of five LBs in Capers’ psycho package – and he’s in the rotation to keep everyone fresh. The Packers have definitely upgraded their pass rush from the OLB spot IMO by 1) moving Clay to ROLB, the premier pass rushing spot in Capers’ D; 2) Acquiring Perry whose natural strength made the switch of Clay back to ROLB an obvious option – and of course we haven’t seen the best of Perry; 3) Sticking with Walden even after a bad 2011 season and off field problems; and 4) having a policy in place of giving everyone, even UDFAs, a chance to make the team and contribute.

What I expect from Perry in the off season is for him to work on improving his quickness to improve his pass rush and his flexibility - particularly in his hips – to improve his coverage skills. Along with working on different pass rushing techniques, if he does that while maintaining his strength he can be scary-good.

H

HardRightEdge

Actually my comment about drawing conclusions wasn’t aimed at you or evaluations of Perry. It was aimed at being overly optimistic about the play of the other rookies on defense “vs. a bad OL”. That sentence should have been a paragraph to distinguish it from my comments on Perry.

Going into the 2011 season I was optimistic about Walden and Zombo’s play at OLB opposite Clay. After all they were good enough to win it all and Walden had a great game against the Bears late in the season. Brad Jones (who I’ve never been excited about) was also in the mix. So I understood why that spot wasn’t targeted in the draft (until the 6th round) and thought in-season complaints about not addressing it were hindsight. What a great development that after Thompson addressed OLB big time in the draft and after "recruiting" Moses, Walden is rejuvenated and looks like their second best pass rushing OLB. Walden had to get his domestic situation straightened out and I’ll bet his time reflecting in a jail cell has something to do with his improved play.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/packers/packers-walden-gets-life-in-order-e16ufhs-170613906.html

Moses is another UDFA success story that will help attract future UDFAs. He hasn’t recorded a sack yet but he is one of five LBs in Capers’ psycho package – and he’s in the rotation to keep everyone fresh. The Packers have definitely upgraded their pass rush from the OLB spot IMO by 1) moving Clay to ROLB, the premier pass rushing spot in Capers’ D; 2) Acquiring Perry whose natural strength made the switch of Clay back to ROLB an obvious option – and of course we haven’t seen the best of Perry; 3) Sticking with Walden even after a bad 2011 season and off field problems; and 4) having a policy in place of giving everyone, even UDFAs, a chance to make the team and contribute.

What I expect from Perry in the off season is for him to work on improving his quickness to improve his pass rush and his flexibility - particularly in his hips – to improve his coverage skills. Along with working on different pass rushing techniques, if he does that while maintaining his strength he can be scary-good.

Perry looks like a DE playing OLB, which is to be expected. Whether or not he makes the transition is an open book. Some of these conversions work out; some evolve into mere situational/rotation players or are let go or traded into a 4-3.

Learning new techniques is certainly an issue, but it's more mental than physical, and a matter of reps. Perry's Combine numbers indicate he has the physical tools. The issue is the game looks very different off the line with your hand out of the dirt. The orientation from the line with responsibilities all in front of you in confined space is quite different from the forward-and-backward in space at LB. He has the quickness; but indecision/lack of confidence kills it. Unfortunately, there's no substitute for live game action to learn the trade.

Personally, I would not have taken this risk with a first round pick. I hope to be proven wrong.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts