Packers D, does it still have a long ways to go?

Reaction score
I was all set to watch tonights pre-season match, and form an opinion on how far the D has left. Unfortunatly, the basement got flooded (due to heavy rain) and that took up most of my time. The few moments from time to time in which I got to see the match, I thought that our DT's got no rush, Earl Little be all over the place and make plays, and Roy Manning make a few good plays. How far do you think the D has left to go? By the looks of it tonight, its still a work very much in progress, and a pass rush would help alot. (I could be wrong, due to my lack of ability to watch the game)

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes, they do have a long way to go. The special teams allowed two big returns early, which put the defense in a bad position and led to scores by Buffalo, so it wasn't all their fault. I thought they looked okay early even though Buffalo scored. Barnett, Thompson, and Earl Little each made some good plays. You are right that the DT's got no rush. There was some rush off the edges, but Losman was able to scramble and buy time because nobody collapsed the pocket. Hawkins and Carroll seemed to cover their guys well, although there was one play where Carroll gave his guy a ten-yard cushion on third and seven, which was pretty irritating. Not a good performance by the defense overall. I agree about Manning. I like him. Depth is a concern on both sides of the ball, because Buffalo's second and third teams badly outplayed Green Bay's.

Good luck with your basement.

Favreforever721

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, but 5 starters and possibly one starter(Joey Thomas) were out of the game. They were:

Na'il Diggs
Mark Roman
Grady Jackson
Cletius Hunt
Al Harris
Joey Thomas

5 of them are veterans.. :shrug:

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not only are our starters not very good, their backups are pathetic. What I think we're seeing is that it's not the coaching, it's the talent. GM Sherman drafted bad players. He has left this team in dire straights talent-wise.

OP
OP
A
Reaction score
Packedhouse01, you do raise an interesting point. We saw this with KC last year, in which they got a new Defensive co-ordinator, but they kept the same players. Needless to say, their D was awful. And this might be unfolding here all over again. Hopefully that isn't the case, but you have to admit, the lack of DT depth is a bit worrying. We are young, and hopefully the talent matures, and quick time.

Greg, thanks. Actually, we got insurance, so we should be covered for repair costs and everything. :mrgreen: And chick, we will probably be moving back to an apartment sometime soon. And after incidents like this after the rain, (wow... it was surreal, over 1 million in damages in Toronto alone! :shock:) I can't say i won't be glad.

wpr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wish I could have seen the game. I had to work so I Sgt Schultz I saw nothing.
TOO BAD DA PACK YOU ARE A WATER BOY IN MORE PLACES THAN ON THIS BOARD.

wpr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
LOL!!! :lol: Man wpr, thanks alot... I really needed a good joke to brigten the day... er night.

I figured you would. I had my basement white capping once not twice myself.
So i intentionally didn't discuss the insureance issue with you. Being an agent I didn't want to depress you.
good luck :cross:

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've added comment over on the Bills vs. Packers thread - You guys need to go read that....

Were any of you really.... watching the game - or just going thru the motions?

Go read....

ORRELSE

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IPBprez said:
I've added comment over on the Bills vs. Packers thread - You guys need to go read that....

Were any of you really.... watching the game - or just going thru the motions?

Go read....

I'm holding any judgment until I get to see the game after work today. Replay on NFL Network is sitting on my TIVO right now. I listened to the whole game on my Sirius radio (Wayne and Larry rule :thumbsup: ) So I heard the game, but haven't been able to form an opinion of how I thought they played. I know ST sucked big-time.

BTW IPBprez, I pm'd you about the DVD.....

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lets reverse the question: if any team is missing six starters on defense, are they going to look like the number one unit?

If the backups are as good as the starters, wouldn't they be starters?

Given the situation, both the #1 offense and #1 defense didn't do too bad.

The special teams put the defense in horrible positions all night.

Remember the net truism: field position is more important than having a great defense. If the opponents only need to go 30 yards to the endzone, they likely will get at least 3 points. So does the defense suck, or the special teams put them in a bad position?

The problem with the special teams is that you can't put a unit together to practice each week because in training camp many players come and go.

What needs to happen now is the team needs to get healthy, and Sherman has to make some cuts so the starting units play together.

I wouldn't throw in the towel yet, folks.

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
net said:
Lets reverse the question: if any team is missing six starters on defense, are they going to look like the number one unit?

The special teams put the defense in horrible positions all night.

Remember the net truism: field position is more important than having a great offense.

What needs to happen now is the team needs to get healthy, and Sherman has to make some cuts so the starting units play together.

I wouldn't throw in the towel yet, folks.

Right on net & IPBprez! Some folks watch exhibition games looking for the wrong thing. The Special Teams got an F last night -- that needs to be fixed pronto. The Bills had the top special teams in the NFL last season but that is not any excuse -- it needs to be fixed now.

Our #1 matched well or better than their #1. After that the coaches want to put players in postitions to see how they react when real bullets are flying -- some responded well, others put a down payment on their airfare out of GB.

Rodgers is not ready for primetime, the 6 guys missing on defense hurt especially highlighting a drop off when we went to the reserves -- 6 of them were with the number 1's, which moved the 3's # 4's to play with the 2's.

agopackgo4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
I was all set to watch tonights pre-season match, and form an opinion on how far the D has left. Unfortunatly, the basement got flooded (due to heavy rain) and that took up most of my time. The few moments from time to time in which I got to see the match, I thought that our DT's got no rush, Earl Little be all over the place and make plays, and Roy Manning make a few good plays. How far do you think the D has left to go? By the looks of it tonight, its still a work very much in progress, and a pass rush would help alot. (I could be wrong, due to my lack of ability to watch the game)
Well to start out with they are young so I think right there that makes them have a ways to go. But what I am seeing and liking a LOT! is the fact that unlike last year when ever there a a pass completion there is always a packer DB on him or at leas close. Also they are tackleing better than last year. It's to me looking a lot better than last year.

OP
OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks WPR. Net, Bruce, and IPBPrez, I would agree that Bates deserves credit for at least having the players in position to make plays. However, I still think we need some good DT rushing in order to become better. However, I am really excited to see how the Pack perform when playing with Hunt, Jackson, Harris, Diggs in the Lineup. From watching Truluk, Little, Hawkins, Carroll, Thompson, Manning, Jenkins, and even Cole, I would think the D can make some strides.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why the attitude, IPBprez? You make a blanket criticism of everybody in this thread ("Were any of you...really - watching the game?") and then make us go to another thread to find out what you think. I did do that, and I don't see how my take is so much different from yours, except in the overall assessment. You said the defense played "amazing well" and I said that it "was not a good performance by the defense overall." I don't think that was such an outlandish statement considering that Buffalo pretty much ran them up and down the field. There WERE some positives, some of which I pointed out, but I believe that a defense that can't stop the opponent on third down is not succeeding in its mission. Also, quarterback scrambles count in the regular season as much as they count in the preseason. My answer to waterboy's question is still the same: The defense has a long way to go. I bet Mike Sherman and Jim Bates would agree with me on this one.

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IPBprez said:
As posted elsewhere.... NET and you too, Bruce -----

Is Bonamego the right man for the job?

I will reserve judgement and see what he does to correct these horrific breakdowns. The problem against Buffalo was clearly guys selling out on their assignments -- trying to make an impression. Well they made impressions alright, I would not want to be in the film room after the coaches have absorbed just how undisciplined a couple of guys played. No, let me change that, I would want to be in the film room as long as were not me or one of my boys getting raked slowly over the coals. With video they can run it every which way, so there are no excuses.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've been wondering about Bonamego too. The special teams really haven't been any better these past two seasons than they were when Novak was the special teams coach. I had some optimism after a good performance by the special teams last week, but they really slid back against Buffalo. I agree with Bruce that the failures last night were the fault of individual players and may not be a reflection on Bonamego. We need to see some improvement in the regular season, though.

