Packers Biggest Competition In The Nfc Is....

OP
OP
Jules

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
I don't remember enough from last years Pack/Pats game. I would have to go back but do you remember? How did the Pack D do against the Pats TEs and Welker? Did anyone in particular kill them on the Pats offense? Was there a lot of pressure on Brady?

I swear all I remember is the Pack hanging around the whole time with Flynn and the Pats o lineman running down the field like in slow motion.....

As for the Pack O vs. the D it's tough to judge with Rodgers having been out. It's a new beast with him in there.

Vinniemack84

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't remember enough from last years Pack/Pats game. I would have to go back but do you remember? How did the Pack D do against the Pats TEs and Welker? Did anyone in particular kill them on the Pats offense? Was there a lot of pressure on Brady?

I swear all I remember is the Pack hanging around the whole time with Flynn and the Pats o lineman running down the field like in slow motion.....

As for the Pack O vs. the D it's tough to judge with Rodgers having been out. It's a new beast with him in there.

I'll start by saying, had Rodgers played that game the Pats woulda lost almost without question. As for the O, we did a good job moving the ball, however Welker was not what he is this season. This season he is full recovered from his knee surgery and playing like the Welker we know, last year I think he led the league in drops (maybe not finished that way but pretty close). He was looking too quick to run before securing catches due to my guess is being nervous on that knee. There is none of that this year. The two rookie TE's were also still working their way into the system and were not looked to the way they are now.

I only say that because with the addition of Rodgers the Pack would be significantly better on O...however, this Pat's O is also significantly better especially with the addition of a very strong running attack. Brian Waters on the O-line is also paying huge dividends. He is a monster at blitz pick up (see the final drive of the Cowboys game). Also the Pats D this year has gotten better and better, they do not deserve to be thought of as 'soft' any longer. Haynesworth is finally healthy and in shape...this week against the cowboys he was double teamed on every snap he was in just about. He is getting pressure finally. I hate the guy, I wanted him to fail...but he is actually looking like the old Haynesworth little by little. Keep in mind he didn't play with the Skins due to that whole mess...he is about a year removed from real football. It has taken him this much time to get back into game speed. If he continues to improve we are going to be a different animal. Spikes is finally in the starting lineup after being injured on and off, he is all intensity. Exactly what the Pats D has been lacking. He is dirty, he is mean, and he is very good at getting pressure up the middle. Arrington leads the league in INTs...and we are getting sacks / turnovers when we need them most. Clutchness is what its all about to me.

I am the farthest thing from a blind homer...I really try to look objectively at things. Last year I didn't think we had a real shot at winning the SB. despite our 14-2 record, we were to soft on both sides of the ball. Not enough fire. Not enough 'Clutchness'. This year I'm seeing a different team. Lots of growth needs to happen before we can contend with the likes of the Packers, but I'm optimistic about that growth. That said...the Packers are by far the favorites right now.

OP
OP
Jules

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
I am the farthest thing from a blind homer...I really try to look objectively at things. Last year I didn't think we had a real shot at winning the SB. despite our 14-2 record, we were to soft on both sides of the ball. Not enough fire. Not enough 'Clutchness'. This year I'm seeing a different team. Lots of growth needs to happen before we can contend with the likes of the Packers, but I'm optimistic about that growth. That said...the Packers are by far the favorites right now.

Neither did I, but I was not sure who it was going to be. I was not sold on the Falcons either. I was waiting for that team to emerge. I felt it might be GB if they got by Philly in the WC round since they had that look to me going in.

In the AFC I was not sure. I mean, the Pats seemed to have the road paved IMO. I honestly probably was being a homer but I felt even with our injuries that the Colts might have been the only team to challenge the Pats since we could match them point for point.

But, then the Jets came in and beat the Colts and Pats after not impressing for a while in the regular season. Who saw this coming? Honestly if not for a ridiculous time out by Caldwell and a special teams breakdown in the end we likely beat the Jets. And then the Pats might have made the SB for all we know.

The thing that is starting to get me is that it's still early enough that there has to be a darkhorse ready to emerge by season's end to challenge in either conference. This is the NFL, there always seems to be one or two. Most seem to assume it's just the Packers/Pats/Ravens.

I have a feeling someone different will challenge in the AFC in the end but I am not quite sure yet who catches lightening in a bottle.

Then again in 2009 it was pretty predictable. Saints and Colts dominated all year and made the SB. Can we expect this to happen again? Is it that obvious it's between two teams in the AFC and one in the NFC unless major injuries occur?

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
No the hype doesn't scare me either. But their team almost eliminated us in the Wildcard game.... again, we had no control over if their kicker made those kicks. He missed 2 of em. Had he made em, we'd have lost. Imagine that.

