Packers biggest off season mistake?

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In case you wanted to see the TJ Watts Sacks, here they are. GREAT plays by TJ? Probably not, but solid, especially for a rookie. That last sack was vintage TJ from his days as a Badger, he doesn't over react to the fake handoff, bears down on a QB wraps him up and takes him down. Maybe Clay can get some pointers? :coffee:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Even his coach said those will probably be the easiest sacks of his career.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In case you wanted to see the TJ Watts Sacks, here they are. GREAT plays by TJ? Probably not, but solid, especially for a rookie. That last sack was vintage TJ from his days as a Badger, he doesn't over react to the fake handoff, bears down on a QB wraps him up and takes him down. Maybe Clay can get some pointers? :coffee:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!
Ya people can say these were easy sacks but on the first one Clay would have been pushed right out the back of the play and on the 2nd one he would have looked like a 2 year old girl desperately hanging onto the merry-go-round, while her 12 year old brother spun it around as fast as he could, before eventually falling off and tumbling to the ground with nothing but grass burns on the elbows.

Ogsponge

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh, and like I said in my thread from 2 or 3 months ago with this exact thread title, keeping clay on this team was the biggest mistake off the offseason, he should have been cut to use the money to sign a veteran cb better than house and then draft watt who will have twice as many sacks this year as clay for about 80% less money. I will however stipulate that could very well mean watt only has 2 sacks this year...

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ya people can say these were easy sacks but on the first one Clay would have been pushed right out the back of the play and on the 2nd one he would have looked like a 2 year old girl desperately hanging onto the merry-go-round, while her 12 year old brother spun it around as fast as he could, before eventually falling off and tumbling to the ground with nothing but grass burns on the elbows.
The LT people should be talking about getting whipped is Spriggs. Derek Barnett, a rookie, looked like Derrick Thomas while going up against a guy we traded up in the second round to get. And I'm not exaggerating. Not only gave up two sacks, but got completely embarrassed in the process.

Reaction score
Oh, and like I said in my thread from 2 or 3 months ago with this exact thread title, keeping clay on this team was the biggest mistake off the offseason
lol, somehow I don't think "keeping clay" was the part you most wanted to communicate with that post.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Of clay was able to get on the field that is. He probably would have tripped over the yardage marker and broke his hip, or taken a nap after getting exhausted going into his stance, or maybe became woozy after leaning over so long in the huddle.

Mike McCarthy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Of clay was able to get on the field that is. He probably would have tripped over the yardage marker and broke his hip, or taken a nap after getting exhausted going into his stance, or maybe became woozy after leaning over so long in the huddle.
Forgot to mention spraying himself down with water and flipping his hair around like Fabio.

Reaction score
I sometimes wonder if we took the $$ you would save on cutting CM3 and spread it across 2 solid veteran FA signings that are both above average OLB's (even if we had to pony up a few extra million). Then if one gets injured, you still only lost a fraction of your investment. Kinda like the strategy of investing in a mutual fund verses putting $$ down all on one stock. Maybe that's unrealistic but it's crossed my mind once or twice, particularly over the last couple of years where his play has waned like a crescent moon

D

Deleted member 6794

I sometimes wonder if we took the $$ you would save on cutting CM3 and spread it across 2 solid veteran FA signings that are both above average OLB's (even if we had to pony up a few extra million). Then if one gets injured, you still only lost a fraction of your investment. Kinda like the strategy of investing in a mutual fund verses putting $$ down all on one stock. Maybe that's unrealistic but it's crossed my mind once or twice, particularly over the last couple of years where his play has waned like a crescent moon

It would definitely have made a lot of sense to add more veteran presence at outside linebacker using cap space saved by either restructuring Matthews' contract or outright releasing him.

Reaction score
The LT people should be talking about getting whipped is Spriggs. Derek Barnett, a rookie, looked like Derrick Thomas while going up against a guy we traded up in the second round to get. And I'm not exaggerating. Not only gave up two sacks, but got completely embarrassed in the process.
I agree. I re-watched one of those and it appeared Spriggs was playing with 75% effort. not good

Mark Andrew Hooley

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We should absolutely sign Dwight Freeney for veteran depth as a pass rusher. Especially if Biegel is out any longer.

Mark Andrew Hooley

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Couldn't fault him with the draft this year or the other roster moves, but We absolutely need this guy. Would be great depth and a situational rusher like Peppers. Could also help bring along some of the younger guys. I'm thinking he could be a cheap addition too. Surprised nobody has signed him actually.

D

Deleted member 6794

Couldn't fault him with the draft this year or the other roster moves, but We absolutely need this guy. Would be great depth and a situational rusher like Peppers. Could also help bring along some of the younger guys. I'm thinking he could be a cheap addition too. Surprised nobody has signed him actually.

While it might make sense to a lot of Packers fans to sign Freeney doesn't mean that Thompson thinks about it the same way.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
Lol, looks like we have Matthews and Spriggs vying to take on the Jarrett Bush role this year.

Members online

Latest posts