Packers D

TheDesertFox

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In past years, we had a defense very prone to giving up the big play.

We must be one of the best defenses in the NFL this year in preventing the big play. I honestly don't remember many; the only one for a touchdown I remember that was kind of big was the Gonzalez one.

Packerfan4Life

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: One thing I really love about our defense

We must be one of the best defenses in the NFL this year in preventing the big play. I honestly don't remember many; the only one for a touchdown I remember that was kind of big was the Gonzalez one.

That was definitely our cancer the previous years...Marquand Manuel, swear to god, was paid before the game by the opposing teams offensive coordinator to intentionally allow pass plays of 35+ yards down the field. One things that helps us is the speed of Nick Collins, who I've seen make great tackles downfield (ex. Adrian Peterson in the first GB MIN matchup, even though he was drug 10 yards), and relatively smart play of Atari Bigby, NOT TO MENTION the stellar play of our bump and run corners, 21 and 31, disrupting routes at the LOS.

That's the definition of our bend, don't break defense. You do what you do, we'll do what we do. And we'll punch you in the mouth while you're at it

OP
OP
T

TheDesertFox

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Loading up the box

Do you think their passing attack is weak enough that we can fill up the box for most of the game to shut down their running game? I'd love to make Manning throw the ball, especially if we can get some pressure on him.

The ground game is the only thing that worries me. If we can shut down their running attack, I think it is already game over.

cyoung

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Loading up the box

They have developed a pretty good passing attack last couple weeks (atleast what I saw against Dallas). A pressured Manning however can throw many pick or bad passes.

Danreb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Loading up the box

That's what Tampa Bay did. They got killed.

Of course, the Packers have better corners and a better offense.

Danreb

Cheesehead
Reaction score
One thing I really love about our defense

We let Greg Olsen, Desmond Clark, Terrell Owens, Antonio Gates, and Steven Jackson have all sorts of big plays against us.

Notice how most of them are tight ends, and all of them are strong.

That means somebody as weak.

But yeah, Plaxico Burress is nursing an injury, Amani Toomer is old, and Kevin Boss is not Jeremy Shockey. But that isn't to say Brandon Jacobs isn't posed to have a big game.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Loading up the box

Plax is hurting and struggled getting off the line anytime he was pressed.. with our style it is probable that we press him and really limit the depth he can get.

Toomer and Smith are pretty decent recievers so the Nickel, Williams or Blackmon, will need to play a pretty good game.

Boss isn't Shockey, but don't under estimate him.. I think he might turn in a pretty good game so he will occupy Poppinga's attention. That leave us Barnett and Hawk to read and react to pass vs run. I like your chances to stuff the run early and force them to play pass.. as long as we can keep the pressure on the Giants I think we can force them to rely on the pass to win this game.

One more thing.. I think Bradshaw will be the one to be wary of... can break off a big one.. Jacobs not so much.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The improvement this defense has made under McCarthy and his staff has been outstanding. We went from being a very overrated defense in 05 to being one of the best pass rushing defenses in 06 with a playmaker in Charles Woodson. Now the Pack have a complete defense top to bottom in 07. The run defense is stout as long as Ryan Pickett is in there. The pass rush is solid. The linebackers keep getting better and Bigby is emerging as another playmaker in the secondary. I couldn't be happier with the defense. We've gone from giving up big plays to containing star players.

uwbadger12000

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Steven Jackson had a 50 or so yd. TD.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Considering how much better this defense is than any of Mike Sherman's defenses, it's kind of surprising that many of the key players were drafted by Sherman. This includes three of our best D-linemen (Kampman, Jenkins, and Williams), our best LB (Barnett), and arguably our best DB (Harris). The linemen were mid-round picks, Barnett was a not-very-popular first round pick, and Harris was relatively unknown and acquired for a second round pick.

So it can't be said that Sherman was a total disaster. He just didn't get ENOUGH good players. There were always at least a couple of weak links. This year, the defensive talent is a lot better from players 1-11 than it has been since the Super Bowl years.