Packers Biggest Competition In The Nfc Is....

OP
OP
Jules

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
Now don't get me wrong, I am not picking the Niners to beat the Packers in the playoffs. Just think it would be a good game, maybe.

Most have been high on the Saints to be the biggest challenge. Still possible though with Brees leading the way and you never know. I just don't trust that team on the road and we have all been through this.

In the AFC I won't even worry about it right now. I mean if the Pack are reasonably healthy and in the SB your team is built for the Colts stadium. Your pass rush will be faster. Your offense near unstoppable. Too good indoors. Not to mention if you were going against a hated AFC rival then all of Indiana would be on your side too likely.

Does anyone here have concerns about bad weather games in January? I am not as familiar with your cold weather games in recent years.

whoartthou

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now don't get me wrong, I am not picking the Niners to beat the Packers in the playoffs. Just think it would be a good game, maybe.

Most have been high on the Saints to be the biggest challenge. Still possible though with Brees leading the way and you never know. I just don't trust that team on the road and we have all been through this.

In the AFC I won't even worry about it right now. I mean if the Pack are reasonably healthy and in the SB your team is built for the Colts stadium. Your pass rush will be faster. Your offense near unstoppable. Too good indoors. Not to mention if you were going against a hated AFC rival then all of Indiana would be on your side too likely.

Does anyone here have concerns about bad weather games in January? I am not as familiar with your cold weather games in recent years.

I can imagine packers vs patriots or PACKERS VS RAVENS.

*****, all the people at the colts stadium will be COMPLETELY against the patriots or ravens.

OP
OP
Jules

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
*****, all the people at the colts stadium will be COMPLETELY against the patriots or ravens.

Absolutely

However, those are not the only two teams I could see in the AFC being in the big one right now.It's still early yet and there will be a few more who will challenge come playoff time.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
The AFC has yet to manifest, it's still a wide open field. Any one of those teams (Patriots, Jets, Ravens, Steelers) can suffer a meltdown. A team you may not think of as being in contention may rise up and surprise everyone.

PackAttack13

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would really have to go with the 49ers. I think the lions are really still just hype and any other team in the NFC has a lot of issues. Now im not saying the packers of the 49ers dont have problems but I think they are the 2 best put together teams in the NFC.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
The 9ers don't scare me. The Packers have shown they can shut down the run if they have to and Smith isn't imposing at all yet. I'd be much more worried about the Saints and Brees, those boys can score right with us.​
Obviously the Packers are the best team in football and I'm hard pressed to acknowledge any other team being a threat. There are certainly other teams with the talent to beat the Packers when they play poorly and I'm not declaring them unbeatable but I sure do like their chances.​
By the way, so even if Akers makes his field goals in the playoffs last year, that doesn't mean they'd have won. Why do people insist on calling a Packer victory a "nearly lost" or "could have lost" game? Besides, even though Philly added to their roster since last year, so did the Packers. So far the Iggles are only better than last year on paper, they certainly haven't done it on the field so far.​

packers020802

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Philly is the only REAL threat.
I don't want to see the Eagles in the Playoffs....
Vick can go off at any time and also has great weapons like DJax and McCoy...
Not worried about the 49ers OR Lions....
their defenses can't match up with us.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
Philly is the only REAL threat.
I don't want to see the Eagles in the Playoffs....
Vick can go off at any time and also has great weapons like DJax and McCoy...
Not worried about the 49ers OR Lions....
their defenses can't match up with us.

Vick can also do what he did last time in the playoffs against us.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

The Eagles don't pose a threat when they go scoreless in the 4th quarter. The media acts like they are the only team in football.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
The 9ers don't scare me. The Packers have shown they can shut down the run if they have to and Smith isn't imposing at all yet. I'd be much more worried about the Saints and Brees, those boys can score right with us.​
Obviously the Packers are the best team in football and I'm hard pressed to acknowledge any other team being a threat. There are certainly other teams with the talent to beat the Packers when they play poorly and I'm not declaring them unbeatable but I sure do like their chances.​
By the way, so even if Akers makes his field goals in the playoffs last year, that doesn't mean they'd have won. Why do people insist on calling a Packer victory a "nearly lost" or "could have lost" game? Besides, even though Philly added to their roster since last year, so did the Packers. So far the Iggles are only better than last year on paper, they certainly haven't done it on the field so far.​

The Saints biggest problem is defense.

