1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
  2. Announcement is LIVE: Read the Forum Post

packers.com announces cuts

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by billv, Sep 2, 2006.

1. Cory

Cory Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Would love to get Deion right now. Driver, Jennings, Branch works for me at WR.

2. thetombradyhater

thetombradyhater Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    actually it was reported that the Pats wanted 2 first round picks not 1 second so you can really get on Ted for not getting a deal done with the Pats

3. porky88

porky88 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not really bashing Thompson for that. I'm more so dreaming. New England is crazy though. They won't get a 1st for him. The best offer was from the Jets and I think the Patriots aren't going to trade him to a divsion rival. If Green Bay were to offer the same deal, I think New England would consider it before the Jets. Heck even a 2nd and 5th would be decent compensation.

4. pyledriver80

pyledriver80 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0

I see some decent recievers floating around

Calico, Gaffney, or even the Watts kid from Denver, AND lets not forget Taco Wallace!

5. Cory

Cory Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Watts is a good one I wouldn't mind bringing in, either. Forgot about him. Taco Wallace is gonna be snatched up too quickly. I bet he becomes the starter somewhere like...the cardinals :lol:

6. thetombradyhater

thetombradyhater Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I don't think the Pats would take a 2nd and 5th, their a very smart team and right now they have the leverage with branch.

7. SuperRat

SuperRat Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    The Patriots aren't going to trade Branch. They were offered a 2nd rounder and rumor is that their was a pretty decent player offered as well and the Patriots refused it. ProFootballTalk thinks that the Patriots just let Branch negotiate with other teams to show that Branch wasn't going to get as big of a contract as he was going for in contract negotiation renewal, but that plan backfired because Branch was offered a ton of money. I don't see any possibility whatsoever of Branch coming to the Packers.

8. porky88

porky88 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Neither do I but I think New England is going to lose that leverage fast. Chad Jackson has been a dissapointment and Troy Brown can't get it all done at his age. Ben Watson and Daniel Graham will be relied on heavily and their TE's. So letting Branch sit really does hurt them more than they think. I don't like to question New England but they're not the team they were 2 years ago. They've lost a lot of guys.

9. paxvogel

paxvogel Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I really liked Manning. From what I saw of Davenport in pre-season I was not surprised. I would like to see us pick up a\ OL and Fred Matua who was a guard on the USC team was cut by Vikings. Might be worth looking at although he was not rated that high in the draft. But we really need some experience on the OL and that is what we should look for. None of the others surprised me except maybe Peterson who was hurt in game and could have been put on PUP.

10. cyoung

cyoung Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    Gardner, Rodger, and Brewster getting cut to me is a surprise because I had atleast one of them in the roster. Davenport well I liked him and his injurys kind of ruined his chances so goodluck to him wherever he goes. Hawkins is gone so that means Jason Horton having to step up (that is if he plays). Hopefully The Packers will pick up another WR and maybe a good one at that :).

11. Cdnfavrefan

Cdnfavrefan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    A few queatsions. Do you think some of these releases were made to make space and money to bring in a different WR? I don't see this happening but with Henderson fighting injuries and Luchey cut yesterday any chance we bring him in?

12. pyledriver80

pyledriver80 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    No, I can't see it.

13. cyoung

cyoung Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2
    Yeah atleast Leach can block and I dont see Luckey doing too well, But I will admit he made some good receptions against Denver.

14. TomAllen

TomAllen Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Interesting that both FA WR's that TT brought in were both released...Gardner and Boreigter.

Interesting....

15. Cdnfavrefan

Cdnfavrefan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    TA I think I'm reading between the lines. lol Take it to the TT MS thread

16. Zero2Cool

Zero2Cool I own a website

Ratings:
    +8
    I think its good we have a GM who isn't afraid to admit he made a mistake. I think he showed that by cutting Cory Rodgers whom he drafted less than three months ago as well as cutting some guys he just signed this off season.

Shows me hes not perfect (no one is, cept favre of course...... ahem heh) and that he's wiling to do what it takes. He struck out on those guys, so he's gonna move on and look for something better.

17. recte44

recte44 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm of the opinion that one of the reasons TT likes to accumulate draft choices is because he can then afford to take gambles on high-risk/high-reward talents, and if they don't work out, it's easier to cut bait.

18. chibiabos

chibiabos Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    :eek: Think most posts are forgetting about Herron who apparently has done pretty well during pre-season.

19. DakotaT

DakotaT Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Excellent Chi

It wouldn't be beyond the realm of possibiltiies here that Davenport just had his a$$ beat out this year in TC. One thing I think some of us or all of us do is fall in love with our own players.

Chi how was the fishing this summer?

20. Cory

Cory Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I think a great point was brought up by the fact that he KEPT Ruvell Martin and CUT a 4th round pick in Cory Rodgers. Performance actually means something.

21. Zombieslayer

Zombieslayer Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm surprised by them cutting Davenport, but then again, Herron and Beach showed a lot of potential. Davenport was too injury ridden.

Agree with most of the sentiment that either having 4 WRs is a mistake, or TT knows what he's doing and will bring in a 5th from elsewhere. I'm hoping it's the latter.

22. Cory

Cory Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    I doubt he's going to stick with 4. I just think there was barely 5 recievers to choose from. They will pick someone else up in FA.

23. dhpackr

dhpackr Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0

sorry, but i just never felt you have a washed up player play #4. either the guy starts, or he just isin't good enough to play.

usually #4 & #5 wr is a young player with some upside to him, not a washed up has been.

24. Buckeyepackfan

Buckeyepackfan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Here is complete roster.

One question I have is Vince Butler is still listed as on the 53 man roster, if that is true The Packers have 5 wr's on the roster and are only 1 man short.

Anyone know what's up with Vince Butler???

POS PLAYER
    C CHRIS WHITE
    C SCOT WELLS
    G/C JASON SPITZ
    G/T DARYN COLLEGE
    G/T TONY MOLL
    T/G JUNIUS COSTON
    T CHAD CLIFTON
    T MARK TAUSCHER

TE TROY HIMPREY
    TE BUBBA FRANKS
    TE DAVID MARTIN
    TE DONALD LEE

POS PLAYER
    WR VINCE BUTLER ?? WHO IS THIS ??WR
    WR DONALD DRIVER
    WR GREG JENNINGS
    WR RUVELL MARTIN
    WR ROBERT FERGUSON

FB VONTE LEACH
    FB WILLIAM HENDERSON

RB SAMKON GADO
    RB AHMAN GREEN
    RB NOAH HERRON

QB BRETT FAVRE
    QB AARON RODGERS
    QB INGLE MARTIN

POS PLAYER
    DT COLIN COLE
    DT KENDRICK ALLEN
    DT JOHNNY JOLLY
    DT RYAN PICKETT
    DT COREY WILLIAMS

DT/DE CULLEN JENKINS

DE KABEER GBAJA-BIAMILA
    DE JASON HUNTER
    DE AARON KAMPMAN
    DE MICHEAL MONTGOMERY

POS PLAYER
    LB BEN TAYLOR
    LB TRACY WHITE
    LB ABDUL HODGE
    LB A.J. HAWK
    LB NICK BARNETT
    LB BRADY POPPINGA

CB JASON HORTON
    CB AL HARRIS
    CB AHMAD CARROLL
    CB CHARLES WOODSON
    CB WILL BLACKMON

S NICK COLLINS
    S TYRONE CULVE
    S MARQUAND MANUAL

LS ROB DAVIS
    P JOHN RYAN
    K DAVE RAYNOR

25. Cory

Cory Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +0
    Going with 3 safeties? They definitely need to sign another safety.