Packers Defense ranked #1 in the NFL after 11 Games ...

Quientus

Oenophile
Reaction score
Click Here ...

The "funny" thing is though ... notice which teams are leading the defense rankings ? Then compare how "well" they are doing overall ...

Yet another "stat" that by itself is impressive, however, when looking into the context it completely falls apart ...

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's still impressive, though. No matter how you put it, if your defense is the best in yards allowed, you have a good defense, there's no arguing there.

However, we're the 12th defense in points allowed.

I think, it you add both, and also the fact that we're the dead last team in ST play, you'll find out that teams need less yards to score on us than we need to score on them... Against lesser teams, that's no problem. But against great teams, it's though.

That's why I say that if we can get to a level that our ST doesn't kill us every game, we'll be fine.

NYPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Sorry but I have to agree with Quientus on this one, the packers being the number one defense currently is based on inflated stats. We just beat out one of the worst offenses in the league to move up into that category. What would our ranking be if we went up against a decent one like the Falcons or the Giants?

Packerfury

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ya I mean I'm definitely not going to say were first in the league in d, but I think that we are top ten in d (8 or 9 I'd say). Our special teams is horrid. People drive 30 yards and they can kick a field goal every time it seems like...

CM_Awesome

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's why they do the rankings based on yards and not points. Because there are other factors that go into giving up points other than Defensive play. You really wanna fault the Defense for having to defend many drives that start in Green Bay territory? I bet if our ST was anywhere near decent we would be in the top 3 in points allowed.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's why they do the rankings based on yards and not points. Because there are other factors that go into giving up points other than Defensive play. You really wanna fault the Defense for having to defend many drives that start in Green Bay territory? I bet if our ST was anywhere near decent we would be in the top 3 in points allowed.
I think a better balance is both YPG combined with redzone stats... Which I can't find anywhere. If someone do, please provide it.

But the point is that this Defense is really good, and it is. Their only bad stats are sacks, which they're the 17th D, with 23, and a really bad passing scoring D, with 21 TDs, good for 28th.

But they're 6th in passing yards.

4th in rushing yards, and 1st in rushing tds.

And the most important of all, in my opinion 2nd in takeaways with 27. That, combined with being the best team in giveaways, gives us a +17 turnover margin, good for 1st in the league.

The talk about being the best D IMHO is irrelevant. The important thing, and which the stats demonstrate, is that this is a great defense, unlike last year. I don't know if it's dominant enough to win games, but it's good enough to keep us in every game, which has been the case so far.

dansz15

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's still impressive, though. No matter how you put it, if your defense is the best in yards allowed, you have a good defense, there's no arguing there.

However, we're the 12th defense in points allowed.

I think, it you add both, and also the fact that we're the dead last team in ST play, you'll find out that teams need less yards to score on us than we need to score on them... Against lesser teams, that's no problem. But against great teams, it's though.

That's why I say that if we can get to a level that our ST doesn't kill us every game, we'll be fine.

If ST showed up to some of those games I think GB would of won a few more a little bit more comfortably. It seems to be the story of the Pack for as long as I can remember, just garbage ST. Blackmon being hurt kills them but I don't expect him back again, not after this injury and another season hurt.

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
I'd say we are an OK Defense, but to be truly dominating you need a great pass rush which is totally missing on this D.

Also as stated with ST giving up yardage the other teams have less yards to go to score so simply yards per game is jimmied a bit.

Still cool to see we are on the right track. Get the pass rush started, and we'll have something good there on D.

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We have a good defense and have improved a lot since last year. But it is over the top to put a number one ranking on them. We may be ranked number one under some formulas but there are many formulas or equations out there.

Bottom line we played the lions twice, chicago, Browns, Rams, and Tampa. Over half of our schedule is the NFL's worst teams. All our stats to a certain degree should have an "*" next to them.

There is a lot of football to be played. Some great games where both team's playoff hopes are on the line. I could careless what stats or rankings we have up until this point. If you start at Dallas and use the next 2 games will give us a better understanding how this defense ranks among playoff contenders.

Again I am thrilled about the improvement our defense has made, but this number one stuff is just foolishness.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We have a good defense and have improved a lot since last year. But it is over the top to put a number one ranking on them. We may be ranked number one under some formulas but there are many formulas or equations out there.

Bottom line we played the lions twice, chicago, Browns, Rams, and Tampa. Over half of our schedule is the NFL's worst teams. All our stats to a certain degree should have an "*" next to them.

There is a lot of football to be played. Some great games where both team's playoff hopes are on the line. I could careless what stats or rankings we have up until this point. If you start at Dallas and use the next 2 games will give us a better understanding how this defense ranks among playoff contenders.

Again I am thrilled about the improvement our defense has made, but this number one stuff is just foolishness.
I totally understand what you're saying, but there were no asteriscs last year in Pittsburgh's #1 defense for playing both the Browns and the terrible, Palmerless Bengals last year.

How good is up to question, but there's no asteriscs that can discredit that this is a good defense.

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Its only one defensive category, but still very impressive. I guess any improvement in defense is good though.

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I totally understand what you're saying, but there were no asteriscs last year in Pittsburgh's #1 defense for playing both the Browns and the terrible, Palmerless Bengals last year.

How good is up to question, but there's no asteriscs that can discredit that this is a good defense.

I agree with you that there is no asterisks to the Steelers defense because they won the super bowl. The Pack has the remaining 5 games of the season and a playoff run to show how good we are.

I would disagree with you that if the season ended today you would have to put an "*" next to that #1 ranking of the Packer defense. I would have done the same (in theory) if the Steelers season ended the same time 5 games before the playoffs. The Steelers validated their number 1 ranking by winning the super bowl.

doughsellz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is preseason all over again. Everyone's high on a few good D showings against some very poor offensive teams. How'd it work out for us against a top-flight offense? In 4 losses the D has given up an average of 32 points per game, MN twice, CIN & TAM. With no pass rush we'd be on the wrong side of a forty-burger against the Colts or Saints.

That TAM game has still got me baffled. Everyone else holds them to 14 or fewer but that day they looked like world beaters against our D.

The one bright spot for our D is the inexplicable lone TD DAL was held to which launched the current 3-game winning streak. I know we've shut out two teams but the fact that DAL followed that up with another single TD effort against WAS on their home turf goes a long way in telling how GB was able to dominate them. They were a mess for a few weeks there & it took a high-emotion Turkey Day outing against a doormat (SEA) for them to get back on track.

GB appears to be able to stop the run fairly well & Ray Rice should find it difficult to get on track with a traditional ground offensive. However, John Harbaugh used screens very effectively with Rice against MN & nearly pulled off a key win in MN a few weeks back. Couple our LBs struggles in pass coverage with a poor pass rush & that may be the un-doing of our D next Monday.

This should be a good learning experience for where our D wants to be in the coming months as an aggressive 3-4 D. The Ravens can make a QB wish it was the off-season.

Let's see, GB lost twice to MN, MN lost to PIT & PIT just lost to BAL. In this crazy league that just might mean GB unloads a forty-burger on MNF. That will more than make up for the last time Rodgers played in a MNF game against the Ravens. 12.19.05 in Baltimore, Rodgers was 8 of 15 passing for 65 yards & an INT in relief of #4 in 48-3 rout. He was sacked 3 times & wound up with a passer rating of 36.8

angryguy77

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This is preseason all over again. Everyone's high on a few good D showings against some very poor offensive teams. How'd it work out for us against a top-flight offense? In 4 losses the D has given up an average of 32 points per game, MN twice, CIN & TAM. With no pass rush we'd be on the wrong side of a forty-burger against the Colts or Saints.

That TAM game has still got me baffled. Everyone else holds them to 14 or fewer but that day they looked like world beaters against our D.

The one bright spot for our D is the inexplicable lone TD DAL was held to which launched the current 3-game winning streak. I know we've shut out two teams but the fact that DAL followed that up with another single TD effort against WAS on their home turf goes a long way in telling how GB was able to dominate them. They were a mess for a few weeks there & it took a high-emotion Turkey Day outing against a doormat (SEA) for them to get back on track.

GB appears to be able to stop the run fairly well & Ray Rice should find it difficult to get on track with a traditional ground offensive. However, John Harbaugh used screens very effectively with Rice against MN & nearly pulled off a key win in MN a few weeks back. Couple our LBs struggles in pass coverage with a poor pass rush & that may be the un-doing of our D next Monday.

This should be a good learning experience for where our D wants to be in the coming months as an aggressive 3-4 D. The Ravens can make a QB wish it was the off-season.

Let's see, GB lost twice to MN, MN lost to PIT & PIT just lost to BAL. In this crazy league that just might mean GB unloads a forty-burger on MNF. That will more than make up for the last time Rodgers played in a MNF game against the Ravens. 12.19.05 in Baltimore, Rodgers was 8 of 15 passing for 65 yards & an INT in relief of #4 in 48-3 rout. He was sacked 3 times & wound up with a passer rating of 36.8

Preseason all over again is right on. I funny how some forget who we played and who we lost against and think this team is going to make noise if it makes the playoffs.

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I agree this #1 cheering is foolishness if you have actually watched the games. That said I think our defense is better than what we showed when we were 4-4. Time of possession and field position where working heavily against our defense, totally out of their hands. Our offense and special teams play were doing our defense no favors.

We started to win once MM started taking into account time of possession and field position in his play calling, instead of forcing this high powered offense he wanted to run, which we scored fast but left our defense in bad situations when the offense failed.

If we play a steady and controled offensive game plan, being conservative at times protecting field position, we have a chance against the Ravens. Thats the same way I feel if by a long shot we face the vikings again.

The biggest question mark on our team right now is special teams.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Washington 7th D in yards and 10th in PPG...

And Baltimore plays more 4-3 fronts that 3-4...

Just saying...

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's cut to the chase here. Is anybody really confident that Brett Favre or Peyton Manning or Drew Brees or Tom Brady couldn't steamroll the Packers defense 9 times out of 10? If not, the #1 ranking means jack squat.

Hate to get all factual and stuff and ****** in the Kool-Aid jug, but let's be real here.

CM_Awesome

Cheesehead
Reaction score

You do realize Rodgers was an inexperienced rookie in 2005?

CM_Awesome

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's cut to the chase here. Is anybody really confident that Brett Favre or Peyton Manning or Drew Brees or Tom Brady couldn't steamroll the Packers defense 9 times out of 10? If not, the #1 ranking means jack squat.

Hate to get all factual and stuff and ****** in the Kool-Aid jug, but let's be real here.

Let's be real eh? Well it's a fact that we are # 1 in Defense. Whether you like that fact or not is irrelevant.

doughsellz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Let's be real eh? Well it's a fact that we are # 1 in Defense. Whether you like that fact or not is irrelevant.

#1 defenses shouldn't get torched for 7 TDs in 2 games by a 40-year-old QB. What matters is not a temporal ranking during a 3-game span of a 16 game season, but a final ranking come February.

Sure we can hang our hats on this as fans for a week or two but will this ranking do anything but inspire other teams to be that much more determined to make that ranking meaningless?

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
#1 defenses shouldn't get torched for 7 TDs in 2 games by a 40-year-old QB. What matters is not a temporal ranking during a 3-game span of a 16 game season, but a final ranking come February.

Sure we can hang our hats on this as fans for a week or two but will this ranking do anything but inspire other teams to be that much more determined to make that ranking meaningless?
It's a temporal ranking during an 11-game span, including both against the Vikings.

And FootballOutsiders.com also ranks us as #1 Defense, not just on yards, and they do take into account opponents' strengths.

But I agree with your take, if it matters...

Members online

Latest posts