Packers biggest need

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers need to acquire/develop/draft a #1 corner. We don't have one and all season we have been getting burned.

Starting early in the season we have been getting killed by mega WRs; Colston, Wayne, shorts, Johnson, Marshall, and finally Crabtree.

Woodson is no longer a coverage beast, tramon has no more excuses. Do we try Hayward? Do we look to the open market? Do we draft one with the idea of developing him?

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think our biggest need is something I thought we addressed last year: a DL who can get pressure on a QB.
We never ever see a DL sack QBs. Matthews and the OLB Walden, Moses, Perry have to do it all, mostly Matthews.

Against this QB, and one like Brees, you need some pressure up the middle.

It leads to our 3rd down defense being so pathetic. We were good on 1st & 2nd downs in the 1st half. We could have forced 3, 4, 5 more punts with 3rd down pressures up the middle. But instead, we have to blitz, usually off the edges, and it makes it so easy for Kaepernick to run away for big yards.

49ers converted 8-of-13 third downs that led to a nearly 17-minute advantage in time of possession.
As for the Packers offense, it was just 5 -of-12 on third down.

PackFanNChiTown

Bear Fan's Bane
Reaction score
I think our biggest need is something I thought we addressed last year: a DL who can get pressure on a QB.
We never ever see a DL sack QBs. Matthews and the OLB Walden, Moses, Perry have to do it all, mostly Matthews.

Against this QB, and one like Brees, you need some pressure up the middle.

It leads to our 3rd down defense being so pathetic. We were good on 1st & 2nd downs in the 1st half. We could have forced 3, 4, 5 more punts with 3rd down pressures up the middle. But instead, we have to blitz, usually off the edges, and it makes it so easy for Kaepernick to run away for big yards.

49ers converted 8-of-13 third downs that led to a nearly 17-minute advantage in time of possession.
As for the Packers offense, it was just 5 -of-12 on third down.
I wonder on how many of those 3rd down conversions Capers sent three instead of a strong blitz package? Not that the blitz was working all that well against CK mind you.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We need an offensive line that dominates, and a defensive front 7 that does the same. That's where we were outplayed. To do this will likely require additional personnel (some of them on IR), and better coaching (Campen?). We have the best QB in the NFL, and one of the youngest teams; and have been in the playoffs 5 of the last 6 years. The future is bright.

jaybadger82

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Statistically, blitzing has tended to frustrate CK over the course of his starts (he isn't that good when he has to go through his progressions). The problem is that he consistently took off through gaps in the pocket. He's a tricky player to bring pressure against because the defensive linemen have to think more about maintaining their spacing and protecting their gaps than just pinning their ears back and going after the QB. Even with a spy, CK is fast enough to get out for big gains.

The pass rush never really adjusted for this despite getting burned several times. The man coverage in the secondary wasn't helping. Would've been cool to see their WRs get flagged for holding once since they were doing so constantly when the QB took off.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers need linebackers, linebackers, linebackers... inside linebackers, outside linebackers, athletic linebackers. The linebackers yesterday looked slow and fundamentally unsound.

Southpaw

Endorphin Junkie
Reaction score
First we need a new DC

in addition to that

We need another or two more big bodied run stuffing ends (one to replace Pickett if he's not back)
We need a speedy inside linebacker that can replace Hawk
We need a couple beast offensive linemen

We need to boot Tramon and find a replacement.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
2 new ILB's are needed. Hawk was better this year but he can not get any bigger faster or stronger. I would try to get troubled Rolando Mclain from the Raiders and draft another physical freak show to develop next to him.

Tramon needs to figure it out or be cut. I don't care if he is in the right area or can recover with his speed when he his body is out of position constantly and he can't tackle. Something is wrong with him and either it gets fixed or he gets replaced. That Mathieu kid could be gotten on a low buy in the draft.

Getting some new strength coaches will help get the players bigger, faster and stronger and getting a new DC and new defensive staff that stresses physical play and sound fundamental tacking will help. Capers can take his booth chess game somewhere else or into retirement.

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yesterday I predicted we'd pick an inside linebacker in the first round of the draft. Last night we found out why. I also predicted we take a 3rd round cornerback. We also found out why last night. And finally, I predicted we take a 2nd round WR. Last night we found out why because our best one is leaving.

Oh, and finally when it comes to pressure up the middle. I saw Raji just standing there in the middle of the play on more than one occasion last night. Kaepernick is dropped back and Raji just stands not even attempting to rush after his initial move was blocked. I know it's tough for these big guys who play a lot of snaps. But when does it come to a point where we got to say "fu*k it" This guy is just lazy....?

ThePerfectBeard

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We need an offensive line that dominates, and a defensive front 7 that does the same. That's where we were outplayed. To do this will likely require additional personnel (some of them on IR), and better coaching (Campen?). We have the best QB in the NFL, and one of the youngest teams; and have been in the playoffs 5 of the last 6 years. The future is bright.
We definitely need a team to win in the trenches, but we are definitely going to need a wide receiver with Jennings most likely gone. I personally think that we have personal, but they aren't coached effectively. We have not learned fundamentals and the game plans on defense have been atrocious. I think our O-line will be fine, but Rodgers needs to learn to take what is there. He misses people in the middle of the field all the time.