Another thought is that maybe our second and third string players these past few years just haven't been good enough material for Bonamego to work with.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As far as questioning the Crew here - that's a right we all have...

And, in reading the flow of the first part of this thread - it does, in fact, like it or not, read as if you guys were watching some other game than what "I" watched yesterday. It wasn't an attitude, it was a question to gain everyone's attention - and since I did that, the focus of this thread has changed more to the tune of what the game was really all about. No one was threatened or intimidated to post their commentary after I raised that question. Not a one.

I still say Ray Thompson looked pretty good out there!

Like posted previously - since this is more than likely, the last year for Brett Favre - I'd really like to know if anyone has been, or will be, recording the games for 2005. If so, I'll purchase a stack of DVD-R's and mail em over to ya so I can get a copy of each and every game played this year - including pre-season efforts.

And, yes.. Greg - Your assessment pretty much mirrored my own... it was the overall tune of the thread and commentary by others that seemed to throw into a different zone... No one's banging anyone down about anything....

Can't wait to see if Sherman still has the moxie to make Belicheck look back like he has before...eh?

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
net said:

That's kind of how I felt. I got to watch the game tape delayed on the NFL channel without knowing the score when I sat down to watch it, until I accidentally seen it scroll across the bottom of the screen while watching the 1st quarter action. Doh! :shock:

When I seen the score I was kind of disappointed, but when I watched the rest of the game I felt better about it. I thought the defensive line held their own and didn't get pushed around as bad as the scrimmage against the Bills.

They had some big plays like the safety and a few others that were overturned because of penalties away from the ball.

And I thought they had some push up the middle in the pocket and applied some pressure on Losman, but he's pretty quick on his feet and you have to give him his due too.

Considering the injuries and the poor special teams, I wasn't too upset with the defense. I thought Thompson looked pretty quick out there to the ball too.

The offense on the other hand looked great it's one series with Favre, and pretty dismal the rest of the game without Favre. Rodgers didn't get the team past midfield, and he worked with the starters for a few series. It's probably a good thing he'll get a chance to sit behind Favre and learn instead of getting thrown to the wolves and having his confidence shot.

wpr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
IPBprez said:

Let's say he isn't just for a moment. How many Coaches and GMs have had the guts to cut loose a coach only 2 weeks into their preason schedule. And if a coach is cut loose how long is it going to take the players to adapt his new plays?
I will say this- I sure hated the mosh the players got into before kick off last year. Once or twice in a whole season is all they should do that. I don't see how that would confuse the kick return team. All you do is block the cover player who is in your lane (who ever that may be.) not look around for a specific player to block. It seemed to me all that dinking around did is put them in poor coverage position since they had to run farther and were late getting to their coverage positions.

Bruce

Cheesehead
Reaction score
wpr said:
IPBprez said:

Let's say he isn't just for a moment. How many Coaches and GMs have had the guts to cut loose a coach only 2 weeks into their preason schedule. And if a coach is cut loose how long is it going to take the players to adapt his new plays?
I will say this- I sure hated the mosh the players got into before kick off last year. Once or twice in a whole season is all they should do that. I don't see how that would confuse the kick return team. All you do is block the cover player who is in your lane (who ever that may be.) not look around for a specific player to block. It seemed to me all that dinking around did is put them in poor coverage position since they had to run farther and were late getting to their coverage positions.

Very good point wrp -- though I would call it the stupidity to try and make a change at this point -- it would be far too disruptive and too late to change the system completely.

Further, Bonamego was a huge success before coming to GB. I am not saying his coaching is above questioning -- no coaching is. But watching the game, it was individual breakdowns on GB's part coupled by outstanding execution by a very good Bill's special team unit.

Members online

Latest posts