If we get them in the playoffs, I doubt they are gonna get to Rodgers like they got to Warner and Favre back in 2009. Also that's why home field advantage matters.

They do possess a threat to us, but their defense will be the fall of them when it matters, just like Sunday when they could not stop Tampa Bay at all or get a single turnover against an average quarterback.

That's the Eagles, they get more excuses than any team in the league because their ESPN's favorite. Even had Akers made those field goals, you would have seen the Packers doing a lot more than they were in the second half. I still think the Eagles would have lost, field goals or not.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
na, i don't buy into the eagles hype. They will not beat the packers.
No the hype doesn't scare me either. But their team almost eliminated us in the Wildcard game.... again, we had no control over if their kicker made those kicks. He missed 2 of em. Had he made em, we'd have lost. Imagine that.

They are certainly capable of defeating us if we play badly, commit a few turnovers.

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am just not on the Lions bandwagon, I never really was. I mean what is it? They just rub me the wrong way.

I'm the same way, I think for me it was the fans, allllll year (since the lockout lifted) all I read on espn blogs and other NFL forums I read was lions fan after lions fan talking big before ever winning anything. Then the preseason hit and it got 10x worse. Then this recent winning streak came and again multiplied by 10. Hopefully a loss or two will shut some of these "restore the roar" a holes up for a few weeks so I can go back to watching the lions and hoping they win.

As far as top NFC competition I will say saints, they dont play D but they are the only team on offense I think that can keep up with the Packers. Detroit has dug itself from holes a few times with big plays and scored a lot of points as well but i think they are much too 1 demensional to hang for an entire season compile that with the fact that their "best" option at HB just got his 2nd concussion in as many months and they could be throwing the ball 50+ times every week. SF I feel the same way about, they are just too 1 dimensional on offense to keep up the scoring. Stop Frank Gore and pressure Alex Smith and he will make mistakes. Taking a look into the NFC East I dont see too many road bumps, the giants can be good, but they still have Eli and well, he's kind of like another QB out in the east in Rex Grossman, Good rex Bad Rex = Good Eli/Bad Eli. Eagles, well they could still get hot and be scary in the playoffs but it will take a lot for them to get that far at this point.

Castle Of Cheese

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I would pick the Pack. I just think that could be a great game. I am just not feeling many teams this year. So much blah.

Now who doesn't want the big Aaron Rodgers vs. Alex Smith showdown? :)

He doesn't show it very often, bur Rodgers still holds a heavy grudge about Smith going so far ahead of him. I would expect Rodgers to have a pretty epic game if this matchup actually happened.

PackerFanInTexas

Packer fan since '93
Reaction score
The 49ers.

Yes for me it's not the Lions. Or the Saints. Or whoever the flavor of the week is in the NFC East.

I love the feel of this Niners team. I think they will be here all season. Harbaugh is that good. He has them believing and he is a great coach.

They are one team I could see coming into Green Bay in the playoffs and trying to force you guys into a rough low scoring game so they have a chance to steal it in the end.

I love Brees but that Saints team does not scare me on the road. Lions have some growing up to do IMO. Talent is there but I am not feeling them. Giants are hot and cold.

Thoughts?
Kinda depends on how the Pack plays the whole season. Right now no one in the NFC beats them in the playoffs. At the moment they are that good.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
SF doesnt scare me, not that I have watched much. Detroit is a well put together team. I don't want to play a great defensive line, which is difficult for the Packers to handle.

peteralan71

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I don't like making bold statements after a big win from that team, I do agree that the 49ers might pose the biggest threat in the NFC. I honestly feel like they are going to outlast the Lions and Saints. We have to as well tho!!