They are certainly capable of defeating us if we play badly, commit a few turnovers.
I don't agree Frank. Nobody will ever know how the game would have unfolded if one or both of those field goals had been made. You can't think it would have scripted out play by play for the rest of the game the same way can you?
They didn't win and that is that. The Eagles team doesn't appear to be as good as last year and the Packers are looking better this year than last so I don't get the fear factor there.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i think the giants might pose a threat though... are they on your schedule?
Yes they are, and we whooped their ***** last year, in a very windy Lambeau Field, 45-17, and it wasn't that close, they only scored because our defenders slipped. I'm not at all worried about the Giants. Eli gets too confused with our defense, and their secondary is just too slow to be able to cover our guys.

As for the Ravens, we also won against them at Lambeau in 09, 27-14. And it's not like their D was bad, they were ranked #3 in yards and in PPG.

Until I see Joe Flacco performing like and elite QB (his deep touch has improved greatly, but he still makes too many mental mistakes, specially when his running game doesn't work), I'm not worried that much.

I really don't care about how good the opposing D is, they won't stop Rodgers, they can only contain him. And I'll take my chances all day long with Eli and Flacco. The problem is when we're facing Brees and Brady, and we can't confuse the opposing QB.

As good as this offense has been, our team wins with defense. Just look at the games. It's always the defense making key plays to win the game. It was Tramon Williams intercepting Vick and Matt Ryan, it was Shields and Raji (!) intercepting Hanie, it was Nick Collins with a pick 6 in the SB, it was Burnett and Matthews stopping Ingram on 4th and goal, it was Matthews stopping Newton on 4th down, it was the D shutting down the Falcons and the Rams' offense...

whoartthou

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes they are, and we whooped their ***** last year, in a very windy Lambeau Field, 45-17, and it wasn't that close, they only scored because our defenders slipped. I'm not at all worried about the Giants. Eli gets too confused with our defense, and their secondary is just too slow to be able to cover our guys.

As for the Ravens, we also won against them at Lambeau in 09, 27-14. And it's not like their D was bad, they were ranked #3 in yards and in PPG.

Until I see Joe Flacco performing like and elite QB (his deep touch has improved greatly, but he still makes too many mental mistakes, specially when his running game doesn't work), I'm not worried that much.

I really don't care about how good the opposing D is, they won't stop Rodgers, they can only contain him. And I'll take my chances all day long with Eli and Flacco. The problem is when we're facing Brees and Brady, and we can't confuse the opposing QB.

As good as this offense has been, our team wins with defense. Just look at the games. It's always the defense making key plays to win the game. It was Tramon Williams intercepting Vick and Matt Ryan, it was Shields and Raji (!) intercepting Hanie, it was Nick Collins with a pick 6 in the SB, it was Burnett and Matthews stopping Ingram on 4th and goal, it was Matthews stopping Newton on 4th down, it was the D shutting down the Falcons and the Rams' offense...

yea Defense always wins games (i would wager 90 % of teams in nfl history won a superbowl becuase of superb defense in the post-season).

OP
OP
Jules

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
yea Defense always wins games (i would wager 90 % of teams in nfl history won a superbowl becuase of superb defense in the post-season).

Defense is one of the reasons why the Steelers/Ravens/Jets are such dangerous teams when wild cards. Those D's travel well.

Jets/Ravens have been the wild cards the last two years and have won games. This year remains to be seen yet but regardless the better the D the more likely those teams can have a shot at real upsets on the road IMO.

The Giants of 07 for example too. Steelers of 05. (*vomit*)

The Packers did it last year. And I still feel their D travels well. I think their D still gets too shafted at times.If not for the Rodgers/Brees show week 1 and the Cam Newton air show week 2 (even though he turned it over several times) the Pack D I think would be ranked a lot higher?

You know who has a good D in the AFC? Bengals. Underrated.

OP
OP
Jules

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
Speaking of the Bengals, they are a legit playoff sleeper. No joke.

The Bengals are 4-2 and on a bye week.

After the bye they have:

at Seahawks
At Titans
Steelers
at Ravens
Browns
at Steelers
Texans
at Rams
Cardinals
Ravens

And they already have the tiebreaker over the Bills.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Defense is one of the reasons why the Steelers/Ravens/Jets are such dangerous teams when wild cards. Those D's travel well.

Jets/Ravens have been the wild cards the last two years and have won games. This year remains to be seen yet but regardless the better the D the more likely those teams can have a shot at real upsets on the road IMO.

The Giants of 07 for example too. Steelers of 05. (*vomit*)

The Packers did it last year. And I still feel their D travels well. I think their D still gets too shafted at times.If not for the Rodgers/Brees show week 1 and the Cam Newton air show week 2 (even though he turned it over several times) the Pack D I think would be ranked a lot higher?

You know who has a good D in the AFC? Bengals. Underrated.
Yeah, I don't think they have a good defense, what I think they do have is one of the best DCs in the league in Mike Zimmer. I don't think their personel is that good.

As far as playoffs, with the schedule you posted, I see them losing at least 5 games, at Tennessee, at Pittsburgh, at Baltimore, against the Texans and against Baltimore. Their wins against Cleveland, Jacksonville, Painter-Colts weren't exactly though, and winning at home against an overachieving Buffalo team that had just beat NE in an emotional, exhausting game was just an upset.

I don't think 9-7 will make the playoffs this year, other than in any of the west divisions...

thepackers1fan4

Pack attack 4 ever!
Reaction score
The 49ers.

Yes for me it's not the Lions. Or the Saints. Or whoever the flavor of the week is in the NFC East.

I love the feel of this Niners team. I think they will be here all season. Harbaugh is that good. He has them believing and he is a great coach.

They are one team I could see coming into Green Bay in the playoffs and trying to force you guys into a rough low scoring game so they have a chance to steal it in the end.

I love Brees but that Saints team does not scare me on the road. Lions have some growing up to do IMO. Talent is there but I am not feeling them. Giants are hot and cold.

Thoughts?

The Packers are the team to beat no one is really competing with them right now, but they can be beat just depends if they're having a bad day

OP
OP
Jules

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
With the Lions losing their second in a row how have opinions changed about the Lions? And the Falcons too for that matter.

OP
OP
Jules

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
Yikes.

Colts quit tonight. I am not sure how much you can take away from the Saints based on this game. The Colts IMO should fire a few coaches asap.

buckshotrob

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ok the saints i think are the 2nd best team in the nfc the lions and 49ers wont hold up philly will reboud even kno i hate there concetiedness but wont go no where i lost all respect for atlanta when i went to the packers falcons game and the falcons fans walked out when there down by 8 points and there was nothin but packer fans screamin go pack go we are everywhere i think we had more fans then they did thats sad we where up by 8 with10 mins lol nfc east is weak and so is the west so we got this

OP
OP
Jules

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
ok the saints i think are the 2nd best team in the nfc the lions and 49ers wont hold up philly will reboud even kno i hate there concetiedness but wont go no where i lost all respect for atlanta when i went to the packers falcons game and the falcons fans walked out when there down by 8 points and there was nothin but packer fans screamin go pack go we are everywhere i think we had more fans then they did thats sad we where up by 8 with10 mins lol nfc east is weak and so is the west so we got this

My 2008 Colts started the year 3-4 and rattled off the rest of the year to finish 12-4. It's possible, anything is in this league. That was not even a great 2008 team, just caught lightening in a bottle and had some lucky breaks to win several games. It can happy to ANY team who has enough talent on it.

This is why it's so tough for me to believe the SB will be the obvious Packers vs. Pats/Ravens.

I like the Packers odds the best vs. anyone in the NFC and how they matchup with them all. I do think there are a few who could give you a tough game in January though.

As for the AFC I just am not sure. If the odds faves from both conferences before the season even made the SB actually make it then that is pretty suprising to me.

If the Eagles rebound the Giants are in trouble. I am not sure the Skins can hang in there anymore and the Cowboys....well we know how they are.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
Speaking of the Bengals, they are a legit playoff sleeper. No joke.

The Bengals are 4-2 and on a bye week.

After the bye they have:

at Seahawks
At Titans
Steelers
at Ravens
Browns
at Steelers
Texans
at Rams
Cardinals
Ravens

And they already have the tiebreaker over the Bills.

at Seahawks Win
At Titans Win
Steelers Lose
at Ravens Lose
Browns Win
at Steelers Win (Yes I see them actually beating Pittsburgh once this year)
Texans Lose
at Rams Win
Cardinals Win
Ravens Lose

OP
OP
Jules

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
The 49ers.

Yes for me it's not the Lions. Or the Saints. Or whoever the flavor of the week is in the NFC East.

I love the feel of this Niners team. I think they will be here all season. Harbaugh is that good. He has them believing and he is a great coach.

They are one team I could see coming into Green Bay in the playoffs and trying to force you guys into a rough low scoring game so they have a chance to steal it in the end.

I love Brees but that Saints team does not scare me on the road. Lions have some growing up to do IMO. Talent is there but I am not feeling them. Giants are hot and cold.

Thoughts?

Going back to my original thoughts. I go back and forth on many NFC teams and in the playoffs this still seems like the best battle to me right now.

While I would pick GB I think the Niners have the best shot at it.

Rodgers+Harbaugh=full beast mode battle.

Seriously, those are the best stories of the season thus far to me too. These two men.

Loran

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My opinion changes every week on which team. For some reason I still think the Falcons would give us some trouble. They're a dome team but are built more as a outdoor team.

Any team could present some type of problems but its going to be very difficult to stop that offense.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
NFL32 just had everyone on the Niners bandwagon. My son is a big Niners fan and he said Defense wins championships. Combine that with Gore's running and the Niners will beat the Packers. The Packers aren't built to beat a team with a strong defense and a strong running game. My response; What do you call the Pittsburgh Steelers??

But at this point in time, while I think the Niners can win their division. (Heck our local high school could win that division.) I think they will be one and done in the playoffs because of their QB. The answer to a big D with a running game? A quarterback who can go the length of the field in 3 plays. If the Big D/Running team doesn't have a QB that can keep up, fergit about it.

Members online

Latest posts