Packers/Armed Services

Status
Not open for further replies.

PackOne

Cheesehead
Reaction score
With Memorial day coming up, I was wondering if there is any history with the Packers and those who have served/lost their life for our country?

Anyone have that answer?

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Packers have done a lot with current service personnel every year.

Should the franchise fold excess proceeds go to the VFW.

Some things can be misinterpreted and some gestures are best done privately. Laying wreaths and other things by young men who are not serving may not be best for the Packers image. Why knock the Packers on this??

Several former Packers were WWII veterans who served and had their careers interupted. The Packers have done far more than enough. They don't need to do more.

Memorial Day is more than a day for special "Sales" at commercial establishments.

As a veteran and known guys who are dead from missions they undertook, I'm fine with what the Packers have done and let's leave it at that.

OP
OP
P

PackOne

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Some things can be misinterpreted and some gestures are best done privately. Laying wreaths and other things by young men who are not serving may not be best for the Packers image. Why knock the Packers on this??

Several former Packers were WWII veterans who served and had their careers interupted. The Packers have done far more than enough. They don't need to do more.

Memorial Day is more than a day for special "Sales" at commercial establishments.

As a veteran and known guys who are dead from missions they undertook, I'm fine with what the Packers have done and let's leave it at that.

First off, no need ot take that tone. I was thinking of exploring the history of those that might need to be remembered this Memorial Day and their relation to the Packers, wherever you got the whole Packer's aren't doing enough comment is beyond me. I was simply asking for a history lesson, thanks for turning it into a rant. I was merely trying to honor. Where on earth did I knock the Packers?

EDIT: Secondly, who cares who lays a wreath. Wow.

While World War II saw the most involvement of NFL personnel, every conflict since the NFL's 1920 creation has seen at least one player contribute to the effort. According to history, 28 players fought in Korea, and one player, Chad Henning, traded shoulder pads for a flight suit in the Gulf War.

Three servicemembers with pro football connections earned the Medal of Honor in World War II.

Army Lt. Maurice Britt had been an end for the 1941 Detroit Lions before he shipped off for Italy. There, Britt -- described as a "one-man army" -- was seriously wounded in a firefight with German troops but continued to fight an enemy "superior in number." He was the first World War II soldier to receive the Medal of Honor, the Distinguished Service Cross, the Silver Star and a decoration from the British government.

The other two Medal of Honor recipients were Marine Capt. Joe Foss, who went on to become the American Football League commissioner from 1960 to 1966, and Marine Lt. Jack Lummus, who received his medal posthumously after being killed in action on Iwo Jima in the Volcano Islands. He played for the 1941 New York Giants.

Those who weren't overseas supported the war effort at home by selling war bonds. People connected to the NFL sold bonds that generated $4 million worth of sales in 1942 alone. At one rally in Milwaukee, three Green Bay Packers sold $2,100,000 worth of war bonds. For their efforts, hall-of-fame coach Curly Lambeau, Cecil Isabell and hall-of-famer Don Hutson received Treasury Department citations.

That's what I can find.

EDIT: Then you can lock it up since I seem to be getting attacked in my in-box.

I am aware that more than a million American fighting men and women have given, as Lincoln termed it at Gettysburg, the last full measure of devotion. Their valor and sacrifice made possible my freedom, my values, and my very existence.

To me Memorial Day should be a time of solemn reflection on some of the most sacred of human ideals: Faith, family, duty, commitment, heroism and honor. I am so profoundly indebted to all those soldiers, Marines, sailors and airmen who have given their lives defending us. Regardless of who they are affiliated with.

You then, should know more than anyone else, that to help re-educate and remind Americans of the true meaning of Memorial Day, the "National Moment of Remembrance" resolution was passed on Dec 2000 which asks that at 3 p.m. local time, for all Americans (that includes me) "To voluntarily and informally observe in their own way a Moment of remembrance and respect, pausing from whatever they are doing for a moment of silence or listening to 'Taps." I plan to observe that moment as well, once again, "in my own way".

The Moment of Remembrance is a step in the right direction to returning the meaning back to the day. What is needed is a full return to the original day of observance. Set aside one day out of the year for the nation to get together to remember, reflect and honor those who have given their all in service to their country.

On Monday, when I am at Oak Lawn, I think I will understand it's purpose just fine, as I have for the past three decades.

OP
OP
P

PackOne

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

I guess not. Apparently, some prefer that on Monday we spend our time choosing whether or not to have potato salad or coleslaw.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I guess not. Apparently, some prefer that on Monday we spend our time choosing whether or not to have potato salad or coleslaw.

Dude, don't even friggin go there. A potato salad\coleslaw debate will be bigger than any republican\democrat, evolution\creation, or johnny depp\orlando bloom debate and much more vulgar.

Potato Salad.

Johnny Depp...

Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken, I think A-Rod went to a military base this off-season.

He mentioned something about it in his OTA interview on Wednesday.

Other than that, nothing comes to mind right now, although I'm sure there is a lot more...

OP
OP
P

PackOne

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
If I'm not mistaken, I think A-Rod went to a military base this off-season.

He mentioned something about it in his OTA interview on Wednesday.

Other than that, nothing comes to mind right now, although I'm sure there is a lot more...

Alot of players do travel. The NFL has teamed with the USO for years.

Reaction score
Alot of players do travel. The NFL has teamed with the USO for years.

Yeah, I just wanted to subtly get the thread on topic again. :)

I remember reading something in the Packersnews.com 'Out of Bounds' blog about a ex-Packers and military service. I'll see if I can dig it out.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
CaliforniaCheez said:

First off, no need ot take that tone. I was thinking of exploring the history of those that might need to be remembered this Memorial Day and their relation to the Packers, wherever you got the whole Packer's aren't doing enough comment is beyond me. I was simply asking for a history lesson, thanks for turning it into a rant. I was merely trying to honor. Where on earth did I knock the Packers?

EDIT: Secondly, who cares who lays a wreath. Wow.

While World War II saw the most involvement of NFL personnel, every conflict since the NFL's 1920 creation has seen at least one player contribute to the effort. According to history, 28 players fought in Korea, and one player, Chad Henning, traded shoulder pads for a flight suit in the Gulf War.

Three servicemembers with pro football connections earned the Medal of Honor in World War II.

Army Lt. Maurice Britt had been an end for the 1941 Detroit Lions before he shipped off for Italy. There, Britt -- described as a "one-man army" -- was seriously wounded in a firefight with German troops but continued to fight an enemy "superior in number." He was the first World War II soldier to receive the Medal of Honor, the Distinguished Service Cross, the Silver Star and a decoration from the British government.

The other two Medal of Honor recipients were Marine Capt. Joe Foss, who went on to become the American Football League commissioner from 1960 to 1966, and Marine Lt. Jack Lummus, who received his medal posthumously after being killed in action on Iwo Jima in the Volcano Islands. He played for the 1941 New York Giants.

Those who weren't overseas supported the war effort at home by selling war bonds. People connected to the NFL sold bonds that generated $4 million worth of sales in 1942 alone. At one rally in Milwaukee, three Green Bay Packers sold $2,100,000 worth of war bonds. For their efforts, hall-of-fame coach Curly Lambeau, Cecil Isabell and hall-of-famer Don Hutson received Treasury Department citations.

That's what I can find.

EDIT: Then you can lock it up since I seem to be getting attacked in my in-box.

I am aware that more than a million American fighting men and women have given, as Lincoln termed it at Gettysburg, the last full measure of devotion. Their valor and sacrifice made possible my freedom, my values, and my very existence.

To me Memorial Day should be a time of solemn reflection on some of the most sacred of human ideals: Faith, family, duty, commitment, heroism and honor. I am so profoundly indebted to all those soldiers, Marines, sailors and airmen who have given their lives defending us. Regardless of who they are affiliated with.

You then, should know more than anyone else, that to help re-educate and remind Americans of the true meaning of Memorial Day, the "National Moment of Remembrance" resolution was passed on Dec 2000 which asks that at 3 p.m. local time, for all Americans (that includes me) "To voluntarily and informally observe in their own way a Moment of remembrance and respect, pausing from whatever they are doing for a moment of silence or listening to 'Taps." I plan to observe that moment as well, once again, "in my own way".

The Moment of Remembrance is a step in the right direction to returning the meaning back to the day. What is needed is a full return to the original day of observance. Set aside one day out of the year for the nation to get together to remember, reflect and honor those who have given their all in service to their country.

On Monday, when I am at Oak Lawn, I think I will understand it's purpose just fine, as I have for the past three decades.

Dude, relax....seriously.

OP
OP
P

PackOne

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Can someone PLEASE lock this one up. My original intention of learning a little history has been repeatedly missed. Be thankful I didn't post my Inbox today.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts