Packers are hoping they found another undrafted NFL free agent gem in Cody Heiman

OP
OP
JLW_51

JLW_51

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It isn't a for sure deal he will make the 53 man roster, but with problems at ILB and his ability, he has a good chance.

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
That would be a good underdog story if he makes the team. Hope him the best.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
When did this happen?
Even though it appears that standout linebacker Clay Matthews will make his way back to inside linebacker for this coming season, there are still a lot of questions at the other inside linebacker position.
I would like to have UDFAs and draftees and other street FAs beat out established starters as that makes the team even better. Good luck kid.

Pokerbrat2000

Opinions are like A-holes, we all have one.
Reaction score
When did this happen?
I would like to have UDFAs and draftees and other street FAs beat out established starters as that makes the team even better. Good luck kid.

It is also kind of a statement as to the quality of your starters that lose their jobs to UDFA's, no?

Spanky

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A piece written by the guy who said TT wouldn't draft a CB in the 1st.

D

Deleted member 6794

This is the time of the year when 32 teams are hopeful that they've found a hidden gem in their undrafted free agent class. Most will not, but Green Bay has a better track record than most.

Aside of Sam Shields the Packers haven't found any true gems in undrafted free agents over Thompson's tenure.

A piece written by the guy who said TT wouldn't draft a CB in the 1st.

The Packers didn't draft a cornerback in the first round. ;)

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Aside of Sam Shields the Packers haven't found any true gems in undrafted free agents over Thompson's tenure.

;)

Depends on your definition of "gem", I suppose. Players such as Jayrone Elliott, Geronimo Allison, and Lane Taylor have all been solid contributors to the Packers, and there have been others.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 6794

Depends on your definition of "gem", I suppose. Players such as Jayrone Elliott, Geronimo Allison, and Lane Taylor have all been solid contributors to Packers, and there have been others.

True, but a lot of other teams have had similar success in undrafted free agency.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Typical article for this time of year. I am betting every UDFA the Packers sign, they hope is a gem. Bet when and if this guy is cut, some poster will remember this article and post their surprise because, "the Packers were high on him"

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My point is that Curly posted that the Packers have had a better track recird than most teams in undrafted free agency which isn't true though.
They do. They have the 5th most UDFAs pn their roster and have gotten the 5th most starts with 136. When you consider the teams ahead of the Packers are Rams, Chargers, and texans are much less talented and therefore more likely to have UDFAs contribute. Other team is Seahawks, a protege of TT.

Curly Calhoun

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Typical article for this time of year. I am betting every UDFA the Packers sign, they hope is a gem. Bet when and if this guy is cut, some poster will remember this article and post their surprise because, "the Packers were high on him"

Yes. Think Tori Gurley.

I have no doubt someone fro the UDFA class will impress and make the squad, and Heiman is as good a guess as anyone I suppose.

D

Deleted member 6794

They do. They have the 5th most UDFAs pn their roster and have gotten the 5th most starts with 136. When you consider the teams ahead of the Packers are Rams, Chargers, and texans are much less talented and therefore more likely to have UDFAs contribute. Other team is Seahawks, a protege of TT.

Do you have a link to the information???

D

Deleted member 6794

title was "which teams have the most success finding undrafted free agents" article I read was from www.silverandblackpride.com

I can't find the article and am not sure I consider the Silver and Black pride a credible source. Maybe I have time to analyze the numbers later this week.

One number I have posted in the past is that least season a total of 104 undrafted players started at least eight games with the Packers being below the league average with two (Taylor and Gunter).

Half Empty

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Depends on your definition of "gem", I suppose. Players such as Jayrone Elliott, Geronimo Allison, and Lane Taylor have all been solid contributors to Packers, and there have been others.

Absolutely great example of subjectivity/semantics in a sports forum. I was also prepared to jump in with the 'only Shields' comment when this was posted. No problem with saying some UDFAs are solid contributors, but I certainly expect 'gems' to perform much above that status.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
Here is the "Silver and Black" article that was mentioned

http://www.silverandblackpride.com/...ve-most-success-finding-undrafted-free-agents

As far as calling a UDFA a "Gem", I have to agree with the sentiment that they have to do more than just make a team and contribute along the way. If they eventually make a list like these, than "Gem" they may have been.

http://www.footballperspective.com/the-best-undrafted-players-to-enter-the-nfl-since-2002/

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1626464-the-25-best-undrafted-free-agent-signings-in-nfl-history

http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/0ap3000000663921

D

Deleted member 6794

I think the method the author used is a bit flawed as a large number of undrafted free agents doesn't automatically mean a team has been successful but might indicate a lack of talent acquired through the draft.

In addition starts by undrafted players isn't equal to the ones that team found in UDFA immediately after the conclusion of the draft as those guys could have played for other teams in the league earlier as well.

Sky King

Reaction score
When Willie Wood, a player who is in the NFL HOF, is not even mentioned in articles of this type, the often youthful writers (of best ever lists) thought process for establishing such a list is highly suspect to me. Some writers and fans insist that championships don't count unless they're from the Super Bowl era. Willie played in the SB and not only made a key interception to help ice the game but he also held the SB record for longest punt return - a record that stood for 17 years.

Pokerbrat2000

Reaction score
When Willie Wood, a player who is in the NFL HOF, is not even mentioned in articles of this type, the often youthful writers (of best ever lists) thought process for establishing such a list is highly suspect to me. Some writers and fans insist that championships don't count unless they're from the Super Bowl era. Willie played in the SB and not only made a key interception to help ice the game but he also held the SB record for longest punt return - a record that stood for 17 years.

Willie was named as #6 in the 3rd article I posted above. Even more interesting with Wood, that was back in the 60's, when I believe there were 20 rounds. Of course only 13 teams were in the league at the time. So quick math...260 players were drafted ahead of Wood becoming an UDFA.

http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/0ap3000000663921

Kurt Warner seems to be at the top of most lists.

Members online

Latest posts