Packers could be a suprising super bowl contender

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's nice to get some recognition from the media, but we all know this team is close to it. The thing is, for the past 3 years, we have always been close to it, only missing two, three pieces. We can win it in 09 if we get difference makers in areas of need in the draft, or we can adress some future areas of need (like cb) and be contenders in the future. Unless we get some guys to come in and help immediately in FA, which doesn't seems probable...

doughsellz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aaron rodgers is god said:
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=cr-nextyearscards031109&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

It was an entirely credible piece until I saw KC on the list.

The key comments from this regarding GB:

"There are still some free-agent bargains out there (as of 3/11/09) who could add some depth in the 3-4 scheme, but the Packers don’t seem to have a sense of urgency in their pursuit. That’s either a really good sign of the transition of the existing roster, or utter mismanagement by the front office – only time will tell."

The TT plan so far has been to build the confidence of current players & allow them to develop rather than bring in big-name FAs that may cause unrest & harm chemistry. That has worked to some degree especially in '07 but whether it's the right call to make while switching to the 3-4 in '09 remains to be seen.

"Defense: The switch to the 3-4 alignment under new defensive coordinator Dom Capers is going to be tricky. Capers is a quality assistant and should be an upgrade, but the personnel is a huge question mark – particularly defensive end-turned linebacker Aaron Kampman. No matter what the team says, there is no telling how Kampman will function as an outside linebacker (especially in coverage) until he gets on the field and has to do it against live competition. It might be November before we really know how well or poorly the scheme and players fit one another. The addition of safety Anthony Smith from the Steelers gives Green Bay a good veteran safety who knows the scheme, and that will help, but the Packers have been slow to add other pieces. Not being able to woo Chris Canty was a definite blow."

As for Kampman I'm a huge fan but he's being asked to learn new tricks as he approaches 30 years old.

He's gonna have to rely on instincts he started his football career with as a LB, although it's been almost 10 years since he played the position.

What he's got going for him is overall athleticism. He's been called "the most complete athlete I've ever coached" by his former position coach.

I've got confidence in Kampman being able to make this 3-4 transition quickest, moreso than any other GB defensive players.

Members online

Latest posts