packers.com announces cuts

billv

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Green Bay Packers Saturday released 19 players and placed three on injured reserve. The transactions were announced by Ted Thompson, Executive Vice President, General Manager and Director of Football Operations.

Released Saturday were tight end Zac Alcorn, safety Atari Bigby, safety Tra Boger, wide receiver Carlton Brewster, fullback Ben Brown, kicker E.J. Cochrane, running back Najeh Davenport, cornerback Patrick Dendy, wide receiver Chris Francies, wide receiver Rod Gardner, linebacker Tim Goodwell, cornerback Antonio Malone, linebacker Roy Manning, safety Jeremy Modkins, guard Siitupe Peko, defensive end Kenny Peterson, wide receiver Cory Rodgers, defensive end Dave Tollefson and center Pete Traynor.

Placed on injured reserve Saturday were running back Arliss Beach, tackle Josh Bourke and cornerback Mike Hawkins.

Davenport rushed for 1,068 yards on 217 carries (4.9 avg.) with seven TDs in his four seasons with the Packers.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just heard them announced on TV. Man........Cory Rodgers.....i had hopes for him
And no more "******!"

SuperRat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Gaffney got cut by the Eagles. I don't know much about him and getting cut from the Eagles isn't a good sign but I wonder if he could help out at WR.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
SuperRat said:
Gaffney got cut by the Eagles. I don't know much about him and getting cut from the Eagles isn't a good sign but I wonder if he could help out at WR.

Tyrone Calico is the guy I'd like to see TT bring in

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Much thanks for being on top of that one, billv.

I'm not sad about Davenport being cut.

Maybe Cory Rodgers could be signed to the practice squad. Hopefully Tollefson clears waivers, as he would make a good practice squad guy.

Kenny Peterson got cut, but Corey Williams apparently squeaked by for now.

What we need now is for somebody more ambitious than myself to give us the entire roster. I'm only counting four wide receivers right now, so they should bring in another.

jdlax

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm a bit suprised Roy Manning is gone, for some reason. But then I'm not, considering Poppinga is back, and Hodge, Hawk, and Taylor are here now too.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They better bring in a WR now. I didn't expect Rodgers, Brewster, and Gardner all to go. Going in with 4 WR's screwed us last season and he better not do it again.

I'm very glad that kept Noah Herron over Davenport. I wish Davenport was worked at FB more. I don't like Leach in this scheme.

Tollefson suprised me a bit. I thought he out played Jason Hunter but they went with Hunter. Hopefully they get him on the practice squad.

Good to see the hung onto Mike Hawkins and just put him on injured reserved. Same with Beach.

Kenny Peterson is no suprise. Just another high draft pick that underachieved for us.

Roy Manning over Tracy White suprises me. White must be the better special teams player.

Overall though the only suprise is letting go all 3 of those WR's. The others aren't shocking although I don't agree with them all.

OP
OP
B

billv

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As I understand it, there's only 51 players on the roster right now including only 4 receivers and eight offensive linemen. They must be looking somewhere to fill those spots, right?

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't see TE Tory Humphrey (#84) on this list. Are they keeping four tight ends? If so, Thompson must be hoping to deal one of them.

Other borderline players who made the team include pass rushing DE Jason Hunter (#57), LB Tracy White (#59), and OT Josh Bourke (#67).

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
porky88 said:
They better bring in a WR now. I didn't expect Rodgers, Brewster, and Gardner all to go. Going in with 4 WR's screwed us last season and he better not do it again.

I'm very glad that kept Noah Herron over Davenport. I wish Davenport was worked at FB more. I don't like Leach in this scheme.

Tollefson suprised me a bit. I thought he out played Jason Hunter but they went with Hunter. Hopefully they get him on the practice squad.

Good to see the hung onto Mike Hawkins and just put him on injured reserved. Same with Beach.

Kenny Peterson is no suprise. Just another high draft pick that underachieved for us.

Roy Manning over Tracy White suprises me. White must be the better special teams player.

Overall though the only suprise is letting go all 3 of those WR's. The others aren't shocking although I don't agree with them all.