PackerChef

Cheesehead
Reaction score
2 new ILB's are needed. Hawk was better this year but he can not get any bigger faster or stronger. I would try to get troubled Rolando Mclain from the Raiders and draft another physical freak show to develop next to him.
Everyone forgets that we've been playing without our BEST ILB all season. I still believe that if we would have had Bishop, it would have made a huge difference. I don't disagree that another ILB is needed, but two, no not at all. I think that would be complete overkill and overlooking one of the better players on our team.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I want 1 of these 2 to replace Tramon

Xavier Rhodes CB FSU 6'2 220 1st rd for sure
David Amerson CB NC State 6'2 200 2-3 round

ILB need both

Alec Ogletree ILB Georgia 6'3 235 sprinter speed 2nd round
Kiko Alonso Oregon 6'3 245 4th round

WR need 1
Aaron Dobson 6'2 204 Marshall 3rd round
Aaron Mellette 6'3 218 Elon 5th round
Conner Vernon 6'1 200 Duke 5th round
Jasper Collins 5'11 190 Mt Union 7th or UDFA

OT
Kyle Long 6'7 310 Oregon. Needs work but huge upside and not someone you are going to move inside. might have to trade up in the 2nd round to get him

Strength Coach. Pay him whatever it takes. Scott Cochran Alabama

DC Teryl Austin Ravens secondary coach or Don Martindale Ravens ilb coach

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
How about starting by having our last 3 #1 picks playing. Then throw in our 2 ILB's that are on IR. draft another big guy in the first round or an OLB. look for DB in second. I think we are fine on coaching staff. They took us to the divisional while overcoming crippling injuries.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Alec Ogletree will be long gone by the time we pick in round 2. Javius Minter of LSU might be around and would be a good pick for round 2 for ILB.

Plus, we don't need an OT as much as we need a C.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Rhodes. He has a weird vibe to him. He plays like he is in a trance or something. He isn't all chirpy...he is a stone cold killer out there.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How about starting by having our last 3 #1 picks playing. Then throw in our 2 ILB's that are on IR. draft another big guy in the first round or an OLB. look for DB in second. I think we are fine on coaching staff. They took us to the divisional while overcoming crippling injuries.

None of the ILB's can cover all that well. I would keep them around as a rotation while the new guys learn how to play at the NFL level. None of them are fast enough east to west.

Packers80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As rough as that was.. it's time to move on. Yes, it leaves a bitter taste in all our mouths, but what's done is done.

Free agency.. yeah, we all know Ted Thompson isn't active in free agency, and I don't see the Packers making moves in this department. If they did, they would go out and re-sign Greg Jennings.

NFL Draft- Here we go. Needs that I think will be targeted:
Offensive Line - We all know that the line gave up the most sacks in the league (51). When Sherrod returns, he could play on the line somewhere. I don't think guard is too much of a concern, and obviously Center, where Jeff Saturday has been benched. So OT or C would be nice.
Wide Receiver - Ted Thompson has drafted the most elite receiving core in the league. And not one 1st rounder. If the Packers do not re-sign Jennings, don't be surprised if the Packers select a 2nd round receiver (Nelson, Jennings, Cobb - all 2nd rounders)
Running Back - We have to retain Dujan Harris. I love the little guy, and if we can get a running back to compliment his style with more of a bigger, bruising running style, I think we'd be fine. (maybe re-sign Cedric Benson)
Tight End - I hope the Packers cut Finley. With that said, I think D.J. Williams can be the next guy up, and Crabtree isn't a bad compliment. But we can all agree that we won't have that elite talent there at the position.
Defensive End- Will Worthy, Daniels, and Neal be the future at our defensive end positions? Tough to say. I think Jerel Worthy will be the man to take over for Pickett, but that other spot is up in the air. (depending on if we will still run the 3-4, and if Capers will still be here)
Defensive Tackle - Another big tackle to plug up the hole would be nice. If Raji needs a play off, having that second tackle who can get the job done would be a plus.
Saftey - I don't feel our defense is physical enough. You're starting to see a lot of teams who have safeties that set the tone for the rest of their defense. We need that. More depth, or even a guy who takes over M.D. Jennings spot next to Burnett would be nice. Ever since we lost Nick Collins, we've lost that.

Thoughts?

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Agree with most of what you say, but we need to keep either Jennings or Finley, so I'm not at all in favor of cutting Finley unless we have no choice or unless Jennings is signed.

And don't worry about Harris. He's under contract for 2 more seasons.

Wood Chipper

Fantasy Football Guru
Reaction score
But in all seriousness we need to get our offensive line straightened out. Eifert is a luxury pick. If Rodgers has time to throw then Nelson, Jones, and Cobb will be enough.

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
1) Cut AJ Hawk... free up the cap space, draft a more athletic starter to pair with Desmond Bishop.
2) Keep Finley... I don't like the idea of losing Jennings and Finley in the same offseason. Finley is still big and talented.
3) Open competition at Offensive Tackle between Newhouse, Bulaga, Sherrod and Barclay. Best two players start.

Reaction score
Okay, this is going to be my first post (been lurking for a while) and I hope I don't get chastised for what I'm about to say because it seems to be the opposite of the common opinion on here.

I don't think the problem is Capers. I don't know of a DC that could have put together a dominate defense given the pieces he has to work with. Sure, there's plenty of improvement to be had, but being forced to play Brad Jones and Erik Walden like their true starters along with a makeshift defensive line makes it VERY difficult to defend the run, short-passing, and broken play QB scramble. Merely adding Bishop, Perry, and Smith back to the LB corps may not make this a dominate defense, but could it keep a team from scoring > 31 points?

If Sherrod can get healthy and push Bulaga I don't see why we would HAVE to take an OL with the first pick, though I would completely understand if TT would go after someone like Barrett Jones (provided his foot is good to go).

First, I don't think it's the pass defense that is beating us, but I do believe Shields and Hayward have some big time in them and Tramon is Tramon. I honestly can't tell if M.D. Jennings or McMillian have what it takes to take over for Woodsen when he's done, but if they're even close, I'm going for an inside linebacker and/or an interior D-lineman given the contracts that Pickett and Hawk have (boy I hope they can re-work Pickett's contract).

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts