1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!

Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Packers claim punter Jacob Schum, release Tim Masthay

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by captainWIMM, Aug 30, 2016.

1. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6,663
    It seems the team wasn't confident in the incumbent starter after all.

2. mongoosev

mongoosev Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +102
  3. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6,663
    Schum appeared in all 16 games for the Buccaneers last season averaging 41.9 yards per punt (38.0 net) on 56 attempts last season. He had 15 punts downed inside the opponent's 20 yard line and a long of 60 yards.

Taking a look at those numbers, especially for a team playing in a warm climate, I'm baffled by the move.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Pkrjones

Pkrjones Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +328
    Comparing stats on NFL.com Schum's average is 41.9 yds in '15, Masthay's was 43.9 yds. Coaches must've seen something they like in Schum, or this may be the beginning of "who's the punter this week?". GB will save about $700K against the cap, though! :)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Vrill

Vrill Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +828
    LOL, wow. Interesting. Maybe they wanted a veteran to replace Timmy. Jacob is 27. Been around a bit it seems. Spent some time with the Jets too.

What FA punters are still out there?

6. G0P4ckG0

G0P4ckG0 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +65
    W.T.F.!?!?

7. Poppa San

Poppa San SB I trophy First of four Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,631
    Don't know but there will be a lot more on Saturday than there are today.

8. Vrill

Vrill Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +828
    Bigger question is, who holds for FG's now? A backup QB? Maybe Rodgers?

9. Zartan

Zartan Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +293
    OOOOH

Incumbent Mastay survives primary battle but loses the General to Schum.

This better not bite us in the *** in the season at some point. I sware if we lose in the Playoffs due to a crappy punter Ill lose it.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  10. C-Lee

C-Lee Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +378
    lolwhat

11. Vrill

Vrill Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +828
    I wouldn't be so sure that this is permanent. Somebody else might be our punter on opening day. Its strange to think that we are "all in" with Schum. Another round of cuts are coming, more punters will be on the market. Schum might not impress at all in the last preseason game. In fact, we might even sign another punter between now and the preseason finale. So I wouldn't read too much into this for now. The situation seems fluid.

However, what this DOES tell me is that the staff is tired of Masthay and are replacing him one way or another.

12. Pkrjones

Pkrjones Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +328
    Schum and Cobb listed in depth chart.

FA Punters cut today: Britton Colquit-Denver, Jeff Scifres - Carolina, Will Monday - Pitt (who??), Peter Mortell-GB (!!)

13. Mondio

Mondio Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,799
    one guy couldn' beat out Masthay, and Masthay is still inconsistent and he boomed plenty of punts that should have downed someone inside the 20, and shanked many that should have been boomed. he looks the same this year as he did last year. I'm not sorry to see him go, Is this guy better? i'm willing to keep looking till we find one that is.

• Agree Agree x 4
  14. adambr2

adambr2 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +2,175
    TT is a bit of a sadist. Didn't want to keep Masthay but didn't want to give fans the satisfaction of keeping Mortell.

• Funny Funny x 3
  15. Scotland Yard

Scotland Yard Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +33
    Masthay's average net yardage this preseason was about 31 I believe, at a cost of $1.2million. Schum netted 38 last season in a muggy climate and only costs about half a million this year. Considering Masthay's meltdown in the playoff game vs. AZ on top of it all, TT is seeing this as no worse than a lateral move that saves $700,000.

However....

With Bridgewater & Romo down, we now have one of the easiest schedules of all time on tap. Therefore, I'd like to see TT pick up Colquitt to help insure home field advantage in the NFC. Colquitt is fully acclimated to cold weather and the pressure of punting in several big playoff games. Top notch punter falls right into the Packers' lap if TT wants it.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. azrsx05

azrsx05 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +217
    I bet we see Masthay back. I feel this is more of a salary decision. Once Masthay sees no one wants him as a free agent. He will come back to the Packers at a cheaper pay.

17. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3,750
    Strange move indeed.

18. NelsonsLongCatch

NelsonsLongCatch Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +850
    PUNTER TALK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Funny Funny x 3
  19. HardRightEdge

HardRightEdge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3,750
    According to ESPN stats, Masthay's net was 40.2 last season. Schum's was 38.0.

20. Firethorn1001

Firethorn1001 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +64
    Mixed feelings. Definitely not a Masthay fan so, not shedding tears, but figured with a week left until the real stuff starts, I just assumed they would dance with the devil they know rather scrap some guy off the waiver wire that doesn't appear to be significantly better. As for stats, the stats for Masthay indicate that I shouldn't have been swearing at him on the TV as much as I did last year, but.. I was.

21. Mondio

Mondio Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,799
    You swore because your eyes were telling the story that stats were missing. He was "good" because we had a tremendous coverage team last year. He was worthy of being cut for every time we needed a 45yd+ punt and he'd shank it 30 yards out of bounds at midfield. Or when we needed to pin them inside the 10 and he'd blast it out of the end zone.

• Agree Agree x 3
  22. Ogsponge

Ogsponge Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +602
    I have not seen any preseason games but I could have sworn that I read that I petrol kid had a 48 net average in the preseason, if that s true, what am I missing? Why would they cut him?

23. RRyder

RRyder Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +505
    Well now you get to see someone that they scraped off the waiver wire that looks significantly worse..... The Devil you know.

This move makes zero freaking sense to begin with and then when you factor in he's Crosbys holder it's truly a WTF moment

24. Pokerbrat2000

Pokerbrat2000 Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.

Ratings:
    +2,949
    I can only guess that the photos that Masthay has been holding for the past 2 years of TT in compromising positions turned out to be a bluff and TT finally said "enough is enough" and called his bluff. :coffee:

Last edited: Aug 31, 2016
  25. captainWIMM

captainWIMM Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +6,663
    I truly hope this move doesn't mean Schum will be the Packers punter week 1 at Jacksonville as that would mean Thompson somehow managed to end up with a worse player at the position than Masthay. Never mind that the newby hasn't taken a single snap as the holder for Crosby on field goal attempts.

I really have a hard time understanding the reason for this transaction.

If the possible cap savings of $675K truly is that important to the general manager then the team is in an even worse salary cap situation than I thought. Even if money was the reason why not hold on to Mortell who spent all offseason with the team???

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 1