Packers biggest off season mistake?

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Imo it was not retaining Julius Peppers. You CANNOT depend on Clay Matthews or Nick Perry to stay healthy. The backups are still unproven.

Reaction score
Imo it was not retaining Julius Peppers. You CANNOT depend on Clay Matthews or Nick Perry to stay healthy. The backups are still unproven.
I was okay with Peppers walking, if we got a few more bodies in at the position. It had to be a net gain, or at least a wash. It was a net loss at a position where we were already shaky. It's pretty much Perry Solo. Gotta hope JE really, REALLY steps up.

GreenBaySlacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would have done some things different. But all said and done, I'm very happy with the position GB is in. Lots of young talent emerging. And over $20 mil cap space moving forward to help us keep guys like haha, Burnett, Adams, and lock Rodgers in til he is 42. .

I'd still be real interested in seeing what Revis would be willing to play for...

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I missed the first half. Did the first unit look bad?
One play in particular was pretty bad. Matthews missed about as sure of a sack as you can get. He then completed a medium pass and king was put on his butt and Rollins got stiff armed right off his feet. Looked pretty bad.

Overall it's preseason football, some things to like some that needs obvious work before the season starts. After one game, impressed with king coming up to make a tackle, not impressed with coverage. Saw nothing from Jones compared to what's been written this far. Those are initial impressions of top 2 picks this year

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score

When the Packers didn't resign Peppers, which I wish they would have, I fully expected them to go after a mid range FA OLB. When they didn't sign a FA OLB, I assumed they were going after Watt or another OLB with their first pick. Biegel?

This was the most disappointing off-season "non-moves" for me. Relying on Perry, Matthews and fill in the blank, to pick up the snaps lost by letting Peppers and Jones walk.

Only signing House at CB ranks #2.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I've never heard that said before. Any thoughts on Jeff Janis?

Tonight was Janis's last TD catch as a Packer. Clearly he is not in the race for a WR spot, unless injuries put him back in. Too many better options for a kick returner. If he makes the team, he has to be ultra special at gunner.

Mike McCarthy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When the Packers didn't resign Peppers, which I wish they would have, I fully expected them to go after a mid range FA OLB. When they didn't sign a FA OLB, I assumed they were going after Watt or another OLB with their first pick. Biegel?

This was the most disappointing off-season "non-moves" for me. Relying on Perry, Matthews and fill in the blank, to pick up the snaps lost by letting Peppers and Jones walk.

Only signing House at CB ranks #2.

Spot on. It really begs the question is TT watching the same game we are?? Is TT coherent? It makes me wonder when the needs have become this obvious. Seeing Matthews miss that sack tonight really sums it up, hell ted lets throw a few more million at Matthews, this truly has become mind blowing on the defensive side of the ball.

Carl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Spot on. It really begs the question is TT watching the same game we are?? Is TT coherent? It makes me wonder when the needs have become this obvious. Seeing Matthews miss that sack tonight really sums it up, hell ted lets throw a few more million at Matthews, this truly has become mind blowing on the defensive side of the ball.

Seeing Matthews miss one preseason sack really means nothing.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looks like we are going to have the same issue we had at corner last year. Injuries and guy's who just can't play. King is going to be fine. Unfortunately there's not another corner I feel good about on this roster. Maybe Ted should cut the entire group, and give some of those young WRs who probably won't make the 53 the Sam Shields treatment. They can't be any worse smh.

OP
OP
rodell330

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tonight was Janis's last TD catch as a Packer. Clearly he is not in the race for a WR spot, unless injuries put him back in. Too many better options for a kick returner. If he makes the team, he has to be ultra special at gunner.

Well mcaffrey put him on the bubble that's for sure.

RepStar15

"We're going to relentlessly chase perfection."
Reaction score
Not restructuring CM3's contract. He is the 2nd highest paid player on the team. Has not been the second best player since 2011. He should be getting no more than 6-8 million this year.
Also, wasting 4 draft picks on RB. I get we needed some backs, but take Jamal Williams then some UDFA. We needed more defense.

Mondio

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Isn't there a thread with the exact name already? and 14,327 others that have morphed into the same thing currently running on this board?

sjb12681

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Trading down and grabbing Kevin King.

Yuck.

Word out of camp is he is getting smoked by everyone who lines up across from him. Got torched by 2 backups last night.

I know it's only been a few weeks, but talk about him being a week 1 starter?!? Only on the GB Packers.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
I'm not ready to conclude that Kevin King is a bust or a bad pick, but if he, Randall and Rollins do end up that way, the Packers really need to take a long hard look at why using high draft picks at CB isn't getting results. Besides House, there isn't a CB on the team playing on anything but a rookie contract, which might be half the problem.

Patriotplayer90

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Trading down and grabbing Kevin King.

Yuck.

Word out of camp is he is getting smoked by everyone who lines up across from him. Got torched by 2 backups last night.

I know it's only been a few weeks, but talk about him being a week 1 starter?!? Only on the GB Packers.
He's a rookie, he will take his lumps. The bigger mistake was addressing the CB position with a couple of safeties in the first 2 rounds a couple of years ago. We would be set at the position, but it's the biggest area of concern, once again. And I don't trust Capers to use King as a press/zone corner. He'll probably put him in a position to fail as he did with all of the CBs last year.

H

HardRightEdge

A lot of folks assume the team will overload with 7 WRs again. I think DB is where they'll use the last one or two roster spots. Janis is clearly expendable.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
A lot of folks assume the team will overload with 7 WRs again. I think DB is where they'll use the last one or two roster spots. Janis is clearly expendable.

Agreed. I hope they don't keep garbage CB's on the 53 just to keep them, those are a dime a dozen in the NFL and if they want to put them on the PS, so be it. But if you got a few talented rookie WR's, I prefer seeing them as the #6 and #7 WR on the final 53 than trying to keep them safe on the PS. Problem is, you probably get more special teams attributes from a CB than a WR, unless his name is Janis.

Speaking of Janis....This is just a guess, but Janis is probably slowly sliding down the WR depth chart.....towards the middle bottom, he hasn't shown anything in awhile on kick returns, so his only value is at gunner on punts. He better be REALLY indispensable as a gunner to give him one of those 53 roster spots IMO.

I'm wondering if Davis deserves a shot at kickoff returns? I like what I saw on punt returns from him.

Members online

Latest posts