Packers center Wells has concerns about TV mikes

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
not sure who knew this..But the centers are miked up during certain games...I noticed it right away, that the q/b seemed louder than normal

NFL.com news: Wired-up Packers center Wells has concerns about TV mikes

REEN BAY, Wis. -- Packers center Scott Wells wasn't exactly thrilled with the idea of wearing a television microphone during Sunday's season opener at Philadelphia.

As the on-field leader of Green Bay's offensive line, Wells is concerned that another team could gain an advantage by being able to hear the calls he and quarterback Aaron Rodgers make at the line of scrimmage.

"I don't really like being miked up, personally, because the centers say a lot, we make a lot of calls and adjustments," Wells said. "So if you have a microphone in there, it's broadcast to the whole world what you're saying. You have to be smart, what you say, and try not to give everything away."

The NFL is allowing TV networks to put microphones on centers during select games this season. Wells said he wore one microphone on the front of his shoulder pads and another on the back.

"It was explained to me it will be prime-time games, so pretty much all the night games, and then any big rivalry afternoon games," Wells said.

NFL spokesman Greg Aiello said microphones on centers take the place of microphones previously placed on umpires, who will spend the majority of the game lining up behind the deepest running back instead of in the middle of the defense this season -- and presumably wouldn't be in good position to pick up sound.

"We are using them on selected games so far," Aiello said in an e-mail to The Associated Press. "The mikes are open only from the break of the huddle through the snap, same as with the umpire mike. We are continuing to review how it is working."

Wells said he understands the influence that TV has on the sport. "We do what we're told," Wells said.

Wells didn't say whether he was more concerned about a rival team using the broadcast to gain an advantage during a game or an upcoming opponent using a tape of Wells' calls to better scout the Packers' offense.

"I just have a concern any time there's a mike on the center or the quarterback, because they're going to hear a lot of the adjustments," Wells said. "That's stuff you can't get off of regular film."

And if opposing defenses begin using the broadcasts to gain an advantage, Wells said Green Bay's offense will have to consider additional ways to disguise its signals.

"Once things start getting picked up, it's going to happen," Wells said.

Copyright 2010 by The Associated Press

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Faux explained it during the game.
I couldn't believe it and had similar thoughts to Wells.
That another team will use it against their opponent.

It's not just a terrible idea. It's a dumb dumb dumb idea.
I wonder who thought of this one?
Did the Pats coach, Bill Bellacheat come up with this idea?
Even not, I'm sure he's doing cartwheels and clicking his heels over this.

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
Word, Talk about giving the D a big helping freaking hand. Although GB could use it to their advantage and basically change the audibles to something else to trick the D if they were trying to learn the offense. Talk about a PITA to have to change your audibles every game. How often do they change them during a season?

I'd go to a silent snap count during the games they had the mics on the center. F em.

armand34

Cheesehead
Reaction score
wow that's crazy, but just how fast can the defense adjust in the time of 2 or 3 seconds before the snap? is the idea that the DC would be watching the broadcast in the booth, listen, and then change the play, that sounds pretty hard to do in time

A12ROD903

Cheesehead
Reaction score
wow that's crazy, but just how fast can the defense adjust in the time of 2 or 3 seconds before the snap? is the idea that the DC would be watching the broadcast in the booth, listen, and then change the play, that sounds pretty hard to do in time

It wouldnt have to be done at that moment. They could trend the calls. In other words if a team makes adjustments at the line, and the opponent notices (hears) the call from the QB and then then adjusts the defense, the only thing the D-Coord would have to do is say "every time Rodgers says ANIMAL (example), they are changing the WR routes to curls" or something along those lines, after he notices the trend (every time Rodgers says animal, the offense adjusts).

I understand the concern

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
Its stupid, I understand wanting to make the fans feel more into the game but it can be abused. You basically have a microphone in the huddle and its an accident waiting to happen. I want less technology in the game, I am already sick of all the instant replays.

Members online

Latest posts