C'Mon Porky, I told you Leach was going to make it. Best blocking back on our roster.

Tracy White surprised me as well.

Where are Chad Lucas and Vince Butler?

Rayner is our only kicker with Cochrane gone, Ithink

I'm now confused

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:
SuperRat said:

Did he get the axe? I know he has a big problem with injuries, but is very fast.

pyledriver80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cory said:
pyledriver80 said:
SuperRat said:

Did he get the axe? I know he has a big problem with injuries, but is very fast.

Yeah, this does leave us room to bring in a guy like Calico.

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:
Cory said:
pyledriver80 said:
SuperRat said:

Yeah, this does leave us room to bring in a guy like Calico.

Not a bad idea. He and Gaffney coming in to round out 6 would be good, IMO. At least there would be potential there in our bottom set. I'm happy to see Ruvell Martin made the team.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
pyledriver80 said:
porky88 said:

C'Mon Porky, I told you Leach was going to make it. Best blocking back on our roster.

Tracy White surprised me as well.

Where are Chad Lucas and Vince Butler?

Rayner is our only kicker with Cochrane gone, Ithink

I'm now confused

Leach scares me because he doesn't fit the scheme but hanging onto him as a blocker is find by me. I’d like to see him work on his hands better though.

4 WR's is even scarier. I don't like that move. Lucas and Butler were cut last week and now the other 3 this week. That leaves us with Driver, Jennings, Ferguson and Martin. All I agree with. I just believe 1 or maybe 2 extra WR's is needed. Hopefully he brings someone in. Last year we had 3 WR's for the majority of the year and it killed us. If another WR isn't brough in, I'll be very dissapointed. It doesn't even need to be a big name guy out there. Just someone that can run routes and catch works for me.

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the 4 TE's is because they need someone to be a FB in a pinch with only Leach as the backup. And we all know what great hands Leach has....

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Leach scares me because he doesn't fit the scheme but hanging onto him as a blocker is find by me. I’d like to see him work on his hands better though.

4 WR's is even scarier. I don't like that move. Lucas and Butler were cut last week and now the other 3 this week. That leaves us with Driver, Jennings, Ferguson and Martin. All I agree with. I just believe 1 or maybe 2 extra WR's is needed. Hopefully he brings someone in. Last year we had 3 WR's for the majority of the year and it killed us. If another WR isn't brough in, I'll be very dissapointed. It doesn't even need to be a big name guy out there. Just someone that can run routes and catch works for me.[/quote]

Does that mean we should cut Ferguson, too? :D

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
porky88 said:

4 WR's is even scarier. I don't like that move. Lucas and Butler were cut last week and now the other 3 this week. That leaves us with Driver, Jennings, Ferguson and Martin. All I agree with. I just believe 1 or maybe 2 extra WR's is needed. Hopefully he brings someone in. Last year we had 3 WR's for the majority of the year and it killed us. If another WR isn't brough in, I'll be very dissapointed. It doesn't even need to be a big name guy out there. Just someone that can run routes and catch works for me.

Agreed. Keeping four receivers was, in my opinion, one of the worst moves by Ted Thompson in his tenure as GM. But then, he did do some wheeling and dealing at this time last year, so I expect more of the same this year. Also, it is apparent that beyond Ruvell Martin, no receivers in camp stood out.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cory said:

4 WR's is even scarier. I don't like that move. Lucas and Butler were cut last week and now the other 3 this week. That leaves us with Driver, Jennings, Ferguson and Martin. All I agree with. I just believe 1 or maybe 2 extra WR's is needed. Hopefully he brings someone in. Last year we had 3 WR's for the majority of the year and it killed us. If another WR isn't brough in, I'll be very dissapointed. It doesn't even need to be a big name guy out there. Just someone that can run routes and catch works for me.[/quote]

Does that mean we should cut Ferguson, too? :D

No but agreeing to a deal with Deion Branch and trading a 2nd round pick for him works for me. Then cut or trade Robert Ferguson and pickup someone and we got 5. :p

Never would happen but it certainly would look good.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts