Packers claim Sam Ficken off waivers

D

Deleted member 6794

It's tough to argue though with Crosby's make percentage since 2011 in the playoffs.....

If you're telling me the guy is going to hit on ~95% of his kicks in the playoffs, he stays. Problem is you can't guarantee that, but his playoff kicking has been absolutely superb. We don't win some of them games without his right foot.

You have to realize that 19 of Crosby's 29 attempts have come from 40 or less yards in the playoffs though.

His salary isn't stopping the Packers from getting to the playoffs.

The Packers could have used the $14 million saved by going with a rookie instead of Crosby from 2016-19 on a different player though.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
You have to realize that 19 of Crosby's 29 attempts have come from 40 or less yards in the playoffs though.

I totally understand your issues with Crosby, but trying to shade what he has done in the playoffs is a big stretch IMO. He is 26/29 (90%) on FG's in the playoffs, with his 3 misses being from 54, 50 and 41 yds. The other poster also forget to mention that in the Playoffs, Crosby is perfect on XP's (59/59).

I don't care or really see how it's probably that different from the norm, that 66% of his FG attempts in the playoffs are from 40 yds or closer, the fact is, Crosby has been one hell of a good kicker in the Post Season.

Now if the Packers decide that he is being overpaid for what they get from him during the regular season and replace him, so be it, but it won't be because of what he has done in playoff games.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

I totally understand your issues with Crosby, but trying to shade what he has done in the playoffs is a big stretch IMO. He is 26/29 (90%) on FG's in the playoffs, with his 3 misses being from 54, 50 and 41 yds. The other poster also forget to mention that in the Playoffs, Crosby is perfect on XP's (59/59).

I don't care or really see how it's probably that different from the norm, that 66% of his FG attempts in the playoffs are from 40 yds or closer, the fact is, Crosby has been one hell of a good kicker in the Post Season.

Now if the Packers decide that he is being overpaid for what they get from him during the regular season and replace him, so be it, but it won't be because of what he has done in playoff games.

There's no denying Crosby has been successful in the playoffs. In my opinion it should be mentioned that most of his field goals in the postseason have come from close range to put it in perspective.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
There's no denying Crosby has been successful in the playoffs. In my opinion it should be mentioned that most of his field goals in the postseason have come from close range to put it in perspective.

Right, he is perfect (19/19 FG's and 59/59 XP's) from 40 yards or less, couldn't get any better than that, right? ;)

OP
OP
PackAttack12

PackAttack12

R-E-L-A-X
Reaction score
This is such a silly exercise.

Stephen Gostowski, who has a very high volume of kicks in the postseason (meaning numbers aren't skewed), has kicked from less than 40 yards 63% of the time. Of course that's so much less than the 65% of the time that Crosby has kicked from a similar distance. :rolleyes:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
This is such a silly exercise.

Stephen Gostowski, who has a very high volume of kicks in the postseason (meaning numbers aren't skewed), has kicked from less than 40 yards 63% of the time. Of course that's so much less than the 65% of the time that Crosby has kicked from a similar distance. :rolleyes:
Not to mention that some of Gostowski's XP (4 misses) and FG misses (5 misses) in the playoffs and SB's have been costly. Despite that, the Patriots still decided to keep him and resigned him for 2 yrs at $8.5 M

No doubt SG has been a better regular season kicker than Mason, but based on stats and clutch kicks, I would take Crosby in the playoffs over him.

D

Deleted member 6794

Right, he is perfect (19/19 FG's and 59/59 XP's) from 40 yards or less, couldn't get any better than that, right? ;)

Once again, there's no denying Crosby has been excellent in the playoffs.

Actually I didn't realize that since 2007 62% of all field goal attempts in the playoffs have been attempted from 40 yards or less.

Therefore you're correct that bringing it up when talking about Crosby isn't a valid point.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My 2 cents:

Crosby is not a perfect kicker.

Crosby is not the best kicker in the NFL.

Crosby is, however, a good kicker. Clutch in the playoffs, especially. And that matters.

If a team has a good kicker, they're probably better off keeping him, more often than not.

The Bears saved a few bucks when they sent Robbie Gould packing.

How'd that work for them?

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Are we done here?

Last edited:

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Are we done here?

I doubt it, based on the fact that it has been an ongoing healthy debate for years. So I think it will continue in the fun light-hearted way that those involved have carried it. Even if Crosby is replaced, I am sure we will all be back, saying "See, I told you so"....now which side will be saying that, nobody knows.

Who knows, this could over take the volume of the Fire Capers thread!

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

D

Deleted member 6794

My 2 cents:

Crosby is not a perfect kicker.

Crosby is not the best kicker in the NFL.

Crosby is, however, a good kicker. Clutch in the playoffs, especially. And that matters.

If a team has a good kicker, they're probably better off keeping him, more often than not.

The Bears saved a few bucks when they sent Robbie Gould packing.

How'd that work for them?

Are we done here?

The discussion won't stop because in the regular season Crosby has been a below average kicker being paid like an elite one.

Members online

Latest posts