Packers claim former Jaguars RB Tyler Ervin

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Primarily it's good that Ervin has significantly improve the return game.

Agreed the contributory value of him on offensive possession is merely a bonus to his primary reason for signing: special teams!

I totally agree, but I think we are starting to see small signs of MLF and the Packers working him more and more into the offense. I am sure it has taken him a bit of time to learn the offense, but if they can use him a few times a game to either run some type of gadget play or make the defense defend against it, another weapon in the tool box for the offense.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd love to see a quick double move out of him...any defense right now that sees him split out is expecting nothing outside of a screen and/or reverse....a quick plant and go could seriously burn a defender's proper assumption of expectations of what Ervin will do. I am an Ervin fan, and have said I'm all for bringing him back after this year.

Reaction score
Also keep in mind Ervin did not play in week 12. We had a 20 yard KR average and -1 punt return average with T. Smith! You could improve upon that with fair catches and touchbacks!

Also JK had one of his worst games all season. He shanked a couple punts (one bad punt directly resulted in a last sec 1st half 49ers FG because of it) and his long of the day traveled just over 40 yards. You could trip into a game and improve that significantly. I also like what I’m seeing from Oren Burks on ST coverage lately, he’s becoming a coverage team ACE.

Between Tyler and J.K. alone we could improve markedly on that aspect of the game. Field position is everything and we put ourselves in jeopardy constantly in the week 12 contest.

Look for Ervin and ST to be one component that looks completely different this next meeting

PackerFanLV

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I’ve noticed he’s been getting more playing time as of late. I’m thinking he will be apart of our game plan against the 49ers I can see him slowing bosa and the 9ers front down by getting out on the edges fast and working him into some screen plays. Cause I think the 49ers are going to double Dvante every play. Even sternberger might be in the game plan.

Last edited:

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers will use Ervin as a returner. He won't see the field as a running back.

Unfortunately I don't think it matters as the blocking is too atrocious for any returner to make a difference.

It doesn't happen often so I'm shocked to be able to quote you capt and point out you were wrong...however, I am betting you fully embrace being happy you were wrong.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Here is yet another midseason pickup by our GM that has made a big difference for this team. :D

Honestly, looking back on the entire last year January - January...the ONLY thing I question was the decision to draft Gary, and my only beef there is not about whether I think Gary will be good, it is purely positional use of that pick. Outside of that, the releases, trades, pick ups...you literally cannot expect an organization to hit more consistently than we have here in Green Bay.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
Honestly, looking back on the entire last year January - January...the ONLY thing I question was the decision to draft Gary, and my only beef there is not about whether I think Gary will be good, it is purely positional use of that pick. Outside of that, the releases, trades, pick ups...you literally cannot expect an organization to hit more consistently than we have here in Green Bay.

I hope I am wrong and the Packers win the Super Bowl, but if they don't, I would actually point to sitting pat on the WR group, as well as the ILB group as Black marks on Gute's decisions for the past year. He had ways to improve either or both positions via free agency, the draft or a trade and he did nothing. While I understand starting the season thinking you are going to wait and see as to what you have, it became pretty obvious, pretty fast that those 2 positions were our weakest links and yet he still stood pat. I have to wonder if Gute would have had a crystal ball back in October and knew we would go 13-3, would he have decided that trading a future draft pick for a WR might just be what the offense needed to increase the chances of a Super Bowl trip?

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I hope I am wrong and the Packers win the Super Bowl, but if they don't, I would actually point to sitting pat on the WR group, as well as the ILB group as Black marks on Gute's decisions for the past year. He had ways to improve either or both positions via free agency, the draft or a trade and he did nothing. While I understand starting the season thinking you are going to wait and see as to what you have, it became pretty obvious, pretty fast that those 2 positions were our weakest links and yet he still stood pat. I have to wonder if Gute would have had a crystal ball back in October and knew we would go 13-3, would he have decided that trading a future draft pick for a WR might just be what the offense needed to increase the chances of a Super Bowl trip?

I believe you misread what I was attempting to convey, I was merely judging the actions they did take. I would agree not obtaining a solid #2 may be the very reason we don't have home field advantage (stretch I know)...but is the one big glaring issue this team has, IMO the only BIG issue. ILB is not what we wish, but you can also do grossly worse than Blake.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I personally still feel the draft equity it took to pull Emmanuel Sanders was worth the move IMO for us to have done and not the 49ers

D

Deleted member 6794

It doesn't happen often so I'm shocked to be able to quote you capt and point out you were wrong...however, I am betting you fully embrace being happy you were wrong.

I'm wrong a lot of times, just like every other poster around here. With that being said I'm happy that Ervin has significantly improved the return game and has even made an impact on offense as well.

Members online

Latest posts