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Saints and its not even close. They gave us our toughest game since chicago last season.

OP
OP
Jules

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
Saints and its not even close. They gave us our toughest game since chicago last season.

That is a good point. Saints certainly gave the Packers all they could handle in what IMO might be the best game I saw all season. In the playoffs I would expect your D to be better though.

I guess it's the Brees factor I keep going back to even if I don't always love the rest of his team. He is the best QB you will see in the NFC this year. Well, he is the best QB you will see all year period on your schedule.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
The 49'ers are creating a stir right now but I don't look for them to be really relevant until a one or two years. They are a growing team who are just now showing signs of promise. I don't think they will do anything this years besides make people look at them and say, hmmmm.

I'd actually put the Bills, Lions and 49'ers all in that group of good this year, really relevant in one or two years.

Vinniemack84

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have a really hard time seeing the Packers lose a playoff game before the SB. Possibly the 49ers...but I have no faith in Smith. Same for the Lions, but Im just not sold yet. IN the SB, Ravens or Pats. That's it. None of the other teams in the AFC are that great. Ravens have a down right nasty D. Dominant even. Pats have the same but on O. If the Pack plays the Ravens it will be about weather that D can stop him. If the Pack plays the Pats it will be a shootout and whoever has the ball last will probably win. No disrespect to the Packers D, but the Pats O is stronger this year than any year I've seen since 04. They can run it, they can throw it, and they have showed resilience late in the game. That's the game I'm hoping for of course because I think it will be epic. Rodgers v Brady. Can't get any bigger.

OP
OP
Jules

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
I have a really hard time seeing the Packers lose a playoff game before the SB. Possibly the 49ers...but I have no faith in Smith. Same for the Lions, but Im just not sold yet. IN the SB, Ravens or Pats. That's it. None of the other teams in the AFC are that great. Ravens have a down right nasty D. Dominant even. Pats have the same but on O. If the Pack plays the Ravens it will be about weather that D can stop him. If the Pack plays the Pats it will be a shootout and whoever has the ball last will probably win. No disrespect to the Packers D, but the Pats O is stronger this year than any year I've seen since 04. They can run it, they can throw it, and they have showed resilience late in the game. That's the game I'm hoping for of course because I think it will be epic. Rodgers v Brady. Can't get any bigger.

I think they may have a tougher time with Baltimore based on their D alone. My Colts own the Ravens, not sure why but we do. Well with Manning anyway, I don't think Painter can handle their D this year. Freeney usually gives Flacco fits. Perhaps Clay could do the same thing.

As for the Pats I still have to see them win another playoff game again too. It's been since their SB run in 07. In their last 3 playoff games they have been punched in the mouth by more physical teams. Which is why a Pats/Ravens playoff game would be very very interesting to me.

This Pats team is great at TE. Welker is great. They are running the ball well lately, very well. The o line pass protection might be a bit weaker though due to some injuries. Outside of Welker though I am not sure I would be too scared of their WRs right now. Sometimes Branch but he would not make me lose sleep at night. The Packers have more weapons.

The Pats D stepped it up big against Dallas but I have to see more. The Cowboys playcalling is putrid to me and nobody trusts Romo.

Honestly the Pats may not get truly tested by an elite QB all year with Manning out unlike the Packers getting tested with Brees. I have no doubt that if Peyton was there the Colts could put a ton of points on this Patriots D. In fact I won't be suprised if Painter does, he has been decent actually and we still have good weapons. Pats also have this way of sometimes making backup QBs look pretty good.

Vinniemack84

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think you may have a tougher time with Baltimore based on their D alone. My Colts own the Ravens, not sure why but we do. Well with Manning anyway, I don't think Painter can handle their D this year. Freeney usually gives Flacco fits. Perhaps Clay could do the same thing.

As for the Pats I still have to see them win another playoff game again too. It's been since their SB run in 07. In their last 3 playoff games they have been punched in the mouth by more physical teams. Which is why a Pats/Ravens playoff game would be very very interesting to me.

This Pats team is great at TE. Welker is great. They are running the ball well lately, very well. The o line pass protection might be a bit weaker though due to some injuries. Outside of Welker though I am not sure I would be too scared of their WRs right now. Sometimes Branch but he would not make me lose sleep at night. The Packers have more weapons.

The Pats D stepped it up big against Dallas but I have to see more. The Cowboys playcalling is putrid to me and nobody trusts Romo.

Honestly the Pats may not get truly tested by an elite QB all year with Manning out unlike the Packers getting tested with Brees. I have no doubt that if Peyton was there the Colts could put a ton of points on this Patriots D. In fact I won't be suprised if Painter does, he has been decent actually and we still have good weapons. Pats also have this way of sometimes making backup QBs look pretty good.

Pretty accurate analysis IMO. The Pats have a tendency to make scrub QB's look great. I will say though, this years Pats are tougher than they've been in some while. Physically. It's hard to sum up, but the eyeball test reveals some real fire in this team that has been lacking in recent years (post Brady's knee injury). Other than Rivers who is sorta an elite QB, but not on Brees level, your right about that as well.

I too need to see them win a playoff game again, been a few years now. But for the first time since Brady blew out his knee I have that feeling again that he is going to drive down and win games no matter what. Pats v Ravens will be interesting. But that said, Pats v Packers would be much more exciting wouldn't you agree? Just for the hype factor.

OP
OP
Jules

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
Pretty accurate analysis IMO. The Pats have a tendency to make scrub QB's look great. I will say though, this years Pats are tougher than they've been in some while. Physically. It's hard to sum up, but the eyeball test reveals some real fire in this team that has been lacking in recent years (post Brady's knee injury). Other than Rivers who is sorta an elite QB, but not on Brees level, your right about that as well.

I too need to see them win a playoff game again, been a few years now. But for the first time since Brady blew out his knee I have that feeling again that he is going to drive down and win games no matter what. Pats v Ravens will be interesting. But that said, Pats v Packers would be much more exciting wouldn't you agree? Just for the hype factor.

Well with Pack/Pats you got the utlimate QB matchup. It is a media wet dream. I am pretty curious though to see this Ravens D against Brady in the playoffs if this happens. I wish you guys played them in the regular season.

I have seen some toughness with the Pats lately but it's not so much about the D to me which I still don't trust yet. I see them trying to be more balanced again. More running.

Still a ways to go. Right now if the SB was next week I would pick GB. The Pats still have to grow on defense but they have time. I suppose Big Ben can be considered a sorta elite QB for your team to face soon. And the Bills have a good enough QB of course. And who knows if you face Vick and he goes off. So while you won't face Manning/Brees/Rodgers you still will get some good offensive tests.

Not sure where to rank Eli. I think the Giants could give you a tough game. They have some weapons and can get to the QB.

Vinniemack84

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well with Pack/Pats you got the utlimate QB matchup. It is a media wet dream. I am pretty curious though to see this Ravens D against Brady in the playoffs if this happens. I wish you guys played them in the regular season.

I have seen some toughness with the Pats lately but it's not so much about the D to me which I still don't trust yet. I see them trying to be more balanced again. More running.

Still a ways to go. Right now if the SB was next week I would pick GB. The Pats still have to grow on defense but they have time. I suppose Big Ben can be considered a sorta elite QB for your team to face soon. And the Bills have a good enough QB of course. And who knows if you face Vick and he goes off. So while you won't face Manning/Brees/Rodgers you still will get some good offensive tests.

Not sure where to rank Eli. I think the Giants could give you a tough game. They have some weapons and can get to the QB.

I'd pick the Pack as well as it stand right now...over any team.

Members online

Latest posts