• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

The problem is that other NFC teams have improved since then, not that we haven't been able to make due with what we have. Seattle, Carolina, Arizona, and SF of a few years ago could shut a team down while having the talent to hang a lot of points on them, while we haven't had that threat since 2010.

I'm sure the defensive unit will be good to very good this year, but not great, and without a coach to elevate their effectiveness during crucial moments, I will always be skeptical.

This thread is primarily about the Packers secondary and the team's starters for sure form one of the best units in the league.

It's true there are question marks about the defensive line and inside linebackers though.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The problem is that other NFC teams have improved since then, not that we haven't been able to make due with what we have. Seattle, Carolina, Arizona, and SF of a few years ago could shut a team down while having the talent to hang a lot of points on them, while we haven't had that threat since 2010.
Every year a new team rises to the top. When were those teams last at the top of the defensive rankings prior to that? Yeah, it is very tough to be that good consistently. Unless you come upon a Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, and Suggs all at the same time, it's very tough to be an elite defense year after year.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Every year a new team rises to the top. When were those teams last at the top of the defensive rankings prior to that? Yeah, it is very tough to be that good consistently. Unless you come upon a Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, and Suggs all at the same time, it's very tough to be an elite defense year after year.

The Seahawks defense has been consistently elite over the last four years leading the league in scoring in every single season during that span.

SoonerPack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Seahawks defense has been consistently elite over the last four years leading the league in scoring in every single season during that span.
I wish I could disagree but I'd be foolish to. They have sustained a very high level on the defensive side of that ball and I believe Zona has a chance of following suit. I really believe we are going to be pushing Top 10 points against this year which will make us very difficult to handle.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

I really believe we are going to be pushing Top 10 points against this year which will make us very difficult to handle.

The Packers finished 12th in points allowed last season so it's realistic to hope for the defense to finish in the top 10 in 2016. As long as the offense gets back on track I agree we will be tough to beat.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
The Packers finished 12th in points allowed last season so it's realistic to hope for the defense to finish in the top 10 in 2016. As long as the offense gets back on track I agree we will be tough to beat.
I agree and am encouraged that we've seen a considerable increase in 3 and outs over the last two years. Puts the offense in much more favorable field position and allows the defense to still have some gas in the tank by the 4th quarter.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

I agree and am encouraged that we've seen a considerable increase in 3 and outs over the last two years. Puts the offense in much more favorable field position and allows the defense to still have some gas in the tank by the 4th quarter.

It´s true the Packers created more three-and-outs last season. At 23.2%, ranking 12th in the league, there´s still some room for improvement though.

PackerDNA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This isn't a 'top' defense such as Seattle's or Denver's last season- not enough high level impact players. But it doesn't have to be if he offence returns to form.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I worry about depth. Rollins and Hyde are capable nickel backs and Gunter looks like a gamer in that spot but how will we look if Shields goes down again? It seems like we have the same problem at corner that we have at receiver, we have an abundance of inside guys who might not be effective playing outside the hash marks.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

I worry about depth. Rollins and Hyde are capable nickel backs and Gunter looks like a gamer in that spot but how will we look if Shields goes down again? It seems like we have the same problem at corner that we have at receiver, we have an abundance of inside guys who might not be effective playing outside the hash marks.

Rollins partly lined up on the outside last season and performed well. In addition Gunter is best suited to play on the perimeter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts