Packers biggest need

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
I think it's kind of a waste to have our staff do the probowl when we're never going to pursue any of those guys in Free Agency. Players "benefit" from our coaches while all we get is dummy scouting. The whole point is to familiarize those players with your staff to attract them in Free Agency while getting a look at who your probowl players work well with.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it's kind of a waste to have our staff do the probowl when we're never going to pursue any of those guys in Free Agency. Players "benefit" from our coaches while all we get is dummy scouting. The whole point is to familiarize those players with your staff to attract them in Free Agency while getting a look at who your probowl players work well with.

Not a whole lot of coaching goes on at the pro bowl. Or playing for that matter.

Hopefully some individual drills will take place. JJ watt vs Calvin Johnson in loose ball drills? Yes please.

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
No one would give us anything for finley
maybe & maybe not, but the packers should try to develop him into the pass offense as another option, even as an extra run blocker, like I said I have seen him lay out some LB'S & DE's one more look would not hurt...

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
maybe & maybe not, but the packers should try to develop him into the pass offense as another option, even as an extra run blocker, like I said I have seen him lay out some LB'S & DE's one more look would not hurt...
Hold on there, Hoss, let's not go crowning Fin the great blocker. He CHIP blocks well and can really lay guys out when he gets to drop his shoulder. When it comes to actual blocking there are TE that actually move/stop guys, and there are TE who just get in the defender's way. Fin is definitely the latter.

melvin dangerr

In it to Win it All
Reaction score
Hold on there, Hoss, let's not go crowning Fin the great blocker. He CHIP blocks well and can really lay guys out when he gets to drop his shoulder. When it comes to actual blocking there are TE that actually move/stop guys, and there are TE who just get in the defender's way. Fin is definitely the latter.
No I would not say great if I did I really overstated that, but he does have size, and speed (not the greatest hands though) but he might be a threat on short yardage plays for a first down,so some one in the backfield can help with pass protection, in the 9ers game there were times A-Rod could have picked up a first either with his legs or a short pass but was looking down field for a deep throw, Finley could be used more in short yard situations, may not work all the time, but he is a big target...

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
No I would not say great if I did I really overstated that, but he does have size, and speed (not the greatest hands though) but he might be a threat on short yardage plays for a first down,so some one in the backfield can help with pass protection, in the 9ers game there were times A-Rod could have picked up a first either with his legs or a short pass but was looking down field for a deep throw, Finley could be used more in short yard situations, may not work all the time, but he is a big target...
Fin has the hands if he remembers to use them.
49 caught to just 2 dropped after the bye, and a franchise record bagged to boot

SVang_8704

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we can grab Barrett Jones round 1...it would be great and if we can grab a rb like eddy Lacey, it would be awesome

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can discipline be a need.... I would really like to see how our season plays out without mental lapses, blown coverage’s, missed tackles, loss of gap integrity, and a little bit of drive. Do we really need to have two week to figure out we cannot let one of the greatest running backs of this decade run free on the outside. That’s football 101. Even Rodgers isn’t without blame; looking for the deep ball on third and short while getting the pocket collapsed on him, just to see the underneath receivers are open.

You can put this on the coaching staff, player intelligence, inexperience, injuries or whatever. Don't get me wrong, I feel that we need some help up-front on both sides of the ball and some linebackers with some grit.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Can discipline be a need.... I would really like to see how our season plays out without mental lapses, blown coverage’s, missed tackles, loss of gap integrity, and a little bit of drive. Do we really need to have two week to figure out we cannot let one of the greatest running backs of this decade run free on the outside. That’s football 101. Even Rodgers isn’t without blame; looking for the deep ball on third and short while getting the pocket collapsed on him, just to see the underneath receivers are open.
THIS.

Lex Luger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Biggest need: Defensive linemen
Second biggest need: Offensive line,

Order by need by exact position:

1. DE -Pickett is getting to the only can play a few snaps a game point
2. LT -Newhouse is a backup. LT is too important to not have a dominant player starting.
3. DT -Raji needs at least 1/3 of the snaps in the game off to be effective when he's in there, he's tired by end of games.
4. C -EVD is same as Newhouse, not dominant enough to be starter but makes good backup.
5. RT -I hope Bulaga was hurt before he really got hurt because when he was in there, he looked soft and weak. Barclay is backup material.

If you dont want a soft team, it starts with lines and Packers are a soft, smoke and mirrors team. Hopefully AJ Hawk who hasnt forced a fumble in 5 full seasons in a row and didnt defend against a single pass this season will be gone too. Bishop and Brad Jones make decent MLB pair. Walden makes a good backup. I'd like to see the Packers go out and sign a big name free agent OLB to start opposite Matthews, but we all know that won't happen. Matthews took too many snaps during games this season as well. We need another outside pass rusher so Matthews can get some rest so he isn't gassed at end of games. Maybe one of the Packers many backup linebackers can step it up and be a decent passrusher.

CB and safetys looks good. Williams, Hayward, Shields look strong. All 3 are very talented. We need to bring in some more help at safety though. Morgan Burnett and MD Jennings played ok. I wouldnt mind both of them starting next year, but we need some solid backups for them. Woodson needs to be cut. He had a great career, but he's too slow to play CB, and he just doesnt make a good SS. He gonna be in hall of fame because of his time with Packers. We don't need to let him play safety just because he had a few good years at CB with Packers.

At RB position, we're fine. We need better linemen, not go out and overpay RB when there are so many good RB out there. Ryan Grant could get 1500 yards if he stayed healthy and played behind dominant offensive line.

WR is fine as well. We have 4 good WR still even if Jennings and Driver leave assuming you resign Finley(Finley is a WR in my book). You can resign Finley for cheap, but Jennings is gonna get too much money. Think about it. You can sign Finley for 3 years at 22.5-25 million, or you can sign Jennings for 6 years at 80 million. Finley is still very young, much younger than Greg Jennings, and he's still very healthy. He started to come on in the end, and he's a bigger TD threat in red zone than Greg Jennings.

I know I havent addressed most of the backups they currently have. Thats because almost all of them looked mediocre. Only backup I saw that looked like he had talent this year was Mike Neal oddly enough.Hopefully he builds on this year, but he'll probably blow out some muscle during preseason again.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Biggest need: Defensive linemen
Second biggest need: Offensive line,

Order by need by exact position:

1. DE -Pickett is getting to the only can play a few snaps a game point
2. LT -Newhouse is a backup. LT is too important to not have a dominant player starting.
3. DT -Raji needs at least 1/3 of the snaps in the game off to be effective when he's in there, he's tired by end of games.
4. C -EVD is same as Newhouse, not dominant enough to be starter but makes good backup.
5. RT -I hope Bulaga was hurt before he really got hurt because when he was in there, he looked soft and weak. Barclay is backup material.

If you dont want a soft team, it starts with lines and Packers are a soft, smoke and mirrors team. Hopefully AJ Hawk who hasnt forced a fumble in 5 full seasons in a row and didnt defend against a single pass this season will be gone too. Bishop and Brad Jones make decent MLB pair. Walden makes a good backup. I'd like to see the Packers go out and sign a big name free agent OLB to start opposite Matthews, but we all know that won't happen. Matthews took too many snaps during games this season as well. We need another outside pass rusher so Matthews can get some rest so he isn't gassed at end of games. Maybe one of the Packers many backup linebackers can step it up and be a decent passrusher.

CB and safetys looks good. Williams, Hayward, Shields look strong. All 3 are very talented. We need to bring in some more help at safety though. Morgan Burnett and MD Jennings played ok. I wouldnt mind both of them starting next year, but we need some solid backups for them. Woodson needs to be cut. He had a great career, but he's too slow to play CB, and he just doesnt make a good SS. He gonna be in hall of fame because of his time with Packers. We don't need to let him play safety just because he had a few good years at CB with Packers.

At RB position, we're fine. We need better linemen, not go out and overpay RB when there are so many good RB out there. Ryan Grant could get 1500 yards if he stayed healthy and played behind dominant offensive line.

WR is fine as well. We have 4 good WR still even if Jennings and Driver leave assuming you resign Finley(Finley is a WR in my book). You can resign Finley for cheap, but Jennings is gonna get too much money. Think about it. You can sign Finley for 3 years at 22.5-25 million, or you can sign Jennings for 6 years at 80 million. Finley is still very young, much younger than Greg Jennings, and he's still very healthy. He started to come on in the end, and he's a bigger TD threat in red zone than Greg Jennings.

I know I havent addressed most of the backups they currently have. Thats because almost all of them looked mediocre. Only backup I saw that looked like he had talent this year was Mike Neal oddly enough.Hopefully he builds on this year, but he'll probably blow out some muscle during preseason again.
1. We only play Base on first an second downs anyway, if that. Pickett is the only other NT on the roster, and Worthy, and to a lesser extent Daniels, are the only other guys who we can plug to Base.
2. Nobody you draft will beat Newhouse for the starting gig. Period. Sherrod has a small chance if he makes it back for the offseason.
3. If we used him as a pure NT we wouldn have that problem, or getting another NT besides Pickett.
4. EDS or GVR? Because I think EDS does well enough to start, but needs to work on his protection adjustments.
5. Bulaga was playing with a brace on and that really funked him up.

6. Hawk had a good year and costs 5 mil to release. Smith > Jones. We already have Perry, Moses has shown good rush ability too, but we do need another dominant rotation guy.

7. McMillian WILL beat out Jennings for that starting spot.

8. We're good if we can get a powerback, Harris isn big enough to take a full game load for an entire season, so he'll need a little help from Green and a big boy. Grant and Benson are free agents and I don't count "IR" Starks

9. Can't really argue with that.

10. Our backups for the most part are fine. Neal is worthless against the run so he'll never start.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Teams generally don't have 3 O-line backups the quality of Newhouse, Barclay, and EDS.

Newhouse made some nice strides this season. Barclay will probably return to being a backup with Bulaga returning, but at least we know he is capable. It's still possible they will draft another center, but EDS played well late when moved to center and has the full endorsement of Rodgers as the starter.

Any FA upgrades to Newhouse would be pretty pricey. A tackle in the 1st wouldn't be a bad thing, but no lineman drafted at 26 is even going to be a guarantee to replace any of the 3. I'd still rather look at defense first. Sherrod, if healthy, will hopefully be in the mix somewhere as well this year.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jennings won't get 6 years/$80M.

His best bet is Vincent Jackson money, (5/$55) and I think he'd be lucky to get that.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jennings won't get Vincent Jackson money let alone more.

Finley isn't a FA.

Un4GivN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jennings won't get Vincent Jackson money let alone more.

Finley isn't a FA.

I don't agree, I would say Jennings has a great chance to catch a Vincent Jackson contract or very near. Jennings is the same age as Jackson heading into free agency, more career yards and touchdown. And Jennings played on a team being one of 2 or even 3 feature receivers. Jackson had Gates and that's about it. And his character, though not so much this year, has been impeccable.

I see no reason he wouldnt expect the same going rate besides his injury this past year which he was able to return from before the end of year, especially for a team like the Dolphins in dire need of a base to build a WR unit.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't agree, I would say Jennings has a great chance to catch a Vincent Jackson contract or very near. Jennings is the same age as Jackson heading into free agency, more career yards and touchdown. And Jennings played on a team being one of 2 or even 3 feature receivers. Jackson had Gates and that's about it. And his character, though not so much this year, has been impeccable.

I see no reason he wouldnt expect the same going rate besides his injury this past year which he was able to return from before the end of year, especially for a team like the Dolphins in dire need of a base to build a WR unit.

Hi welcome to the forum.

Well its interesting bc the JS spoke with a scout on this very topic who agreed with me.

“I put Vincent Jackson last year up in the elite spectrum, a Pro Bowl-caliber player,” the scout said. “He’s also 6-5 and still can do a lot more things. Greg can’t compete with Vincent right now.

Lex Luger

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The packers should try and draft the C or RT from Alabama. If they have to trade up, then so be it. Packers should pretty much just try to draft as many OL and DL from Alabama as possible. You don't get elite maulers from Central Michigan, Maine, and Tennessee-Chattanooga.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
I think the tackling or lack there of, comes from a style and attitude of big hits on players and not the wrap up and bring them down style they learned
The loss of Two a days and padded practices have really hurt the art of tackling in the NFL. Not just the Pack, you see it all over. I really miss the old days of football.

OP
OP
ivo610

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The loss of Two a days and padded practices have really hurt the art of tackling in the NFL. Not just the Pack, you see it all over. I really miss the old days of football.

You think players learn or forget to tackle in the nfl? No that happens long before.

The change in hitting practices is the best thing to happen to players as far their health goes since the face mask.

Members online

Latest posts