Packers dead last in production from 1st-round pick since 2010

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date
Reaction score
And lets look at production of the later draft picks and undrafted free agents. I bet we are top 5, if not 1st place.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And lets look at production of the later draft picks and undrafted free agents. I bet we are top 5, if not 1st place.

Which is why i dont understand why so many ppl are opposed to trading picks. If TT is so "successful " finding gems in the later rds or via undrafted then why not? Why not get a guy whos proven.

Reaction score
Which is why i dont understand why so many ppl are opposed to trading picks. If TT is so "successful " finding gems in the later rds or via undrafted then why not? Why not get a guy whos proven.
Exactly. Just look at our 2010 free agent... He's now our #1 priority to sign this off season and turning into a shut down corner!

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Problem with looking at later picks is that the bar isn't very high. Yeah, our later round picks have worked out better than most teams but that just means our later picks are still on the team or averages starters (exception of Shields). First round draft picks are the guys that carry a team deep in the playoffs. As a general rule, the ceiling is exponentially higher on a first round player than a fourth round player which is the problem this team now faces on defense; our defense is full of mediocre players with only one truly elite player (and that guy can't stay healthy).

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

That is true for the offense, where Rodgers was the only starter who was a first round pick last season. Aside of Shields the Packers didn´t draft or sign undrafted players that worked out that well on defense though.

Ace

Cheesehead
Reaction score

What is the reasoning for the quotation marks here? Do you dispute this?

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Problem with looking at later picks is that the bar isn't very high. Yeah, our later round picks have worked out better than most teams but that just means our later picks are still on the team or averages starters (exception of Shields). First round draft picks are the guys that carry a team deep in the playoffs. As a general rule, the ceiling is exponentially higher on a first round player than a fourth round player which is the problem this team now faces on defense; our defense is full of mediocre players with only one truly elite player (and that guy can't stay healthy).

No, good players carry you deep into the playoffs. The draft status has nothing to do with it. If Shields was a 1st round pick, nobody would be complaining. What does it matter if he was a street FA acquisition? Granted, the higher the pick, the more likely you should hit, but after the draft, what does it matter?

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No, good players carry you deep into the playoffs. The draft status has nothing to do with it. If Shields was a 1st round pick, nobody would be complaining. What does it matter if he was a street FA acquisition? Granted, the higher the pick, the more likely you should hit, but after the draft, what does it matter?

Higher round draft picks tend to have higher ceilings than later round picks. It's just the nature of why guys are drafted in the first round vs fourth round. Now, I would agree that QB doesn't necessarily follow that rule but QB is a position that's not as dependent on physical attributes as other positions on the field.

I'm not saying that late round picks can't be good players. Just that a good first round pick is better than a good third round pick because the bar is lower on the third round pick than on the first round pick.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He is the heart and soul of one of the best defenses in the country. He won defensive player of the week honors 11 out of 12 weeks on a stacked Alabama team. Coaches say its like having another coach on the field. He will give us several things: Discipline, Leadership, and attitude. I expect he will be gone before our pick, even with the injury risk. He will be an immediate impact player wherever he goes.

I just agree with what a few others have posted here. It really is less common for these players to come out and end up being who we thought they were, than them actually being the players people thought. I'm to the point that I believe it when I see it. All of the data we see when we break this down from past draft history suggests much of the talk will in fact be off base.

I remember it just like it was yesterday, seeing clips of A.J. Hawk making all kinds of plays in college. Wow, what a play maker somebody was getting.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I just agree with what a few others have posted here. It really is less common for these players to come out and end up being who we thought they were, than them actually being the players people thought. I'm to the point that I believe it when I see it. All of the data we see when we break this down from past draft history suggests much of the talk will in fact be off base.

I remember it just like it was yesterday, seeing clips of A.J. Hawk making all kinds of plays in college. Wow, what a play maker somebody was getting.
Nothing is guaranteed. You look, assess, and make a decision based on whatever information you can find. We are a huge step behind the pros in that we don't have access to character/personality issues. Word is that Johnny Manzel hurt his stock with his attitude. Apparently, according to one source, he thinks highly of himself and puts himself ahead of the team. This is one guys opinion and who knows what his objective was.

Anyway, in pre-flop poker, you are never guaranteed a win, regardless of how strong your hole cards are. That being said, I prefer to be holding pocket aces as opposed to holding 2-7 off suit. And Mosley is pocket kings. Not perfect, but pretty damn strong.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just doing the math, this is 4 seasons worth of #1 picks.

Let's play What-If.
If could do-over, who you would pick NOW instead.

2010 Bryan Bulaga
Dez Bryant or Jerry Hughes.

2011 Derek Sherrod
Richard Sherman, Kyle Rudolph, Brooks Reed, or Colin Kaepernick

2012 Nick Perry
Harrison Smith, Bobby Wagner, or even Doug Martin, Alshon Jeffrey

2013 Datone Jones
Safeties Matt Elam or Jonathon Cyprien, or Cordarrelle Patterson. ILB Kiko Alonso went Rd 2, was All-Rookie

Now let me say this in defense of Ted.
I know some say Perry is out of position, and he himself voiced his preference for being a DE over an OLB (so TT deserves blame for that), but I think all of his picks, those guys, are GOOD guys who could outplay their draft position if not for injuries.
That injury thing is not an excuse. It's valid.

And even if we could redo it and come away with Dez Bryant, Richard Sherman, Harrison Smith, and Kiko Alonso, they would have all most likely, amazingly, suffered a bunch of torn ACL's and ripped hamstrings, broken backs, necks, etc. if they were on our team.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Let's play What-If.

2010 Bryan Bulaga

2011 Derek Sherrod

2012 Nick Perry

2013 Datone Jones
Safeties Matt Elam or Jonathon Cyprien, or Cordarrelle Patterson. ILB Kiko Alonso went Rd 2, was All-Rookie

I know some say Perry is out of position, and he himself voiced his preference for being a DE over an OLB (so TT deserves blame for that), but I think all of his picks, those guys, are GOOD guys who could outplay their draft position if not for injuries.

And even if we could redo it and come away with Dez Bryant, Richard Sherman, Harrison Smith, and Kiko Alonso, they would have all most likely, amazingly, suffered a bunch of torn ACL's and ripped hamstrings, broken backs, necks, etc. if they were on our team.

Hughes, Sherman, Smith, Patterson

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
What if posters posted who they would have picked within a week or so of the actual picks?

BorderRivals.com

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Let's play What-If.

2010 Bryan Bulaga

2011 Derek Sherrod

2012 Nick Perry

2013 Datone Jones

I'd still take Bulaga. He was instrumental in getting to the SB and winning it. We don't lack talent at WR. And Dez is a headache. Hughes has had one good season.

I can't believe you're including Sherman in this discussion. He was a 5th rounder! Every team passed on him multiple times. Hindsight is great, but come on. Be realistic. And Sherrod seemed like a logical choice. We were all pumped to have back-to-back 1st rounders to bookend the line for the future. Injuries are an unfortunate byproduct of the game.

And last year - come on. One year is WAY too soon to make a judgment. Plus, those safeties are nothing special so far. And Patterson couldn't beat out Joe Webb for snaps for most of the season! He made his damage in ST and trick plays. Far from a proven WR though.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What if posters posted who they would have picked within a week or so of the actual picks?

That's what I've been saying all along. Everyone is an expert after the fact years later right? This type of arm chair crap is nauseating.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He is the heart and soul of one of the best defenses in the country. He won defensive player of the week honors 11 out of 12 weeks on a stacked Alabama team. Coaches say its like having another coach on the field. He will give us several things: Discipline, Leadership, and attitude. I expect he will be gone before our pick, even with the injury risk. He will be an immediate impact player wherever he goes.

And his chances of being there at #21 are pretty slim :(

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's what I've been saying all along. Everyone is an expert after the fact years later right? This type of arm chair crap is nauseating.

Most of us aren't paid millions of dollars to do nothing but evaluate players...

Reaction score
That is true for the offense, where Rodgers was the only starter who was a first round pick last season. Aside of Shields the Packers didn´t draft or sign undrafted players that worked out that well on defense though.
Micah Hyde? Casey Hayward? Can't rule out Chris Banjo either.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's not an exact science. Even those guys who get paid millions only get it right 1/3 of the time....

I understand that. My point was that fans on a forum site shouldn't be held to the same standard as a guy that's paid millions to do his job. The guy that is paid millions to do his job is paid that much to do his job well. If he screws up then he's well enough compensated that he should be open to criticism.

NOMOFO

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I understand that. My point was that fans on a forum site shouldn't be held to the same standard as a guy that's paid millions to do his job. The guy that is paid millions to do his job is paid that much to do his job well. If he screws up then he's well enough compensated that he should be open to criticism.

Absolutely... I have "complaints" about TT in certain areas and on certain topics. The difference is being honest and realistic about it.

For Packer fans to post names of guys that the rest of the NFL also passed on, like Sherman and others like him, speaks volumes about how a "fan" is doing nothing more than trying to hate on TT. ...and like this BS thread suggesting something is "alarming" when it has nothing more to do with than injuries. It's nothing more than attempting to fabricate BS to make somebody look bad.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

For Packer fans to post names of guys that the rest of the NFL also passed on, like Sherman and others like him, speaks volumes about how a "fan" is doing nothing more than trying to hate on TT. ...and like this BS thread suggesting something is "alarming" when it has nothing more to do with than injuries. It's nothing more than attempting to fabricate BS to make somebody look bad.

Injuries aren 't the reason for the Packers being last in this category. Taking a look at the number of starts per game played by the four rookies, the Packers are still dead last (although three of the four guys drafted actually play a position where the best players normally start and play most of the game).

Anybody not realizing the Packers haven't done great in the first round sonce drafting Matthews in 2009 isn't all that much into reality.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts