Packers by position DLine

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
What I read was that Beasley's production has been trending down the past couple years.
Which is probably why they are fine with letting him walk. Contract decisions can make or break an NFL team "Do you resign them to another contract or just let them go?" So far I think Gute has been pretty good in that decision making process. We will see what he does with Bulaga and Crosby.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In my opinion the Packers have one stud on the defensive line in Clark surrounded by average players at best. In my opinion Gutekunst needs to either add another impact defensive lineman or inside linebacker during the offseason to prevent another opponent from running wild against the defense.
You point out the reason(s) the run defense was so pathetic. Ideally, they (finally) get a stud at ILB and add depth/skill to the DL to complement Clark. Clark, as good as he is, will continue to see double teams unless/until the ILB gets better and the quality of depth on the DL improves.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would like them to go after Jordan Phillips. He will be cost effective (could get away with a 3 year 20 million deal) and will be an immediate upgrade to the line. Unless you spend a 1st and 2nd on ILB and DL in this years draft, it will be unlikely to get an immediate starter. I think the packers should go out and sign a guy like this. Try to get Murray or Queen in the first round, then leave the second round open for a WR.
Would love to get either Murray or Queen. Will one or both of them be there at #30?

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There’s the old saying. Battles are won and lost in the trenches.
I still believe what we saw was an “Old School” complete domination at the LOS in the NFC loss. So much so, it changed the entire dynamic of the game. MLF face said it all.. he looked sick at times as we got absolutely steamrolled.
I believe had we had a Suh, bully type (using for dramatic effect) DT upfront paired with Kenny and added with an aggressive bruising style ILB? The run D would’ve given up yardage, but not the repeated embarrassment nearly every play.

We absolutely need an answer both at DL and LB or we will suffer all year again. In addition, I’d get Kenny signed yesterday, he’s obviously the only solid upfront.
It’s not like the NFCCG was the first time the run D was exposed. We gave up big yards to the Lions in the last game. Shanahan saw that and pounded the ball on the ground. Even knowing it was coming, GB couldn’t stop it, and Mostert is hardly Barry Sanders. So yep, a stud ILB not named Martinez and quality depth on the DL are necessities.

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Edge rushers and inside backers are completely different positions. I mean, it's not just sliding an OLB inside. It's basically taking a 4-3 pass rushing DE to MLB. It's not at all similar to an OT sliding into OG, or the other examples you posted. It's just not Beasley's skill set. This isn't Madden. Wake up.
Yeah I’m not crazy about paying a guy a lot of money to see if he pans out at ILB. As for OLB, there’s not a need there with the Smiths and Gary. Pass. What about the ILB from Chicago? Can’t recall his name......

Heyjoe4

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nice s
I think its safe to say that the Packers aren't in full rebuild mode and actually may just be a couple of players away from making a serious run at the SB. So the importance of fixing the few glaring holes (ILB, WR, TE, DL) should be viewed as a this year thing. I don't want to see the Packers roll the dice on projects at those positions, unless those projects come cheap and don't need to be relied upon in 2020.

I have no idea how the FA Group will look in regards to those 4 positions, but I think we will see Gute take a swing on landing at least 2-3 guys to hopefully improve upon them and then use the draft and potentially subsequent Free Agency/Trade later on.

Hopefully the 14-4 Season wasn't a fluke, but whatever it was, I think it might have surprised even Gute and bumped his immediate needs list up a year or two.
Nice summary. At least we know Gluten won’t be shy in FA. He doesn’t have as much cap as last year, but filling 2, maybe 3 of the needs you listed in FA will help drive the draft process. Given the daft depth at WR, I’d rather see him active in FA at ILB, TE, and DL. My eyes have finally been opened to the fact that a WR out of college can be an impact player year one. It’s risky, but the draft always carries some risk.

Dantés

Gute Loot
Reaction score
In considering what type of defensive lineman the Packers need to bring in, I've been leaning more and more towards an upfield penetrating 3T.

While the Niners are certainly not a zone-only team, the Packers struggled to stop zone rushing attacks in 2019 in part because they don't have an upfield player along their defensive line.

The quickest way to run zone runs, especially wide zone, is by getting into the backfield and forcing the runner to redirect early.

So while it may seem counter-intuitive, I think the best way to bolster the run defense up front is not with a block eater, but with a player who wins early in the down-- basically with someone who actually is what they hoped Adams might be.

Javon Hargrave would be the cream of this particular crop this offseason, and more expensive than what Green Bay can afford (maybe 12-15M/season?).

Gerald McCoy is an interesting option who could be cheaper at 32. He played on a one year, 8M contract last year. Maybe something a little less would get it done this year?

Maliek Collins is another guy who might fit the mold. ******* his price tag is difficult. Maybe 5-7M? But he's young enough that if a team thinks he's still ascending, it could be much higher.

Reaction score
In considering what type of defensive lineman the Packers need to bring in, I've been leaning more and more towards an upfield penetrating 3T.

While the Niners are certainly not a zone-only team, the Packers struggled to stop zone rushing attacks in 2019 in part because they don't have an upfield player along their defensive line.

The quickest way to run zone runs, especially wide zone, is by getting into the backfield and forcing the runner to redirect early.

So while it may seem counter-intuitive, I think the best way to bolster the run defense up front is not with a block eater, but with a player who wins early in the down-- basically with someone who actually is what they hoped Adams might be.

Javon Hargrave would be the cream of this particular crop this offseason, and more expensive than what Green Bay can afford (maybe 12-15M/season?).

Gerald McCoy is an interesting option who could be cheaper at 32. He played on a one year, 8M contract last year. Maybe something a little less would get it done this year?

Maliek Collins is another guy who might fit the mold. ******* his price tag is difficult. Maybe 5-7M? But he's young enough that if a team thinks he's still ascending, it could be much higher.
That’s exactly what I’ve been thinking as far as type of DT. When you only have 3 primary guys on the DL you need to have at minimum a pair of guys that can win in short yardage running situations. Kenny is one but who is the other? We don’t have one and I’d even say our 3rd best option wouldn’t even start on many teams. We obviously have too big a dropoff after Kenny. Imagine tho for a second if Kenny Clark became our #2 or at least has a comparable guy next to him similarly causing that disruption you talked about? Now do that and upgrade at just 1 ILB spot. You’ve got an entirely different Defense.

IF a current Somebody make a leap in addition to that (I believe that somebody is Rashan Gary) it could be a lights out looking front group. btw, I know they used Gary as a rotational 3rd OLB, but I think he’s suited better with his hand in the dirt and in that 290lbs range alongside with a new true NT in the middle. Kenny on the Right side and Rashan on the left with both Smiths coming in on stunts from all over the place.
Get your best and most athletic players on the field simultaneously. Training wheels are over.

Here’s a guy that’s attainable for GB. Not a prototypical NT, but such a stud that alongside Kenny would provide fits for an interior OL, especially with Z working the edge.
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts